Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"REAL" Carriers!!

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
OK, let the crabs provide the fixed wing aircraft and aircrew (they're all gits anyway) but this would work.

Hideous,

Providing the Aircraft (as they do at present) - ok. but do you honestly think that the crabs would go to sea en-mass?, I magine the PVR rate. Its bad enough with the 15% (suppossed) cross pollination of JFH squadrons at the moment. I think i've posted this somewhere before but it took the the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air force 3 years to go from 90% Light-blue in 1918 to 85% Dark-Blue per Squadron. In short the Crabs didn't like the life at sea. And if the banter is to be believed on e-goat, then nothing has changed.

Seaking824

Badgeman
How I wish they could have saved "my" Ark Royal RO9, for those of you that watched the second part of "sailor eight years on" where you see our Jossman Uncle Tom at the breakers yard in tears at the sight of our last great carrier was moving for all of us that served on her.

Now there's talk of scrapping half the RN's fleet and the new carriers, makes you wonder where this is all going.

Well I stil have all my old pics of her, and for those of you that may use Microsofts flight sim.........three of us have built RO9 in all her glory for use in the sim.

Just my two cents worth

slim

War Hero
Seaking824 said:
How I wish they could have saved "my" Ark Royal RO9, for those of you that watched the second part of "sailor eight years on" where you see our Jossman Uncle Tom at the breakers yard in tears at the sight of our last great carrier was moving for all of us that served on her.

Now there's talk of scrapping half the RN's fleet and the new carriers, makes you wonder where this is all going.

Well I stil have all my old pics of her, and for those of you that may use Microsofts flight sim.........three of us have built RO9 in all her glory for use in the sim.

Just my two cents worth

Sorry though Ark Royal was a great ship to serve in she was unfortunately well past her sell by date. Water rationing was the norm, no fun in hot climates. Air conditioning frequently breaking down, cat tracks lifting etc. She had served the RN well and it would have been nice to have had her replaced by a modern up to date real carrier

The Navy is it's own worst enemy as regards carrier aviation… the VSO's play by the rules and won't fight dirty.

They need to ram it down the throats of Whitehall and the committees every chance they get that the RAF were not there for the Falklands and it fell back on the Navy to pull the politicians arses out of the fire. The message to them what pays the bills should be loud and clear… without carriers you're out of the 'Navy' game and reduced to a glorified Coast Guard.

I worked with a Group Captain some years ago on a PR job, he reckoned their were probably more people allocated full time to running PR for the RAF than there were pilots in the FAA. Now he may have been exagamerating a bit, but the RAF are absolutely brilliant at the PR game.

Lets face it, they were the johhnie come lately to WWI and all the best British fighters were RNAS designs, won one battle in 1940, did not much since,(the last time they shot anything down was over half a century ago), but they trade wonderfully with the public on that one battle.

'never in the field of public relations has one battle been spun to so many by so few'

dondon

MIA
Sadly I doubt we'll ever get them , just cant see it somehow , shame realy as my best draft was the old Ark Royal in the 70s , A Real Carrier indeed , :cool:

Handler

War Hero
Well button pusher about time you updated that very slack and small knowledge of what the RAF have done over the years. Go and get in ya frigging cupboard--do abit of homework be fore making such crass statements!!

Handler said:
Well button pusher about time you updated that very slack and small knowledge of what the RAF have done over the years. Go and get in ya frigging cupboard--do abit of homework be fore making such crass statements!!

25 years on I'm still underwhelmed with their bombing mission on Stanley Airfield…

Lastbowcatboy

Midshipman
mechanicnog said:
I am a "new boy" to this august assembly of knowledgeable - but young? -
"WAFU's" and I wonder how those in current service feel about the prospect of serving in REAL carriers? (If we get them!)

As one of those who served in the the the Ark, Eagle - and even Hermes, Bulwark and Albin before they became taxi platforms for the bootnecks!! - I wonder how much expertise is still available - Will training need to be carried out with the Yanks? Or even - "God forbid" - the frogs?

I await the outcome with trepidation, and at my age that word has ominous overtones!!!

Bring back the tot!!

