Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by seafruit, Sep 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. so i might not be in the navy for much longer beacuse im failing my course. but what i would like is some info on re-entry minus the afco bullshit. so does anyone know much bout it? and what branch would u recommend that isnt so shitty.
  2. Why are you failing your course?
    What course would that be?

You've got to enlighten us some more before you can get a proper answer.
    Stand by for some shit flinging, though!
  3. Are you getting any help from your classmates or instructors?
    You should be!
  4. Looking at your past posts I see that you are in training to be an AET.
    This is one of the branches in the RN which requires high scores on the entry tests. It certainly is not a shitty branch. Go and see your DO and Instructors and see if you can get some extra instruction to enable you to pass your course.
  5. From your username I was worried you were SEA for a moment!
  6. I'd echo slim's suggestion.

Also to the point - if you leave because you fail something then that is what will likely be seen at a later stage. Regardless of whether you failed a higher standard course or not, that will be in your file. Having passed the tests to get you onto that course and into that branch's pipeline you will have been equally expected to pass as someone with lesser scores on a lesser course. (Not wishing to say that any course is less worthy than another).

I say this having left the RN during training (and am now in the RNR and hope to return to the RN quite soon). I can't go into great detail as I use my actual name as a username, but I will just say that you really need to have someone (preferably with a greater than average amount of gold on their sleeve) that recognises potential in you, whether that potential is as an officer or as a mechanic/stoker/whatever is irrelevent, everyone needs to do their part of the bigger job well.
  7. That's OK mate, as you've not told us your last name.
    I did hear, though, that your mum had a bit of trouble shouting you in for your tea.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'll refrain from illuminating you further in that case, but suffice to say don't burn your bridges & don't anticipate re-joining straight away if you are discharged unsuitable during training. (DUDT). Sometimes you may be prevented from attempting to rejoin for up to 3 years if a caveat is attached. If you PVR a similar caveat may also be enforced.
  9. It would be interesting to know the percentage of those that QUIT ( Notice the capitals) during training, basically those that can`t hack it, whether thats being away from Mummy or not.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Five years ago there were times when PVR's peaked at around a staggering 25%. My understanding is that it's less than 10% who submit Premature Voluntary Release (QUIT) in the first 6 months, but it does vary greatly.
  11. Makes me think how many would have gone in my day, if the opportunity had been available then? As it wasn't most stayed the course and ended up completing at least their nine and in many cases much longer periods. :thumright:
  12. Two guys quit during basic in my class. One guy purely because he could do press ups and clap inbetween each one. Quite possibly THE man of the class. Instructors used to bring 2 ringers to view this, and Tom, a hell of a nice guy, just got fed up and said fuqu!
    The other fellow we drove out. It would be classed as bullying today, but we just got fed up of the collective responsibility.

This was when there was an entry every week, when they could discard people willy nilly, as there were so many wanting to join. I would imagine losing someone today would be a lot more noticeable, as there seems to be so few entries.
  13. Always been a problem (especially living 200 miles away)... she'd have even more trouble shouting me in if Sodexho did the cooking at home.
  14. :thumright:
    Keep it up, then you'll just be like a real matelot!
  15. There's an entry every week now Streaky.
  16. Seem to remember from an earlier thread that as AET was such a difficult course trainees COULD be offered the chance to transfer to ET if it was felt that they would probably struggle to complete AET training.
    I say COULD, if you are failing because you ASSUME it is a shitty branch ( as has been stated before training is not the real navy) then the mob is probably best off without you.
  17. Forgive me, but for some reason I was under the impression there were fewer entries at the moment. God knows where I got that idea from.
  18. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

What difference has the RNAC made to PVRing? I get the impression that letting people spend 48hrs in a navy environment prior to going inside seems eminently sensible - but i'd be interested to know whether its had a positive effect.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

There are very few that attend RNAC & decide not to join as a result of it, nor a significant change noted amongst PVRs submitted by RNAC attendees versus non-attendees. The vast majority of RNAC attendees seem more enthused about joining as indeed it gives a very good insight as to what to expect during the early stages of Phase One training. Now that the "New Entry" week at Raleigh has been removed, the same basics are now taught, without pay, during an RNAC and, perhaps understandably, those individuals are sometimes viewed as "better prepared" (but not necessarily physically).

There have been a few individuals that have been found to be unsuitable for Naval Service, having attended RNAC & a stunning amount continue to fail the PJFT whilst there, however it doesn't count as a fail (!), but a pass does count if it hadn't been achieved previously.