Reactor glasses

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
Hey guys,

Bit of a weird question, I'm in need of new glasses and was going to get the reactor ones that turn into sunglasses when the sun's out.

Would I be allowed these at Raleigh and such? Just wondered if it'd look bad wearing sunglasses during marching and a parade?

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
I get you were joking but my question was never answered? I don't want to buy a pair of glasses that'll be useless during my phase 1 and 2 training.

I get you were joking but my question was never answered? I don't want to buy a pair of glasses that'll be useless during my phase 1 and 2 training.
My advice is to get yourself two pairs of specs. One with clear lenses for work and play and second tinted pair to look cool when the need arises.

There was a chap in phase 1 a few years back who had black shaded glasses on constantly. It bought a bit of attention off drill instructors but once explained everything was fine. I think the glasses were to do with light sensitivity or something similar. They didn't half make him stand out but he he was aloud them.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
From BR 3 (Dress Regs Chapter):

3820. Glasses and Sunglasses

a. Both glasses and sunglasses shall be of conservative design and colour. Carrying cases shall not be visibly carried in or on uniform dress. Personnel who normally wear glasses may wear either conventionally framed prescription sunglasses or conservatively styled clip-on sunglasses when conditions and circumstances dictate. Sunglasses and reactive style glasses are not permitted on ceremonial parades.

So no, you won't be allowed to wear them during drill instruction or on parade. The only exception I've heard of is when there's a medical reason that they need to be worn. Hope this helps.