As another newbie to this arena, different branch (ex Eagle, Ark, Hermes, Illustrious) I too wonder about the above. I would love the chance to "bring back my expertise" and I still think that expertise would be viable on the "new decks". If you need a copy of the old AP(N)101 let me know.

safewalrus

War Hero
Bloody great flat top things with the wheelhouse on one side? Naw never catch on! flying around the skys like birds, ain't natural is it, I mean if God had wanted us to fly, he'd have made some of us into 'birds' wouldn't 'ee!

Bring back real ships with proper masts and sails and things, got a couple in 'Smith (thats Portsmith for them as don't know) One in Drydock, been there for years, Pusser don't half do long drydock periods these days, and one alongside the wall close by, not stored up yet, probably couldn't get 500 real Able Bodied Seamen to man her!

Ah well never mind eh! You might need 'em you'll not be getting any of these flat topped things - no chance, pie in the sky!

Lastbowcatboy

Midshipman
safewalrus said:
Bloody great flat top things with the wheelhouse on one side? Naw never catch on! flying around the skys like birds, ain't natural is it, I mean if God had wanted us to fly, he'd have made some of us into 'birds' wouldn't 'ee!

Bring back real ships with proper masts and sails and things, got a couple in 'Smith (thats Portsmith for them as don't know) One in Drydock, been there for years, Pusser don't half do long drydock periods these days, and one alongside the wall close by, not stored up yet, probably couldn't get 500 real Able Bodied Seamen to man her!

Ah well never mind eh! You might need 'em you'll not be getting any of these flat topped things - no chance, pie in the sky!

Talking about "Smith" my 1st instructor at Ganges was called Smith, He was a sailmaker, one of the last in the Andrew I believe. He taught me loads of the seamanship stuff. Funny how I ended up doin 13 years onboard flat tops?? Enjoyed it though. Don't see many frigates running aground these days, perhaps not enough left to play with.

Handler

War Hero
Just_A_Button_Pusher said:
Handler said:

25 years on I'm still underwhelmed with their bombing mission on Stanley Airfield…
Flt Lt David Morgan, for example, fought with distinction in the Falklands – as have Royal Marines and a few US Marine Corps pilots.

When 899 disbanded at the paying-off ceremony, a good ten per cent of those on parade wore the lighter blue uniform of the RAF.

avoiding_action

Lantern Swinger
I do believe that there's a Naval 'two and a half' flying Apaches with the AAC in Afghanistan. If we followed the 'light blues' PR example we'd have Naval Gunships all over the theatre!

We may be our own worst enemy with regards to 'blowing our own trumpets', but I'd sooner that than end up full of spin like our craustacian cousins!

[quote="Just_A_Button_Pusher]25 years on I'm still underwhelmed with their bombing mission on Stanley Airfield…[/quote]

I take it that you've always found flying long distances, in the dark, with a navigational accuracy of a few yards and with no contingency fuel quite easy? Personally, I've always needed a shed load of radio nav aids, loads of comfort juice and someone on the ground to reassuringly talk to me. In my not so humble opinion, BLACK BUCK rates petty close to CHASTISE and without loss of life. Objective achieved and Johnny Gaucho left in no doubt that his coastal aerodromes were not safe places to be.

Why do I always rise to the bait?

Without the carriers, CORPORATE wouldn't have been an option. The Vulcan raids and the Nimrod recces did buy some extra breathing space though. Carriers the size of EAGLE and the ARK would certainly have bought their own breathing space and we'd probably have lost fewer ships.

smoothbore

Lantern Swinger
[/quote] Flt Lt David Morgan, for example, fought with distinction in the Falklands – as have Royal Marines and a few US Marine Corps pilots.[/quote]

Dave Morgan had an interesting carreer:

Failed RN Helo pilot, joined RAF. qualified as an RAF Helo pilot. Subsequentely selected for fast jet training and flew Harrier GR3s. Seconded to the RN & flew the Sea Harrier. Not selected for promotion in the RAF so he transferred to the RN as a Lt Cdr. Not sure what happened to him after that but he was an instructor in 899 when I was around VL.

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
Smoothbore,
Dave Morgan is a top chap who last year published his memoirs, 'Hostile Skies.' The book is an excellent read and his modesty and objectivity is in stark contrast to Sharkey Ward's 'Sea Harrier Over the Falklands'. Both books are worthy of a read however.
Regards,
MM

chieftiff

War Hero
Magic_Mushroom said:
Dave Morgan is a top chap MM

Dave Morgan was a good pilot, he was my Divisional Officer on 801 NAS he wasn't too good at that though unfortunately, despite being a generally nice bloke, then again I don't recall many pilots that have ever made good DO's. Does he mention breaking out of cloud at some ridiculously low altitude and pulling 9G to avoid getting wet and ripping the drop tanks off in the process in his book? around about 1985 if I remember correctly! :oops:

chieftiff said:
Magic_Mushroom said:
Dave Morgan is a top chap MM

Dave Morgan was a good pilot, he was my Divisional Officer on 801 NAS he wasn't too good at that though unfortunately, despite being a generally nice bloke, then again I don't recall many pilots that have ever made good DO's. Does he mention breaking out of cloud at some ridiculously low altitude and pulling 9G to avoid getting wet and ripping the drop tanks off in the process in his book? around about 1985 if I remember correctly! :oops:

So basically what we are saying is that this David Morgan did his best work when working with 'the best'? Got that one, Handler?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Real carriers The Fleet Air Arm 10
MoD_RSS New coastal emergency 999 stickers could prove a real lifesaver MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Real milestones in £5.2 million environment improvements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England traffic officers prove a real role 'model' for 10-year-old Toby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Real Madrid CF vs Manchester City FC MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS E-seminar: Real-time PCR for food authenticity including horse DNA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pushing for real implementation of women in the peace and security agenda MoD News 0
Bad CO Real Life Getting In the Way Site Issues 82
MoD_RSS No-deal is a very real prospect. We must ensure we are ready: article by Michael Gove MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wages overtake inflation for 16th month in a row – fastest real terms growth since 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Experts to drive “real change” in support of teachers’ wellbeing MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The last surviving REAL Great Escape Survivor finally passes away History 0
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Lord Ahmad and Carey Mulligan: “International community must work together to ensure that children in conflict zones have a real chance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DASA Real-World Incident Hackathon MoD News 0
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Real-Life Comic Book Heroes Mark Submarine Service's Birthday At Faslane Dinner" Submariners 0
LateToTheParty Super fast application process... it's now very real Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Real-time interactive query language MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Security Minister: What is real is reasonable MoD News 0
Seaweed A REAL sea story .. The Book Club 1
MoD_RSS News story: Identifying cyber insider threats in real time MoD News 0
Guns Junior Officers and real secondary duties The Fleet 1
MrIndeed How similar is the royal navy entrance test example to the real thing? (Also need Help) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
chrismonc87 Always go to Parties in Torpoint...... this is real i kid you not Diamond Lil's 2
BillyNoMates Get yourself a real take-away. The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Mail: "A Real Maverick! Norwegian F16 Fighter Pilot Poses For A Selfie" The Fleet Air Arm 6
D James B has real mental issues. The Gash Barge 11
Ageing_Gracefully Competition ; The REAL Great Escape Competitions 8
2_deck_dash Real Ale Random Name Generator. Diamond Lil's 17
Ballistic Real Ale Festival Diamond Lil's 4
stan_the_man best best real man movies ever Diamond Lil's 43
R The Real Red Sailor Role Model The Book Club 9
Waspie A REAL SAR cab over Portland. The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil Defence Management: "'The Carrier Debacle Is Clouding Real Maritime Security Issues" The Fleet 2
soleil Navy News: "Men Of 45 Commando See 'Real Cause For Optimism' In Helmand" The Corps 0
S Real Player Bloody Computers 6
soleil Scotsman: "Transport Minister Under Fire - For Real" The Corps 4
golden_rivet THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT TUITION FEES - your thoughts please Current Affairs 197
soleil Mail: "Terror, not war, is our real priority" Current Affairs 18
soleil Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arrives" Current Affairs 15
2_deck_dash Turns out the real World is pretty shite after all. Diamond Lil's 21
H MPs' Not Real Medals (Merged Outrage Bus Trips) Current Affairs 28
sgtpepperband Think of a real person or character... The Internet - Best and Worst 12
Blackrat Tramps. The Real Vermin? Diamond Lil's 17
Clown_Puncher Be prepared: The real threat. Diamond Lil's 48
daffy1 **** Rambo, these guys are the real deal. Diamond Lil's 5
R Real Madrid? Sports and Adventure Training 25
W real newbie (medic) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
trehorn THE REAL FIELD GUN COMPETITION Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3