Reading material wanted: RE AAS

Discussion in 'RMR' started by 1ManRiot, Jan 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to find some literature on legality of anabolic/angrogenic steroids in the Forces. Obviously they are legal for a civvie to take, illigal for a combatant IIRC, but I can't find any document to confim this?

Any info guys?

Many thanks.

2. I have edited my post as I have just realised you are ex-army. Are you having a laugh? Or am I missing something? As you should very well know, the Armed Forces take into account anything not covered by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and various amendments to that Act (1971,2001,2005,2006) by making appropriate provision in local Standing Orders. This includes the use of anabolic steroids. Basically if a controlled drug has not been prescribed by a doctor it's use or possession is illegal. A simple concept really! Maybe a Service Policeman could expand on my answer.

3. Nobody?

Why on the forum page does it say that someone has responded but in here it doesn't appear? Was it a troll-like response?

4. Hi mate

Best advice i can give is dont go anywhere near it as if your fit and healthy enough then you dont need it!! How about trying some natural sports drinks instead?? I used to use MAXIM drinks during endurance type stuff and although it was probably more of a placebo than anything it seemed to work for me.

5. My galley was best dump the 24hr shite and go for tinned Irish stew and semolina,

Are those dog biscuits still used for lighting the fire.

6. Point well and truly missed.

It will no doubt give you energy as it contain calories and there are far worse options for post-workout nutrition, but its not something I would use.

Again, point missed. The Misuse of Drugs Act covers civvies, and I think you will find that purchasing, possessing and indeed using anabolic steroids (as a non-combatant) is perfectly legal in the UK.

Here is my question again, read what is there, and not read in between the lines:
    I strongly resent having to justify myself, but due to the small-mindedness and uninformed opinion of a few, I feel I have no choice.

One of my many interests on civvie street include athletic performance, health and nutrition, and it is a topic I study to great depth and contribute to various sports and bodybuilding websites. I was asked the above question a few days ago, and I informed him that as the law was a little hazy, I would look into it further for him and get some definative reading material and further expand my own personal knowledge base, rather than send him links to the various media-influenced, ill-informed scare-tactic documents.

I have never attempted to hide my real identity to those on here who know me through the RMR, in fact, I have told many as I have no alternative motive for using this forum and I know exactly who uses this website.

My stance on performance enhancers? I am neither pro-steroid nor anti-steroid. I know people who use very intelligently and responsibly, I know people who use who are complete idiots and don't understand even the basics, I know people who don't use but appreciate that some choose to and I know many, many, many people who don't know the first thing about sport who are very quick to pass judgement.

As for whether I have used AAS? I think it is completely irrelevant to be honest but I can catergorically confirm that I have never used AAS.

Now I would appreciate if a moderator could lock this thread for me as I "wrap my t1ts in" as a member of this forum.

7. Fella actually it is you missing the point. It seems you asked a question and did not like the answer.

Again, point missed. The Misuse of Drugs Act covers civvies, and I think you will find that purchasing, possessing and indeed using anabolic steroids (as a non-combatant) is perfectly legal in the UK.

Do you really think that the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 is only applicable to civilians? As I explained to you the Armed Forces cover anything not contained in the above Act by including it in the relevant Armed Forces Discipline Acts or Standing Orders. For instance if you even rolled up a quantity of tea and smoked it with the intention of getting a "high" you have commited an offence. Service law is in no way "Hazy"in this respect.

I'm trying to find some literature on legality of anabolic/angrogenic steroids in the Forces. Obviously they are legal for a civvie to take, illigal for a combatant IIRC, but I can't find any document to confim this?

I have pointed you in the direction of either the Army Act 1955, The Airforce Act 1955, The Naval Discipline Act 1957 and your local Standing Orders. Is that not literature enough?

Therefore listen and listen carefully. As a serviceman it is illegal to buy, possess or use anabolic steroids. If you decide to wrap your tits in with this forum so be it. Use anabolic steroids as a serviceman and be caught doing so then say goodbye to your career.

I am in no way implying that you personally might have used anabolic steroids and am generalising in respect to servicemen whilst answering your original question.

8. The comments i made was meant to help and not to hinder you in any way. If this has annoyed you then well tough quite frankly!I do resent the tone you have taken in your response to my post like i know fcuk all about fitness in any way whatsover!! Have you done any endurance events that leave you having to walk on crutches for a week afterwards?? have you experienced Bergen burns from tabbing/yomping over the hills with a 60lb plus Bergen?? If you do you will know that steroids and such like are no aid to getting you from A-B any better than scoffing a jam sarnie!!

It was like the other gash questions people get asked on here such as "what boots should i wear or how do i do a correct pressup"?? Again quite frankly it doesn't matter mate as its all in the mind and only helps you so get so far before determination and willpower kicks in!!

Finally i think people are looking for a free fcuking ride in RT as there was never the advice available that you could get from this site and others.

Rant over

9. csb worked for me

10. drugs of any kind dont have NO place in th RN, there will be lots of youngters fighting to succeed the last thing they need is an influence like yours as stated before if you cant do it under your own determination and will power dont do it its not for you

11. Steroids are a Schedule 4 Controlled drug in the UK, so hardly legal, unless proscribed by your Doctor.
    I would be extremely careful before taking anything that was not proscribed by your Doctor as HM Forces now drug test and a fail would see you out on your tufty quick smart.
    Why do you need steroids anyhow, if you're exercising properly, ie following the programme you've been given by your Unit PTI with rest days/ hard days/ easy days/rest days then your muscles should be repairing themselves easily enough on their own.
    Prolonged steroid usage leads to testicular shrinkage and we don't want to go there buddy.

