Really thinking about joining the RMR

Neil.Larsen said:
OK thanks for the help :)

I regret letting my fitness slip these past 2 years, I resorted to going the MTV generation route, computers game and all that. So me getting off my arse and doing this daily will give me some discipline too.

The only problem I have right now is with my shins/calves.... When i'm walking uphill for about a mile about halfway through I really feel my calves tense up and it feels like circulation is being cut off ( my trainers aren't the culprit), But on my return journey I dont have that problem.Hopefully its just a factor of strengthening them up, Its annoying because my cardio is not too bad, I do boxing pretty much daily

Well its good to know that you are now trying to do something about it. These days i try and plod around the Welsh mountains and entering Mountain Marathon events in the hope of staying fit.

Remember the term "best effort" which i still try to adopt on a day to day basis in my line of work!!

I can't help you with your medical problems as my medical training is purely "Paramedical" so it might be worth seeing your G.P for a referal or trying some different footbeds in your trainers.

Good luck!!
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Neil, Do you do any stretching before you run, if not then that could solve your calf/shin problems.

BTW do not ignore the advice you have been given re your girlfriend. If she cannot come to terms with the way you want to lead your life, she is not right for you, and it is best you find this out sooner rather than later.
 

Neil.Larsen

Midshipman
ex_rubberdagger said:
Well its good to know that you are now trying to do something about it. These days i try and plod around the Welsh mountains and entering Mountain Marathon events in the hope of staying fit

I wish I could do the same, unfortunatley I live in an urban part of bristol and the only hilly area I can train on is the slight slopes in St george park.

To compensate once I've reached a decent level of fitness (1.5miles in 10 mins 45 secs) I'm gonna start wearing a backpack with increasing weights
 
Neil.Larsen said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
Well its good to know that you are now trying to do something about it. These days i try and plod around the Welsh mountains and entering Mountain Marathon events in the hope of staying fit

I wish I could do the same, unfortunatley I live in an urban part of bristol and the only hilly area I can train on is the slight slopes in St george park.

To compensate once I've reached a decent level of fitness (1.5miles in 10 mins 45 secs) I'm gonna start wearing a backpack with increasing weights

If you have a car theres always the Mendips or if your really keen you can get down to dartmoor to train over the course of the weekend. My local training area is the Malvern Hills which are a great way of keeping your hill fitness.
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Good effort young thruster.
As XRD says Royal will usually put the Army (Perce) to shame and I'm sure you'll have a difficult decision to make regarding which Unit you'll want to join.
Weigh up what you really want, Light Infantry with the option of later trade training in the Specialised Qualifications offered then go with the Royal Marines, or Gunnery and their trades (Of which I know sweet FA so will not comment). Take your time ask if you can attend a few nights as an observer, or think up some questions ie What can you offer me once I'm trained.
Don't rush your decision, once made I don't think you'll be able to swap easily and it may raise questions about your commitment.
NZB
 

Neil.Larsen

Midshipman
The role I'm interested in for the royal artillery is the Observer Post assistant. And with the Marines, once fully trained I would hope to get either Sniper, weapons specialist or signals training.

Will be hard to think if I want to be in hiding calling in artillery or right up there clearing locations etc, both very different but both seem fun.
 
Neil.Larsen said:
The role I'm interested in for the royal artillery is the Observer Post assistant. And with the Marines, once fully trained I would hope to get either Sniper, weapons specialist or signals training.

Will be hard to think if I want to be in hiding calling in artillery or right up there clearing locations etc, both very different but both seem fun.

To add to your post highlighting your training area mate if like me you were raised in an urban area you have big things called tower blocks that you can run up and down to improve your fitness instead of using the lift. I should know i was born on the top floor of one. :thumright:

In reference to your last post, if you can sit for hours and maintain your concentration in the pissing rain and cold then feel free to become a FOO!!

