Re-joining the FAA

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jimbob574, Dec 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of re-joining from a position similar to my own.

I left after 12 1/2 years in 2009 as a full sup LH.

I had been a LH for 4 years and was aged 33 when I left.

In the 4 years since leaving I have worked as a contractor for 2 different foreign navies on their helos, built the RNs latest helos in the factory and also did a short stint this year as a contractor working for the FAA at yeovilton.

I am now 37 and would like to rejoin in approx 2 years when i'm about 40. I have settled down and got my pre-midlife crisis out the way and would like to see out the last 10 years of my 22 until i'm 50.

I believe my experience gained in the last 4 years "outside" would be invaluable to the RN and they are getting a FS LH with 16 or so years experience with none of the training required as its already been completed!

I would greatly appreciate peoples views, experiences and ideas with my scenario. Any questions please feel free to fire away!

Thank you very much!

2. Grass isn't always greener :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh no, it certainly has been greener. I've been on great wages and was able to buy my house in cash, something I wouldn't have been able to do if I had stayed in. But I've decided to settle down with a girl I've met and would like a more stable job!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A little tip...

Once you've been outside 5 or more years there is the matter of "skill fade" (yes, I did read your "currency" with regard Naval aviation) where the individual kind of "falls between the cracks" if over the age of 37. Too old to join as a trainee, too out of date to be considered a fully trained rank.

Second tip tip:

Don't assume the mob will fall over itself re-employing you after a record number of redundancies in the branch - despite future carrier projects.

End jobby:

Write a verifiable CV of relevant and current aviation experience and apply now. In two years, I reckon you'll have missed the boat/'plane.

Good luck.

5. Thank you very much for that reply.

I will go into my local afco again when i'm back around Christmas.

However when we spoke on the phone and also in person they didn't seem to have much of an idea about people wanting to rejoin. They pretty much told me flatly that once someone has reached 37 they cannot rejoin! I even had to refer them to the RN website.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, odds are the person answering the phone is a loan rating working in their home town AFCO for a short stint of harmony time, so won't be fully 'clued-up' with concept of trained ranks being able to rejoin to complete their contract.

The skill-fade aspect is automatically assumed and it's important to emphasise your "currency" with regard your civilian work experience from the outset. Once you get over the age for untrained entry, the service gets very "twitchy", particularly at this magical 5 year break in service point where, as we all know (yeah, right), your brain gets wiped and you become a bone civilian. :lol:

7. Jim, I wouldn't do it if I were you. Settling down usually involves leaving the service, not joining it.
    Assuming you can get in some form of direct entry (see Ninj's post), and retain your CofC and seniority etc, you will be a 3-badge (no break in VG?) killick, who may need to go on POAET course, SRCC at age 40. I doubt it would be much fun. Lets assume you get lucky and get your second hook quickly, then are you going to sit the Chiefs board at earliest opportunity? Throw in some crash drafts, SMR training and deployments to new and dusty places (Azerbaijan anyone??), if this sounds appealing maybe you are not settled. Are kids a factor?? You may not know yet, but Id suggest they often are, even if not at first.

You dont mention your trade or if you got civilian CAA or FAA licences but with your factory experience have you thought of US/Canada based contractors or subs? Mil or Civ Aero. There's always Airbus or BAE at home, think of the wider spectrum too, Cobham, NG, Aermacchi, SAAB, Embraer, Bombardier.

8. Or Britain's only family owned Aviation Company based in Cambridge! :)

9. Had his son work, with me for a week at Rolls Royce, and Bentley Motors . Works experience (Marshalls of Cambridge fame). Lord Snooty, lovely lad.....he told the foreman he had to leave, early!!!!!! As he was going to the Henley Regatta. lol

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Nina, is it a given that if he re joins it will be as a LH?

11. The reason its settling down to me is because I live fairly local to yeovilton, assuming I get back there and not Culdrose. But even Culdrose wouldn't be too bad as only 2 hours away.

I love the contracting side of things with all the travelling and meeting new people. But it is definitely hard work when not a singly. As I've done both I can see the good and bad points of both. I even spent some time as civvie contractor on one of my old squadrons and was shocked at the standard of work being produced!

I believe I learnt more in the first year of being a contractor than I did in 12 years of being in the service! I never thought it would be that much of a learning curve that I experienced. Although I can say it has definitely increased my skills and knowledge. And hopefully I can put them to use back in the RN.

I am back in the UK for 2 weeks over xmas so will have another chat to the AFCO then I think.

12. He was in my office last week! Trying to soften the redundancy pressure! Survived 3 rounds in 5 years, at this rate I'll be turning the lights out. :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013