Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading material

SqueezyCheese

Midshipman
Hi,

I'm looking at becoming a logistics officer in the surface fleet and have started the recruitment process. I passed my RT last week and have dropped off my pre-med and opticians forms at the recruitment office.

Anyway, In the post RT interview I was told of two magazines/ newsletter type things that I was reccomended to subscribe to for the AIB and SIFT interviews. One for the navy, one for the Royal Marines. Now, I've forgotten the names of them, but a quick google search came up with:
https://navynews.co.uk/
Globe and Laurel | Royal Navy

Are these the two recommended ones? Its just that the officer that did the interview mentioned that the navy one was free so I'm questioning whether this is the right one.

Bear in mind that i have no qualms about paying for either one of the subscriptions if they are going to help me get the job that I want, it's just that I'm currently busting my ass in a minimum wage job to make ends meet, so I don't particularly want to spend money that I can barely afford if it is not going to be of help to my end goal.

So basically my question boils down to, are those magazine worth getting? If not then what should i be reading to help me adequately prepare not only for my AIB, but navy life in general ? And are there any threads that I should read that will point me in the right direction for reading.

(sorry for rambling, just finished a 15 hour shift and am ready for bed)

Thank you in advance

soleil

War Hero
Hi,

I'm looking at becoming a logistics officer in the surface fleet and have started the recruitment process. I passed my RT last week and have dropped off my pre-med and opticians forms at the recruitment office.

Anyway, In the post RT interview I was told of two magazines/ newsletter type things that I was reccomended to subscribe to for the AIB and SIFT interviews. One for the navy, one for the Royal Marines. Now, I've forgotten the names of them, but a quick google search came up with:
https://navynews.co.uk/
Globe and Laurel | Royal Navy

Are these the two recommended ones? Its just that the officer that did the interview mentioned that the navy one was free so I'm questioning whether this is the right one.

Bear in mind that i have no qualms about paying for either one of the subscriptions if they are going to help me get the job that I want, it's just that I'm currently busting my ass in a minimum wage job to make ends meet, so I don't particularly want to spend money that I can barely afford if it is not going to be of help to my end goal.

So basically my question boils down to, are those magazine worth getting? If not then what should i be reading to help me adequately prepare not only for my AIB, but navy life in general ? And are there any threads that I should read that will point me in the right direction for reading.

(sorry for rambling, just finished a 15 hour shift and am ready for bed)

Thank you in advance

Welcome, SC.

Navy News is no longer given out free to candidates via AFCOs, but you can get copies from W H Smith and certain other newsagents. It comes out monthly and is worth picking up; as you are on a budget, start out by getting a single copy from Smith's each month, then take out a subscription later on. You can see the current issue and previous ones here, for a quick look-see before purchasing:

https://navynews.co.uk/digital-edition/archive?date=1356998400

Re the Globe and Laurel, you should be able to have a look at that via your Careers Advisor at the AFCO.

Something else which you will like and which will help you is "A Global Force":

http://www.newsdeskmedia.com/files/Global-Force-2013.pdf

You will find the Fleet Guide on the inside cover especially useful, the only caveat being that it needs updating slightly.

If you would like to see a hard copy of Global Force, ask your Careers Advisor about that.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Newsletters/Register-for-newsletters

Check out the rest of the website for building up your knowledge vai pages like these:

What the Navy Does | Royal Navy

Royal Navy Officer training | How to join | Royal Navy

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/f087bc28096f46d9a5a928d6bd99facb-0x0.pdf

If you have a Facebook account, sign up for updates from the Royal Navy page:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/royalnavy

That's enough to start with.

Last edited:

Grim_Squeaker85

Lantern Swinger
As a further to this, perhaps read a broad range of news outlets in order to get a good grasp of current affairs. It proved helpful for one of my Ex's when she faced AIB.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

SqueezyCheese

Midshipman
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. I'll certainly head to the local library for navy news, if its not there then there is a Smiths local to me and I'll get it there.

You've certainly given me plenty to begin with, I assume there are more things in the AIB thread?

Grim_Squeaker85

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. I'll certainly head to the local library for navy news, if its not there then there is a Smiths local to me and I'll get it there.

You've certainly given me plenty to begin with, I assume there are more things in the AIB thread?

Many things, some wonderful... Others terrifying and deeply disturbing..... Maybe.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AIB Reading Material Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Spooked Reading material....! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
1ManRiot Reading material wanted: RE AAS RMR 20
M Can you please Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 9
M Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 18
MoD_RSS Prime Minister opening statement - second reading of the UKIM bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Media Advisory Notice - Suspected terrorist attack, Reading MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reading incident MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second Reading of the Trade Bill 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helping protect Reading and Caversham from flooding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Queen has approved the nomination to the Suffragan See of Reading: 15 July 2019 MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Reading - £Competitive + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Electrical Engineer - Reading - £Negotiable DOE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Mechanical Engineer - Reading - £Negotiable DOE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Utility Arborists based in Reading, Salary £24k – £26k The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Field Sales Executive IT Security - Reading - £40k basic The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Reading Post: "Imagine Cooking Xmas Dinner For 160 – And Now Imagine It Underwater" Submariners 3
daffy1 Map reading The Corps 0
Stirling Some light reading for cornishgolfer..... Diamond Lil's 0
A Some sobering reading on the state of play for the RN Current Affairs 5
Guns Recommended reading lists Current Affairs 27
lewismansell Books about the FAA worth reading The Fleet Air Arm 15
soleil Reading Post: "Royal Navy sails in for Roadshow" The Fleet 0
2_deck_dash Some sobering reading. History 8
S What are you reading? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 25
A MoD & Bernard Gray report. Interesting reading. Current Affairs 22
S Raleigh reading... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Naval_Gazer Reading Between the Lines Current Affairs 5
snapdragon Any good RN reading? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
OC Stupid Material to read before entering Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Report 04/2020: Train collision with material washed out from a cutting slope at Corby, Northamptonshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA showcases protective material innovations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New bullet-proof material unveiled as Defence Minister visits MOD’s research hub MoD News 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Material / Stock Controller The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Material / Stock Controller The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
K BRNC - any tips on getting ahead with study material? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C Revision material for the Service Knowledge test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4