12. Along with alot more serious side effects. Shouldn't be used external to the forces, never mind in them. (obviously unless they are prescrbied for genuine reasons)

13. Which means that if you are in posession of a Medication covered by the Schedule that hasnt been prescribed for you or have your name on,then you are in posession of an illegal Substance and as such are liable to prosecution.Any Medication with a POM legal category MUST by Law be prescribed to YOU in name.So in a nutshell,unless they have been prescribed to you they are illegal to take and hold or otherwise dispose of.

14. Edited by me for repeating myself: I asked FRANK:

The male hormone, testosterone, is an anabolic steroid. The effects of the other anabolic steroids are often very similar to the effects of testosterone. The anabolic steroids can be used in medicine to treat anaemia and muscle weakness after surgery. They shouldn't be confused with the other main kind of steroids, corticosteroids, which are used to treat other medical conditions, such as asthma, eczema and skin inflammations.

Slang: Street names for drugs can vary around the country. Roids. Product names include Sustanon 250, Deca-Durabolin, Dianabol, Anavar, Stanozolol.

The effects

Sports enthusiasts claim steroids make them able to train harder.
    If taken during a strict exercise regime, they can help build muscle mass.
    They can also help users recover from strenuous exercise faster.
    Chances of getting hooked

A user can quickly become psychologically dependent (meaning you develop an increased desire to keep taking the drug even in spite of possible harmful effects).

After stopping, withdrawal symptoms can include headaches, lethargy and depression.

The law

Anabolic steroids are Class C drugs to be sold only by pharmacists with a doctor's prescription. It's legal to possess or import steroids as long as they're for personal use. But possession or importing with intent to supply (which includes giving them to friends) is illegal and could lead to 14 years in prison and an unlimited fine.

Appearance and use

Anabolic steroids can be bought as tablets to be swallowed or as a liquid which is injected.

They're often used by bodybuilders, athletes and other sports people because of the performance enhancing effects. Some people at times consume 10-100 times the medical dose.

Cost

Prices can vary from region to region. Approximately £20 for 100 tablets. The prices given here are an average of street prices reported from 20 different parts of England.

Purity

Many counterfeit anabolic steroids which are sold don't have the same effect. In fact, users can end up paying for tablets that have no active ingredient at all. Also, it's not unusual for anabolic steroids intended for veterinary use to be sold.

The risks

Users claim the drug makes them feel more aggressive. Normally calm people can become irritable and aggressive, or even violent, and they can experience mood swings.
    If you're young, abuse of anabolic steroids can stop you growing properly.
    Injecting any drug can cause vein damage, ulcers and gangrene particularly with dirty needles. Shared needles and other injecting works can help the spread of HIV and hepatitis virus infections.
    If you're male, regular use can lead to erection problems, growing of breasts, becoming sterile and developing acne. It can also make your testicles shrink.
    If you're female, you can get acne, extra facial hair, a deep voice, shrinking breasts, an enlarged clitoris, an increased risk of menstrual problems and changes in sex drive.
    You could experience dramatic mood swings.
    You may find that you start getting paranoid and confused, along with having trouble sleeping.
    Steroids can also give you high blood pressure and increase your risk of liver failure, stroke or heart attack.
    (Source: Frank)

15. I did not ask about taking steroids. I am not taking steroids, I haven't taken steroids in the past and I am not considering steroids in the future. Not once have I suggested I am yet every single repsonse that has followed has assumed that I am?

16. Are you talking to me? Haven't you read the full post? Have I given the indictation that I intend to use or are you making assumptions?

For the record, artificial hormones create an environment within the body of ample serum artificial testosterone, so the testes and andrenal gland no longer produce their own, leading to temporary shrinkage whilst on a cycle.
    This is why idiots shouldn't take them (which IME seems to be 95% of users).

Thankfully, somebody else has already pointed out that you are wrong:

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of this post, but the person asking me the question was not somebody in the forces or planning on going in the forces.

17. Erm, correct me if i'm wrong but this could all of been tidied up nicely if you had actually mentioned this in the first place instead of citing bollocks!!

18. I never said you were taking steroids. In fact I pointed out to you that I was never implying such.The specific question you asked was reference the legality of anabolic steroids in the Armed Forces, therefore I have read your post correctly. The use of anabolic steroids in the Armed Forces is illegal, simple and I have directed you to the relevant references.

Actually you are quite correct in respect to the law relating to the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 being "hazy". Most Anabolic Steroids but not all, are Class C drugs and as such are subject to the relevant penalties, ie possession up to 2 years imprisonment and supply up to 14 years imprisonment. They are not "legal" as you incorrectly state. Police forces are given certain leeway under the Act, as to the decision to prosecute or not when personal use is involved depending on circumstances. In the UK anabolic steroids are a controlled drug and can only be issued by a pharmacy in accordance with a Doctors prescription. Although it is perfectly legal to possess them for your personal use (under certain circumstances, and they must be in the form of a medicine), it is illegal to import, or supply. This begs the question as to where the drugs come from in the first place? Over the internet? is that not importation?

Have a nice day!

19. Boring! all it takes is guts, not drugs - that should be that

20. Was that 'roid rage?

I thought that there was an all encompassing substance abuse charge, but all I could find in QRRN was: