Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really bad headaches after exercise, any ideas?

builderbambi

Lantern Swinger
After hard exercise, something like circuits or sprints I'm finding my self with really bad headaches never had them a few years ago when I used to exercise, I thought it would be dehydration, but I've been drinking loads ( also pissing loads though) any ideas? when I say bad head aches I do mean bad. Any help welcome.

Topstop

War Hero
I lay down in a darked room untill any urge to exercise goes away and dont get headaches. If you are worried about any changes to your health SEE YOUR GP. ffs. :?

older_joiner

Lantern Swinger
Doc first, but most likely it's high blood pressure from the high heart rate that comes about from sprint work. If you go above your lactate threshold, it is pretty stressful to the body and a lot of cortisol floods the bloodstream.
That is assuming you don't have any underlying medical issues.

But to the Doctor with you JUST in case would be my suggestion.

Eraserhead

Midshipman
builderbambi said:
I thought it would be dehydration, but I've been drinking loads ( also pissing loads though).

Try drinking water instead of Brandy. I find Brandy can give me a headache even when i am not exercising!

G

guestm

builderbambi said:
Thought about that just trying make sure there is a problem before I go.

I had a similar issue when I lopped a large chunk of my thigh off whilst drunk and hacksawing a coconut in half. I let it bleed until I nearly passed out then went on a Navy Internet forum to ask complete strangers their professional medical opinion.

Turns out I should have just gone to nhs direct after all.

A

angrydoc

Older_Joiner - you have an incomplete understanding of physiology. Hypertension-induced headaches are rare, and are usually associated with systolic pressures of >220. Physically possible, but very unusual in an otherwise healthy young person. Your cortisol babble also is wrong - your body had a natural cortisol surge at 0400-0500. If what you said was correct then headaches would also occur at this time. A little knowledge is dangerous...

Exercise-induced headaches are common, and can be innocent or more concerning. The big culprit is hydration. You say you drink enough, but make sure you're drinking isotonic fluids and nothing containing caffeine (eg tea, coffee, coke). If you're passing lots of urine it could mean you're adequately hydrated, but it could also be a sign of diabetes.

Some people find head and neck massage helps these headaches - not sure of the science behind it but a massage is never a bad idea! Simple painkillers (paracetamol, ibuprofen) are also options.

More concerning causes include heart disease and abnormal or bleeding vessels in the brain. Relatively rare. I'd still advise seeing your GP for a chat though. S/he could also dip your urine to check for diabetes - may as well nail that one on the head.

I wouldn't bother with NHS Direct (or NHS Dire as we call it). Complete waste of time. If you need to see a doctor, then see a doctor.

Angrydoc
A doctor.

older_joiner

Lantern Swinger
angrydoc said:
Older_Joiner - you have an incomplete understanding of physiology. Hypertension-induced headaches are rare, and are usually associated with systolic pressures of >220. Physically possible, but very unusual in an otherwise healthy young person. Your cortisol babble also is wrong - your body had a natural cortisol surge at 0400-0500. If what you said was correct then headaches would also occur at this time. A little knowledge is dangerous...

Exercise-induced headaches are common, and can be innocent or more concerning. The big culprit is hydration. You say you drink enough, but make sure you're drinking isotonic fluids and nothing containing caffeine (eg tea, coffee, coke). If you're passing lots of urine it could mean you're adequately hydrated, but it could also be a sign of diabetes.

Some people find head and neck massage helps these headaches - not sure of the science behind it but a massage is never a bad idea! Simple painkillers (paracetamol, ibuprofen) are also options.

More concerning causes include heart disease and abnormal or bleeding vessels in the brain. Relatively rare. I'd still advise seeing your GP for a chat though. S/he could also dip your urine to check for diabetes - may as well nail that one on the head.

I wouldn't bother with NHS Direct (or NHS Dire as we call it). Complete waste of time. If you need to see a doctor, then see a doctor.

Angrydoc
A doctor.

Fair point.
I should have left the cortisol remark out as it was inappropriate.

On a side note not related to this topic now- Is a constantly high level of cortisol in the blood a sign of stress (which might be from disease, poor recovery from training etc)?

builderbambi

Lantern Swinger
Many thanks for the advise, will get it checked out, i might be making the mistake of only drinking plently while and after exercising, not before. Going in to gp to get checked out just to be sure, didnt know if it was a common problem that i didnt need to bother the doc about.

Exercises always gave me a bad head ,Ocean Safari ,Highland Wedding,Stanavforant,and all those other exercises that got in the way off Jolly Jacks runs ashore

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Is it really that bad? Current Affairs 30
soleil ForcesNet: "John Inverdale Praises 'Really Good' Navy Rugby Final" Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS Grant Shapps: new ‘On Time’ statistics will stop masking whether trains are really on time MoD News 0
Coggie Really old photos History 1
C Really upset, and i dont know what to do??? Joining the Royal Navy 5
superpom Mmmmmm.....really? Diamond Lil's 84
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
SONAR-BENDER I'm a Girl Guide! No, REALLY! I am! Diamond Lil's 13
ws1602 What is it really like? Joining the Royal Navy 7
Mess Webly Time What's it really like in the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
B If these are Navy Leaders, we really are sunk The Gash Barge 91
SONAR-BENDER REALLY been stabbed in the back Diamond Lil's 3
slim Was the RN really better in the Old Farts Day? Diamond Lil's 102
S Navy Nursing, whats it really like?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
SONAR-BENDER Has Argentina REALLY lost the plot? Diamond Lil's 4
PompeyPusser Is this really the best we can do? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 125
blueschill A Chinese 3000mph Super Sub!? Really??? Current Affairs 13
stan_the_man They really know how to get things right in Cornwall fcuking Pointy Heads Diamond Lil's 19
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S HMS RALEIGH; What is it really like? The Fleet 83
Siannn. Just some really slightly tipsy daft stuff that I need to get off my chest... Diamond Lil's 76
fails_as_is Duty watch really turned to under the glory shower here... The Gash Barge 2
S What's life in the RN REALLY like? (please be honest) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
2 Worked on a gash barge but it wasn't really what I had pictured.... The Gash Barge 28
MG Maniac Proof beer goggles really do work! Diamond Lil's 20
LaurenMc What really pisses me off Diamond Lil's 52
frogman007 Footballers really are Poxy queens The Quarterdeck 8
witsend Do you really want to join up? Diamond Lil's 13
wave_dodger Is this really newsworthy? Current Affairs 9
Magda Films you really don't like (but actually do). Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
Rumrat Their really trying Diamond Lil's 33
stan_the_man The day I really did shit myself Diamond Lil's 11
janner Says it all really Diamond Lil's 1
markbsac no more to be said really :-) Current Affairs 14
The_Caretaker Really Funny Miscellaneous 0
T What CAS really thinks of Fast Jet aircrew The Gash Barge 7
G What is life really like in the marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Financial Times: "Is The Royal Navy Really Necessary?" Current Affairs 7
finknottle Are they really that stupid? Current Affairs 68
otherguy just a hello really Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
NotmeChief How it Really Is The Quarterdeck 4
superpom Veteran Sailor, Soldier Airman...does it really matter? Current Affairs 0
wet_blobby The Election....what'll really happen. Diamond Lil's 14
NZ_Bootneck The who really gives a shoite files!! Diamond Lil's 13
M Age really is no barrier Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
smudge3311 re joining.........yes really!! The Fleet 5
Morty Whats the royal navy really like Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
T Help in confirming individual is really a RM The Corps 19
chockhead819 JPA - is it really a **** up? UPO 16
pinkprincess Can it really be so close to October? The Gash Barge 15