Re-joining the forces?

Discussion in 'RMR' started by skidmark11, Dec 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening gents.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I joined the army (regs - Royal Engineers) back in November 2008 and progressed through the 1 year+ long training (basic, combat engineering, trade course). I was in for about a year when, around 2 months through my trade course, I decided to leave. I basically became disollusioned with where my life was going at the time. I was sick to death of training and, now, looking back I know it was a terrible decision. My career on a whole wasn't bad, got some good mates (who I still keep in touch with) and had some great times. Despite this, at the time I didn't think all of this was a good reason to stay. I wasn't happy for the last couple of months of my time in the army and as a result I left. I thought it was the right thing to do at the time.

I went down the medical route, but they weren't convinced of any kind of depression and simply put it down to the fact that I didn't want to be there, and they weren't going to keep me there if I didn't want to do it. They put my discharge down as - tempramentally unsuitable for army service.

It's been a year since I left. I went back home and went to college, working a sh*tty shop job since then.

Would there be any way the RMR would recruit me after leaving the army?

Cheers in advance for any replies.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to RR.

You may apply, but you will need to satisfy the service medical authorities that your medical/psychological condition which caused discharge does not preclude further military service.

Whilst not a medical professional, nor qualified to give medical advice, the rough rule of thumb is that if the Army does not recommend an individual for further service on temperamental grounds, then you can bet your bottom dollar the same will apply on a tri-service level.

3. Or did he mean Temporarily Unsuitable as not permanantly?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) is a term applied to those yet to join the service who need to meet certain medical criteria prior to being passed fit.

Serving personnel maybe medically downgraded, with caveats attached regarding employ-ability within the relative service, but those medically discharged are usually either permanently downgraded unfit for further service or unlikely to regain operational medical fitness (MedCat P2) in a viable timescale.

Those in the latter category will be made aware at the time of discharge if they may later apply to rejoin that service. Those who just want "out", without completing a return of service, may sometimes fraudulently achieve their aim by feigning their actual medical condition - generally it's mutually beneficial if we let them go & save more money by 'TTTFO' (in medical parlance) if they come back.

5. tommo - Nah it was 'temperamental' not temporary. Not 100% on what that means, but after looking for a definition (of temprement) a think it just refers to my mood/attitude at the time.

Ninja_Stoker - Thanks mate. My psychological condition is sound, as it was back then to be honest. I was just unhappy with my job at the time, was more because of where I was/ what I was doing at the time, than the job on a whole. It pretty much put a downer on everything. A stupid decision to make I know, but I was convinced it was the right thing to do at the time, now am not sure on that.

6. Ninja_Stoker

The upshot is that it maybe worth a shot, but if the Army computer says: "No", then so will the RMR's in the majority of cases, particularly if the conduct record sheet (Army form B200) reveals any lunacy.

Best of luck.

7. Shame you didn't join the Mob mate, Navy don't go in for all that bullshit discipline stuff, well they didn't in boats!
    When I was a lowly able seaman we did an exchange where half a dozen army types came up and spent a week on the boat and 6 of us went to Catterick to play with tanks. The bit that will always stick in my mind is when 4 of us wandered into one of the barrack rooms and all the young army lads sprang to attention at the ends of their beds. Freaked me out!

8. What did you do to them??

9. Think they were in training. Good bunch of lads once they'd calmed down!

10. I was a National Serviceman in the Army 1958-61, and hated every minute of it. I had just quialified as a locksmith in London (Pinner, and Wealdstone), and had to report to Aldershot in the RASC It was a joke. I had to learn to be a Shorthand Typist, I detested it, and wasnt allowed to follow a trade or anything else. I rebelled, and spent a lot of time on 252s 7 Days 14 Days and 28 days in the gaurdroom, and eventually Courts Martialed. Thats why my 2 year stint, started in 1958 until 1961. On demob, I decided I like to be a Royal Marine Commando, I applied to RMR Bristol, and was told in no uncertain way by the CO, that I was to be put on probation for 6 months, before they decide if I was "Good enough" Believe me, What a difference. they gave me a chance of becoming "Somebody" I passed everything and worked hard and eventually got my "Green Beret" going on to SBS, I had a wonderful time, Fantastic "mates"and it was well worth the effort, The best thing in my life was being a Royal Marine Commando SBS< Join them and see the difference between Army and Marines and you see the difference, Make NO mistakle, its hard work, and tough going, But whatever you "Go in as" You will come out eventually, A proud man ...

11. Ninja_Stoker

I would have to agree that whilst Booties (& Matelots) are only happy when they are dripping, the perceived difference between the way a Royal Marine is treated in relation to his other service counterpart remains markedly better according to those with former Army service who transfer to the Corps.

In the case at the start of this thread: whilst we all mature and maybe develop a different outlook on life, once a person deliberately steps into the realms of claiming psychiatric illness in order to quit, they may severely limit future military employment prospects.

12. We have it drilled in to us that you always point your arse away from a submariner, and get off the bed :)

13. Ninja_Stoker

Good drills.

14. Couldn't agree more. The problem with being labelled with a diagnosis (as many new applicants with over-anxious mothers have found out) is that it is very hard to disprove a diagnosis. If you have been labelled as having a psychiatric illness, and it is on your discharge documentation, then it will be very hard to get over that and prove that you are now "normal".

15. So, if I'm a shin-splint suffering depressive, with psoriasis and migraines I may not get in? ;-)

16. You forgot your Asthma:-D

17. Sorry, I was wheezing too much to finish the sentence. It is very cold outside so I think your internet diagnosis must be correct!

18. No problem. Just do not forget to mention to the AFCO that you asked on RR and everyone and his dog said you should not have any problems getting in:slow:

19. Ninja_Stoker

Wise words. You needn't mention the involuntary nosebleeds when quoting RR at the AFCO, we know about 'em.

20. I did exactly the same with the REME back in '03, literally a year into it. I didn't pursue any medical issue though, I was allowed to leave on good terms as technically still in training? I joined the RMR (twice LOL) without any real issues. (shame I didn't complete that either... contemplating another go!).