.....read before you die

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Mar 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't even raise a wry smile with me. The only thing that I found of interest was that Michael Gove thinks that children should be reading books at the rate of one a week, which I find a preposterous idea. Perhaps that explains Gove's Penfoldesque countenance.

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Why, my ten year old will read 2-3 a week and I don't think he is especially bright, just likes to read [and play football, rugby and all normal outdoors things too]. What's so odd about reading one book a week?

3. I've checked on what Gove actually said, and it seems he was talking about children reading a novella a week. A novella is considered short enough to be read at one sitting, and is usually little more than a short story. I think that by saying 'a book a week' Gove was perhaps trying to grab headlines, as anything I have read that would constitute a novella has been as a collection of short stories numbering in double figures, in a single binding.

4. :evil3: In my far from humble opinion the greatest book ever is" From Here to Enernity" by James Jones. So there!!!:slow:

5. I'll tell you whats odd about that, a ten year old that enjoys outdoor things!! My brother and his bunch of tribesman don't even look outside, its xbox 360 online or Facebook! You got a good one there wave_dodger, keep hold of it ;-)

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't get me wrong both of my mini-beats have a Nintendo DS and an iTouch and we have a PS3[used mainly as a media player], a WII and an XBox [all courtesy of vouchers/deals I might add] - but 80% of their time is spent outdoors, my youngest will spend hours dress as a booty <the shame> and playing soldiers and making dens, the oldest is never happier than when we has a football attached to his foot. I think its because where we live (in a married patch) there are so many kids and the houses are small we always kick the tribe outdoors :)

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

8. After a very quick scan through I would recommend The Alchemist, and Saturday without hesitation. War and Peace is great but I doubt everybody's cup of team. I agree that Ulysses is hard going, and 100 Years Of Solitude was,for me, very dull indeed. And yes - I used to read more than one book a week when I was younger - shame I don't have the time anymore.

9. Since I bought the Kindle I have read books that I would never have thought buying.
    Plenty of RN stories and one I'm reading at the moment.
    A very good tale of a young man,fighting the Dutch at sea with really good descriptions of the ships fighting and life at sea although a bit brief in parts.
    The main crux of the story and the title by George Alfred is "When London Burned" a tale of the great fire and awful descriptions of the Great Plague.
    The author lived the late 18th century so he knew the score.
    Not sure if you can buy it in book form but it cost me 49 pence[I think] from Amazon for the Kindle.
    I like this book a lot.

10. If I have the time and a book grabs me then Iv often read a novel a day. Especially if Im unable to sleep. Reading is a great way to escape from the stress around you.

Currently re-reading much of Douglas Reemans novels. Brilliant and well recommended.

That article made me chuckle. Have to agree with many of the book descriptions there :laughing2::laughing2::laughing2::laughing2: