Read this -'A Memoir of The Pacific War'......

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
'Goodbye Darkness' by William Manchester

Can't rate this book highly enough. First read it at school and have read it many times since. The author was a historian and journalist who served in the US Marine Corps in WW2. Its a history of the Pacific War interspersed with his autobiographical accounts of his combat service on Okinawa. He travels back to the places he served in and where the major battles took place (he meets an RN Chief Diver on Tarawa (1978) carrying out ordnance disposal from the war). Track it down and read it, up there with the best war biographies ever written, powerful and moving.

Cheers for the heads up, I'm interested in Burma/Pacific war history, can't seem to find as many books on it as you can Europe/desert.

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
wet_blobby said:
Cheers for the heads up, I'm interested in Burma/Pacific war history, can't seem to find as many books on it as you can Europe/desert.

Don't know if you have read it Blobby but one of the best autobiographies of WW2 (imho!) is a memoir of the Burma campaign -

'Quartered Safe Out Here' by George Macdonald Fraser (he wrote the Flashman books as well) is an excellent book. He was in the Border Regiment in 1944/45 as a young lad.

Excellent book mate, my copy has been dug out about two weeks ago for a re-read. Always wondered about Shakespeare and military service after reading it first time around.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Concur, Shellback, read it ages ago but still remember it. First class account of real life.

charlieoppo

Badgeman
Just recently finished "Nemesis" by Max Hastings, covering the battle for Japan in Burma, China and the overall Pacific Theatre.
A brilliant and detailed account that pulls no punches, particularly re McArthur's publicists etc, and the overall stranglehold that the Trade Unions had on the Aussie war effort.
In short, thoroughly recommended.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
NZ Dockers also, went on strike when supposed to be loading ships for Guadalcanal in Wellington (come to think of it, I think that's in Manchester's book). Our own refused to get cracking on loading armoured vehicles for D-Day which resulted in some of them sinking due to bad waterproofing with some loss of life. Monsarrat has some things to say about unionised labour during the war in The Cruel Sea.

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
charlieoppo said:
Just recently finished "Nemesis" by Max Hastings, covering the battle for Japan in Burma, China and the overall Pacific Theatre.
A brilliant and detailed account that pulls no punches, particularly re McArthur's publicists etc, and the overall stranglehold that the Trade Unions had on the Aussie war effort.
That was a good read as well Charlie, a follow on from 'Armageddon' which was his book about the end of the war in Europe.

Incidentally I got bent out of shape about an article that Sir Max wrote in the Daily Mail 2 years ago (I know, I shouldn't have been reading the rag in the first place) and sent a letter of complaint from 'furious' of Gosport. It wasn't printed but I'll give him his due a few weeks later a reply from the man himself arrived, apologising for me finding offence but reiterating his argument. It was one of the nicest 'Get F**ked' letters I've ever had.

Jack77

War Hero
charlieoppo said:
I remember my Dad telling me how as a young RAAF recruit, he was sent to load ships in Brisbane because the dockies were on strike. Bastards.
Another good read is "The Jungle is Neutral" by F Spencer-Chapman, describing his guerilla operations against the Japs in Malaya.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OC Stupid Material to read before entering Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Read your child a book this Christmas, says Children’s Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Brits urged to read travel advice ahead of Bank Holiday trips MoD News 0
D Please read Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Earned Your Dolphins? If "Yes" then Read On. Submariners 8
boatresearchservices KIWI Class Boat ,ex crew ? owners of KIWI class vessels? ex owners? please read . The Fleet 0
R Anyone in Milton Keynes training for their PJFT? Read This. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
GrumpyGit Naval Pubs - an interesting read Diamond Lil's 0
SONAR-BENDER I have just read.......... The Book Club 5
blueschill Destiny Raids Info plz read + Friend Request GamerTag List Gaming 1
soleil Times: "MPs Want To Read The Small Print In £440m Army Recruits Deal" Current Affairs 11
S Ex-sailor relives torpedoed ship and POW camp terror Read more: http://www.thisisglo History 1
M Any books I can read/study before MA start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Navy veteran hoping to reunite family with this precious picture Read more: http://w History 0
Blackrat The Gash Barge - Please Read The Gash Barge 0
SONAR-BENDER NOT to be read by SPB! Diamond Lil's 0
G Free - On Line - Read of wasted Resource The Book Club 0
L WHAT DOES TO2 MEAN...please read History 3
G Good Nautical Non Fiction books to read The Book Club 3
BillyNoMates Extra! Extra! Read all abart it! Diamond Lil's 0
SEP86 Relocation Leave - If you are being assigned you may want to read. UPO 15
boredwafu CHF - Crabs stiffing us?? Read and respond..... The Fleet Air Arm 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp .....read before you die The Book Club 10
J The Italian who went to Malta (Read with Italian accent) Blue Jokes 0
B READ PLEASE Eternal Voices Concert over half of tickets sold The Corps 0
sgtpepperband Off to the USA in the next 2 years? Read this! Travel & The Great Outdoors 2
Merlin28 Funniest thing I have read for ages Diamond Lil's 40
J Post if you read Navy News Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 36
R Poetry Worth a Read- very apt. The Quarterdeck 4
Rumrat Good read Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
X.R.D Monty. Read your P.M's you throbber!!! The Gash Barge 5
trelawney126 Browns had his Horrorscope Read Current Affairs 2
Chicogiz Read! The Gash Barge 4
trelawney126 Hello mum this is going to be hard for you to read Current Affairs 19
NotmeChief Why was Jackson not found guilty? - Read this. Current Affairs 17
WhizzbangDai 'Phoenix Squadron' - brilliant read Hobbies & The Great Indoors 3
G What do you read when you're away? The Quarterdeck 40
wet_blobby Read this all Kernow peasants... Diamond Lil's 37
R Read 'The Peckham Rifles' blog - it's a bit of a laugh Diamond Lil's 2
NotmeChief You should read this Warning. Bloody Computers 3
K Channel Dash, read and be humbled History 0
Chicogiz read this - RAF reg The Corps 18
Squirrel Parental responsibility - don't read if easily angered! Current Affairs 9
BillyNoMates Don't read my Blog......read his. Current Affairs 0
wet_blobby NZB......read your pm's Diamond Lil's 1
T A humbling read about BLESMA - Times 05/01/08 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
chieftiff The RR Art debate poll, please read post 1 before posting. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 30
F LADIES are not to read this - MEN only. The Gash Barge 4
skyvet Another good read Submariners 2
D THE SUBMARINERS FORUM Welcome please read this sticky! Submariners 11