Ready to start training on 3rd Oct 2015 after passing all medicals fitness etc but had a call 3 week

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Hambone1, Sep 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was told the intensive treatment was several short courses of oral steroids.
    My CA is as shocked as I am as he reports due to my trade I needed an enhanced security check and it's cost about 20 grand to get me this far. He was not informed until today and this news was broken in a two minute phone call. Feeling devastated as I have been in the joining process for 18 months. They asked from Raleigh 2 weeks ago for a copy of my medical notes due to having a reduced kidney function in one kidney never had treatment or admission to hospital.and this has been unchanged for 11 years.
    What I'm asking is are appeal of this nature ever successful and any advice how to take this forward.
    My careers officer already making a complaint due to the unprofessional an insensitive way this has been actioned.
    Why pass someone medically fit 13 months or so ago without checking this information then and saving the defence budget 20 grand. I've resigned from my current job and at a lose as all I've foccused on was entey
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Rest assured I have every sympathy.

What happens is Raleigh screen your med docs ahead of your start date. Increasingly they are finding errors made by the contracted medical examiners. The medical examiners do change and as with all doctors and humans, mistakes do occur unfortunately.

On more than one occasion, this has actually occurred on the Friday before the Sunday of entry. More recently, it may happen with a few weeks prior to entry - even to candidates who may have waited a couple of years to join.

The problem for all concerned is an incorrectly attributed suitability for entry cannot be appealed if the medical condition or, in this case, the treatment is in itself a bar to entry. I've not heard of a service medical professional willing to accept the risk and waive the rules based on the circumstances, so sad to say, a favourable outcome is unlikely.

Unfortunately steroids can be an outright bar to entry under the circumstances stated under 4D.05 in the Joint Service Publication:

Whatever the outcome, best of luck. I would be delighted to be incorrect in my best guess.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks so much for your relistic answer. My mum is a nurse and she said she was very over cautious of me as a child and being a nurse the Gp tended to go on her request re when I needed steroids was only 4 occasions.
    Guess I have to try my best and get the navy to communicate this ruling to all including careers officers who don't know much about this. Why say 4 years free from asthma or treatment when the standards are so much more? I would have thought this was a case of direct desctimination against steroid treated people so to speak as it does not make medical logic ( my mum was an occupational health nurse) this is her view. also why spend tax payers re defence budget and let people progress before this information is obtained? After all from request for medical notes it took me 5 days to provide this info.
    I suspect you are correct in your reply now I know more re standards but still feeling bewildered about the whole thing. As it does not make medical sense and is a cruel way to deal with people.
    Would love a favourable outcome as feel totally broken right now.
    My mum intends to write to MP to highlight this process as we are all taxpayers the cost spent on my application would be another seaman for a year.
    Sorry to ramble thanks for advice
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Fully understand your anger and frustration. I would definitely feel exactly the same.

I sincerely hope things go your way, but it would be wrong to give rise to false hope. The whole situation has arisen probably due to an honest mistake by the contracted doctor not helped by a particularly complex set of standards.

The upshot, I guess, is all medical results will maybe need to be reviewed sooner. The problem would then result in everyone being TMU and further delays to the completion of selection.
  5. What were the steroids for?
  6. Steroids were for chest infection when asthmatic maukj. I do think the medical notes need reviewed sooner both for the financial implications of going through an uneccesary recruitment procedure and the mental welfare of candidates. My sister gas served 6 years in the RAF she also was treated with steroids for asthma but obviously never discovered.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Certainly evidence, if it were needed, that it is a recurrent error. Your sister, if discharged now, may have a case against the MoD for potential loss of earnings due to the error and this is the reason the standards are rigidly applied.

Prior to entry however, it's a condition of entry into the service that the medical standards must be met and whilst a hollow comment here, that is the reason the MoD legally reserves the right to withdraw the provisional offer of service unfortunately.
  8. My sister still serving but wants to leave rather ironic given the circumstances. So you think a letter fro my mum admitting she was an over paranoid and anxious mum re my treatenent would have any bearing? As my sister was so poorly she always aired on 5he side of caution. Being a registered nurse doctors always tended to prescribe her suggestion.
  9. P's thanks for all your advice it's do helpful and baking me come to terms with understanding this bombshell.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

The problem is the fact that the GP must also have felt the condition warranted the treatment, regardless of Mum's input. The issue is that the treatment was repeatedly requested and repeatedly prescribed,not so much the understandable driving factor. The condition must have been viewed as serious enough to require and continue to require the prescribed treatment. If it wasn't necessary, Mum would not have thought and insisted it was. If she hadn't, you may not be here today.

An appeal in this case, would be difficult as you cannot state there wasn't an issue or that there were no symptoms, nor can you claim or prove you did not take repeat courses of treatment.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I see what you mean received the official letter today and my only hope of any change is to prove I dont have asthma aparrentyl nice guidelines have changed and you need to be diagnosed with tests such as spirometry which my mum insists I don't have. Also thinking of going private to see a respiratory consultant. Your views would be welcolme
  12. Nice being national institute for clinical excellence.
    Should read on above post never had any investigations re asthma diagnosis only on clinical history.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

I'm afraid I'm not qualified to give medical advice. Possibly @angrydoc or @nemesis1066 may have something to add.

From a layman's perspective, all I'd caution is that the contemporary diagnosis would probably still stand, regardless of present day protocols. I'd urge caution in trying to claim it wasn't one thing if the alternative conclusion could also be a bar to entry. In this case the treatment, rather than diagnosis, appears to be the issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. @angrydoc please can you offer any advice o this please would be appreciated. In a nutshell I was diagnosed with astma on clinical history and symptoms alone. Nice guidlines now say a diagnosis should not be done so Ely on clinical history. Have been treated in childhood for as5hma including inhaled and oral steroids but have not had symptoms or treatment in over 7 years. Being a chronic condition I feel the diagnosis may be wrong and want to perhaps prove this with a 3 view with a respiratory consultant to try and overturn my r8.
  15. Why would they call it childhood asthma then?? If no symptoms in adulthood are you saying it's not asthma?
  16. Just to update I did pass the m3dical and wad due to start in 3 weeks after completing peak flow etc however at last minute they asked for medical records and due to treatment for childhood asthma not adult I have been told I'm not fit for service. 5 courses of oral steroids in childhood.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Brilliant :D

Try as I might, I can't remember how angrydoc chose his username.

"It's cancer, now [email protected] off" :)
    • Funny Funny x 5