Re-Joiners decisions decisions!

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by jimmyglobal, Sep 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone else have an insatiable urge to rejoin the Corps?
    I left 4 years ago after 10 wretch filled years, the first 6 were hoofing (especially Mortars) . I like being a gopping fat civvie but i do miss the crack with the boys!
    Ended up in Carpentry and now i'm right back with Royal out in Afghanistan doing construction...Go figure!
  2. Become a Rubber Dagger and get the best of both worlds.
  3. My Oppo tried that said it was pants, each to ther own i knew a hoofing bloke called John Jacyk who was RMR but i like my weekends too much! The misses already has to compete with rugby!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not a Royal, just a Recruiter, but it's quite surprising how many ex-RM subsequently rejoin, despite the comparative drop from civilian wages to military.

A lot seem to go for the security companies where the big-bucks are offered but after one or two tours decide they would prefer to have the opportunity draw a pension for themselves rather than a fractional one for their surviving dependents.

Unfortunately there's currently no re-joining bounty on offer for trained bootnecks, however that doesn't seem to deter.

My advice is speak to the Royal Marines out there with you - if they're leaving find out why. Odds are there will be a couple of "re-joins" who should be able to give the benefit of hindsight.

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose.
  5. I've spent the last 2 years in Kandahar and Lashka Gar so it's been like a big reunion most of my old oppo's tell me not to bother.
    I think its more nostalgia than anything else. A bit like remembering a hoofing bag off, you forget you were crappers and she was rats but what a night!!
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Have to agree there is a tendency to view life through rose-tinted beer-goggles sometimes.

Since transferring to the careers service, I often regret leaving the frontline job - especially on a day like today when a Lynx from 815 Endurance Flight landed at a local school and made me remember the good bits & the banter. (By the way- if anyone knows the crew - Blummin' brilliant- many thanks!!!)

Having said that, like all jobs there are downsides. Presumably you're away from home & family for long periods, work in a risky environment & are not sure about your future employment or income upon retirement.

Swings & roundabouts really- when have you ever heard a matelot or bootneck that's serving tell you the job is bloody marvelous and they only wish they could serve longer? [​IMG]
  7. Too right Ninja, we all miss some of the life, but not sure I would really go back to full time service at sea. Think I'm getting a little long in the tooth to live with some of the 20 somethings in the mess again. We at least get some of the banter/comradeship within the Careers Service, but still get to go home most evenings/weekends. Not sure going back to anything ends up being what we really remember. We always seem to remember life in the mob through rose tinted specs.

Only you know what is right for you.

Neil - Supermario

8. Ninja_Stoker

Spot on, Big Nose. :thumright:
  9. Who you calling Big Nose? Flappy ears

10. Ninja_Stoker

Some big guy made me write it, then ran away.
  11. That's bullying it!! :thumright:
  12. Mate it sounds as though you're getting the banter/crack etc without the Corps BS. Don't you remember Rounds, Inspections, Parades, Sergeant Majors, Officers (with and without maps!!) and most worrying of all considering your remarks re fitness the BFT! :thumright:
    Also your intake of beer tokens (Money) would be drastically reduced all for the dubious honour of sharing a grot with farting, belching and spewing bootnecks.
    I must admit for a year or twa after getting out I did consider rejoining, the consumption of a beer or three always cured me of this though as rose tinted goggles dropped to be replaced rapidly by ordinary munter proof Beer goggles. :dwarf:
  13. My cure for the 'itch' is remembering trying to stay awake in a shellscrape on sentry on Sennybridge in the rain in November!
    I must admit i would probably crumble like a soggy Kit Kat if i had to keep up on a troop run ashore!
    As for phys i still do plenty i did get Civvie chubby at one point but found a hill and thrashed myself for letting the standards slip!

Plus i love calling officers 'Mate' when explaining to them the finer points of construction! You have to rub you chin in a serious manner whilst tapping what ever you are supposed to be building with your boot whilst sucking in your breath through your teeth loudly before uttering the immortal words..."its going to take at least a month mate".
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep that rings a bell. When transferring to Careers Adviser you have to be out of the mob for 30 days before you rejoin. (Dunno why, some legal mumbo-jumbo).

For 30 days, I was a Civvy paid & attired trainee Careers Adviser and, like you, took great delight whilst at Bovington, finding as many Officers as possible and made sure they were called mate, buddy, shipwreck, anything really. The higher the rank the strangely more satisfying. Army full Colonels were as high as I got, sadly.

Childish? Not 'arf.
  15. Yep you cannot beat the mentality of a six year old, i find the best reaction comes from sprog pigs from the RAF!