Read this -'A Memoir of The Pacific War'......

Discussion in 'History' started by shellbackmac, Mar 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Goodbye Darkness' by William Manchester

Can't rate this book highly enough. First read it at school and have read it many times since. The author was a historian and journalist who served in the US Marine Corps in WW2. Its a history of the Pacific War interspersed with his autobiographical accounts of his combat service on Okinawa. He travels back to the places he served in and where the major battles took place (he meets an RN Chief Diver on Tarawa (1978) carrying out ordnance disposal from the war). Track it down and read it, up there with the best war biographies ever written, powerful and moving.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Cheers for the heads up, I'm interested in Burma/Pacific war history, can't seem to find as many books on it as you can Europe/desert.

3. Don't know if you have read it Blobby but one of the best autobiographies of WW2 (imho!) is a memoir of the Burma campaign -

'Quartered Safe Out Here' by George Macdonald Fraser (he wrote the Flashman books as well) is an excellent book. He was in the Border Regiment in 1944/45 as a young lad.

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Excellent book mate, my copy has been dug out about two weeks ago for a re-read. Always wondered about Shakespeare and military service after reading it first time around.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Concur, Shellback, read it ages ago but still remember it. First class account of real life.

6. Just recently finished "Nemesis" by Max Hastings, covering the battle for Japan in Burma, China and the overall Pacific Theatre.
    A brilliant and detailed account that pulls no punches, particularly re McArthur's publicists etc, and the overall stranglehold that the Trade Unions had on the Aussie war effort.
    In short, thoroughly recommended.

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

NZ Dockers also, went on strike when supposed to be loading ships for Guadalcanal in Wellington (come to think of it, I think that's in Manchester's book). Our own refused to get cracking on loading armoured vehicles for D-Day which resulted in some of them sinking due to bad waterproofing with some loss of life. Monsarrat has some things to say about unionised labour during the war in The Cruel Sea.

8. That was a good read as well Charlie, a follow on from 'Armageddon' which was his book about the end of the war in Europe.

Incidentally I got bent out of shape about an article that Sir Max wrote in the Daily Mail 2 years ago (I know, I shouldn't have been reading the rag in the first place) and sent a letter of complaint from 'furious' of Gosport. It wasn't printed but I'll give him his due a few weeks later a reply from the man himself arrived, apologising for me finding offence but reiterating his argument. It was one of the nicest 'Get F**ked' letters I've ever had.

9. Another good book on the war in the Pacific is "Flyboys" by James Bradley. Well worth a look!!

10. I remember my Dad telling me how as a young RAAF recruit, he was sent to load ships in Brisbane because the dockies were on strike. Bastards.
    Another good read is "The Jungle is Neutral" by F Spencer-Chapman, describing his guerilla operations against the Japs in Malaya.