If you complete training with the RMR you will then go onto continuation training as a General Duties (GD) or grav Marine for a few years before even being considered for the roles you have mentioned. However unlike Perce (TA) you will have a wealth of soldiering experience to take with when you decide to undertake your Specialist Qualification (SQ) or Additional Qualification (Adqual) which you probably wont as a TA soldier. There lies the difference amoungst other things between the RMR and the TA and Army in general. The training is long and difficult for a reason and is only rivalled by those dodgy "Artistic" blokes who hang about lay-bys iwearing Shemaghs and danner boots :thumright:

As NZBootie would say "Standards" :thumright:
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Feck me, ARRSE blokes in the TA unit are slagging it off big time for low morale, lack of training etc etc etc.
Silly feckers shouldn't be washing the dirty etc.
Still if it makes the RMR look good.....oh shit did I type that or just think it...er standing by for pain sesh. ^_^; :thumright:
NZB
 

CareerRecruit

Lantern Swinger
in regards to the times for the 1.5 mile run, ai for under 10 mins having a 9 on the sheet looks better than a 10, its not a problem to do it in 10.45 but if you can crack it in under 10 you have a more competittve time

the hardest thing i think for RMR selection is the bleep test you may find lots of people dropping about 10.5 ish if you hit 12+ thats will impress your training team but the min i beleve is about 11.3 to get 11.3 you need to get to 11.6 as you get three chances to hit the line cause just stopping at 11.3 is not what is know as "besf effort"

in a nut shell keep going on every test untill you are either told to stop or you lungs fall out,

oh yeah don't do what i seen some lads do on the press up test get to the limit then stop half the blokes just stopped once they had done the 60 lol it was funny like 15 blokes just all stopped doing press ups at the same time.
 

Neil.Larsen

Midshipman
The dreaded bleep test.... In school I remember hitting the 9-10 mark =(

Ah well, I've just come back from the park, did about 3 miles running/walking, and 2 miles walking back home. I can see a slight improvement so far, when I get out of breath I'm getting further and further into the run.

Embarassingly I hit 1.5miles in 15 minutes, can I blame that on the uphill slopes? ^_^; Anyway, tonight I'm gonna do some press-ups/situps and some boxing.

I'm liking this challenge, IF I choose the RMR over the TA I'll probably be going into that Holding Troop thing since I heard the RMR Bristol recruits in November.

*cracks open his Grolsch*

Edited : Holding troop already explained in thread below, oops :dwarf:
 

CareerRecruit

Lantern Swinger
lol uphill is not an excuse just push harder for the 10 min mark and then when it comes to doing it flat ground you should ace it in under 9 :)

do you press ups one a second for a min same for sit ups thats how its done now so like down up wait a second down uo wait a second and so on, aim for 8 pull ups again with a second or two between lowereing off and then going back up, in the test you have to wait till all the blokes your doing it with are all the way up, its ok on the first couple but if there a bit weaker then coe on to four or five and you could be hanging there with bent arms for 3-6 seconds, well thats assuming that you will be doinf pull ups in groups rather than one at a time.

thats how its done at Tyne anyway 5 blokes at a time doing pull ups i remember hanging for like eight seconds on my 7th rep for some kid to struggle up half way then drop off that last pull up i did was like the hardest of the week lol :whew:
 
CareerRecruit said:
lol uphill is not an excuse just push harder for the 10 min mark and then when it comes to doing it flat ground you should ace it in under 9 :)

do you press ups one a second for a min same for sit ups thats how its done now so like down up wait a second down uo wait a second and so on, aim for 8 pull ups again with a second or two between lowereing off and then going back up, in the test you have to wait till all the blokes your doing it with are all the way up, its ok on the first couple but if there a bit weaker then coe on to four or five and you could be hanging there with bent arms for 3-6 seconds, well thats assuming that you will be doinf pull ups in groups rather than one at a time.

thats how its done at Tyne anyway 5 blokes at a time doing pull ups i remember hanging for like eight seconds on my 7th rep for some kid to struggle up half way then drop off that last pull up i did was like the hardest of the week lol :whew:

RMR Tyne eh?? Met this guy yet?? if you havent then you should have a word with him as he's been around a bit. See link below

http://www.modoracle.com/news/Royal-Marine-Makes-History_8456.html?category=15
 
Top