Re-Joining the RN - Some Advice Please..

Oldest_Nozzer

Midshipman
Good Day All,
I know this post has been posted numerous times but i cant quite find the answers i'm looking for, any help advice and general p*ss taking welcome ;-)

I originally joined in 2002 at the young age of 16, passed Raleigh with ease, a nice 8 weeks holiday... I did a few years Service Sonar Submariner.. But left when i was denied any chance to transfer and serve on surface fleet.
I'm now 33 and in all honesty i've hated civilian life since i left, so i have got the cogs moving to Re-join (Yes at 33, Oldest Nozzer and grandad shippers) in to the mine warefare branch..
I have blitzed my RT test, Sailed the interview, and have been TMU'd on a slight high blood pressure and BMI...
I have lost weight and got my fitness up to scratch.. Got fitted with a 24hr ambulatory blood pressure monitor, and have literally spent the last 8 weeks trying to get CAPITA and my GP to communicate with each other.
Has anyone else had problems with CAPITA as i don't remember dealing with them when i first joined up?
And am i looking at a PMU with high BP at my age?
Will Raleigh finish me off these days or is it still a breeze?
Also my time out of the RN i have been a naughty boy with a driving ban (2014) and a few minor debts that are sorted now but defaulted years ago, would this be an issue with SC?

Sorry for the long thread...

Drakey

War Hero
Medical issues cannot be answered on this forum as there is nobody qualified to give you the correct answer. Persevere with Capita/GP and wait for the outcome. Raleigh is as easy or difficult as you make it. It's all to do with preparation and attitude. At the age of 33 you may find that you are not the oldest as there are quite often some trainees up to the age to 39 years old. Good luck

SheffGruff

Badgeman
Capita are a pain in the arse and almost everyone has problems with them.

High BP depends on severity and how long it lasts etc, but JSP 950 is your starting point to see if your condition will get you deemed PMU. If they grade you PMU but you think they've been overcautious then appeal to the single service doctor. (I've done this over a historical kidney illness and it added months and months to the process, but I did succeed.)

Old convictions (esp at SC level) are not likely to be a security problem unless you don't declare them to the vetting agency. Your convictions however must be spent before you can join the mob, unless you get a conviction waiver beforehand.

As long as your fitness is reasonable then Raleigh is fine, I did it at 35/36 and wasn't exactly superman before joining. You'll probably get spammed with being the class leader though.

Keep the inspecting officer moving on during divisions because everyone's feet/arms will be aching :D

Oldest_Nozzer

Midshipman
Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Finally heard off CAPITA today, and i have satisfactory blood pressure results for them to continue my application to rejoin..

Fitness test next...wish me luck on the treadmill..
Thanks again :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
A Hi looking for pre joining medical advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Q Thinking of joining the RNR... some serious advice please! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
J Advice on joining the RN/RNR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A Last year in school need advice about joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Considering joining the navy but need advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Joining as a rating after AIB fail. Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
P Advice for a mum joining as an MA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
T Need advice re: RMR joining in 1-2 years. RMR 1
S Joining, advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J Advice on joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
T Thinking of joining up. just after some advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Joining January looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
R Advice on joining with mild turrets syndrome Health & Fitness 32
S Info - Advice - Joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S info - advice - joining Health & Fitness 1
D Preston, RMR Manchester and joining advice [Noob] RMR 3
Lost_Soul Joining Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 13
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
S Joining tip’s and info Joining the Royal Navy 74
TechnicPR Joining with Aspergers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
A Am I banned from joining the navy? Joining the Royal Navy 39
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
E Joining up! Various. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
JBNVY18 Re Joining after PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
T Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Joining age, when is actually too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
J Joining process RFA 16
Gnasher Re-joining after 4 years Joining the Royal Navy 3
Dabs Is it worthwhile ..., joining that is? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
Rum_pot Joining 148 Battery UPO 11
E CT joining times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Am I banned from joining the Navy forever? Please help me :) Joining the Royal Navy 18
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Just done PRNC and have joining date, but have doubts too Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Joining as AC but not sure AFCO have been honest about the role Joining the Royal Navy 50
K Joining at 37?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1