Realistic Food Expectations in the Royal Navy?

RabC

MIA
Given that I used to help out in the galley on a semi-regular basis, as did other members of the ships company, I'm afraid I'm all for random people in the galley.
Then may I remind you that crown immunity in relation to HSE legislation is a very dodgy area. What’s nice to do and what’s actually permissible under law aren’t the same thing.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
The food safety people have just closed down a soup kitchen in Dorchester because those preparing and distributing the food did not have the required certificates and the premises (peoples own kitchens) had not been examined.

Bobosi

Bobosi

A propos of your potential application, what are you hoping to join as and when do you leave college?
I'd be applying after college either around September or Spring next year. I intend to speak to someone about my potential joining options, but I'd like to join in either Engineering branch (surface fleet), as an officer or on the accelerated apprenticeship scheme if possible.

Bobosi

Thanks a lot everyone for the responses so far. The menu does seem quite inclusive, and it's good to know that there are a variety of options available!

I suppose I can see it makes sense that I might not be allowed to prepare food for myself, even under supervision. Hopefully I'll have some chef mates kind enough haha

I can't deny that I love a fry up, but it's all about the pesky oils that get used unfortunately :c

Any more information or shared experiences would still be extremely appreciated!

Thanks again

Waspie

War Hero
I'd be applying after college either around September or Spring next year. I intend to speak to someone about my potential joining options, but I'd like to join in either Engineering branch (surface fleet), as an officer or on the accelerated apprenticeship scheme if possible.
If you indeed join the 'engineering' branch. You will no doubt get involved in the ritual boiler room 'pot mess', a delicious meal hardly ever seen by us upper deck workers!!!!
Ahhh, just read the officer bit. You'll be able to get a pillow fluffer to sort your scran out!!!! (That will be steward in polite parlance).:p

Ballistic

War Hero
If you indeed join the 'engineering' branch. You will no doubt get involved in the ritual boiler room 'pot mess', a delicious meal hardly ever seen by us upper deck workers!!!!
Ahhh, just read the officer bit. You'll be able to get a pillow fluffer to sort your scran out!!!! (That will be steward in polite parlance).:p
"Daddy, what's a boiler room?"

"Dunno son, ask your grandad..."

Taztiff

War Hero
Having left Queen Elizabeth this year, there’s no daily fry up for breakfast anymore,
But how can the various RN advertising threads tell the public that on the last deployment QE consumed X million sausages to go with the Y million miles of toilet roll?

But how can the various RN advertising threads tell the public that on the last deployment QE consumed X million sausages to go with the Y million miles of toilet roll?
We eat sausages other times of the day. Sometimes there’s sausage for breakfast, but it’s not every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Have breakfast at home before going to sea for a few days/weeks/months. That should see you through.
None of this continental malarkey.

giant_breakfast_challenge_castle_cafe-365132.jpg

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Having left Queen Elizabeth this year, there’s no daily fry up for breakfast anymore, it’s all continental breakfasts. Always a salad bar for dinner too if that’s your preference also. The chief caterer tried to get the 1lt to ban people eating in the mess squares also, as they ere going to the naafi for micro-pizzas or koka-noodles rather than eating whatever his chefs had prepared. I think he was of the fitness persuasion as he’d make all his chefs and caterers do their fitness tests at least once a term during the dogs. Of course this is on a big ship where you can afford such luxuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's have a nosey then.