Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Re-entry for engineering

hi,

I have seen on the RN website that they are actively recruiting engineers with previous service. I rang the number but they had no information about it.

Does anyone have information about this? I previously did 6 years as an LET(WE) and have been out 4 years. Have been thinking about going back in, just need some more information.

Regards

What's the query?

Just apply online, declaring your former service.

Your local AFCO will get in touch for you to nip in with your discharge documentation and to sign a consent form for the release of your med docs. Takes about four weeks.

The AFCO will then request Approval to Process your application. This takes another six or eight weeks and the letter will detail the terms under which you may rejoin, the training required, contract and payscale upon which you re-enter, etc. Assuming you left of your own accord, medically fit without disciplinary issues there should not be any significant issues rejoining if you continue to meet the entry eligibility standards.

You'll join on the latest AFPS and your previous pension will remain separate but preserved. You usually dip a pay increment or two, depending on the break in service. (those outside five or more years may well find themselves undergoing an abridged version of phase two training). Contract-wise, you'll have your former service deducted from the length of the new contract.

AFCO wise you'll undergo a selection interview, medical, PJFT and SC before an entry date can be requested (usually a month or two later). There are no significant shortages of ET(WE)'s at present, and as such I'm not aware of any financial incenties for those aspiring to rejoin. One thing I would caution is all the reasons and faults with the job making you chose to leave last time, probably remain unchanged.

When you get an entry date, you'll join Raleigh on the first Wednesday of the month, wearing a suit, shirt & tie. You will take the RNFT, RNST, re-issued your kit, respirator checks, harry weekenders, refresher training, top of sea roster, assignment order to a ship, PJTs, ISSC, back to sea.

Questions?

Thanks ninja! A lot of information there.

I was a leading rate when I left so hopefully would keep rank.

I am a bit confused as to why they are recruiting specially for engineers to rejoin. Can't find more details anywhere apart from what's on the website (which is limited at best).

Doesn't sound too complicated to get back in. I expected issc, pjt etc. Hopefully no bridging courses for my let(we) course I did.

Regards

We are recruiting in all branches for new entries and a year or two back had a dire shortage of trained ET(ME)'s, ET(MESM)'s, ET(WESM)'s and a shortfall, to a lesser degree of AETs because they made too many redundant and a minor shortfall for ET(WE)'s - which has been plugged by the influx of the (soon-to-be binned), ET(WE) CIS branch.

If you want to rejoin this time as a Chef, pack your bags, see you next week ;)

Really @Ninja_Stoker ? Nothing heard where I sit......
Jungle drums, Galley Range, NAAFI Cosmic - UK Eyes only.

The rumour in Collingrad is that ET(WE) CIS will cease to be a direct entry branch with the same entry parameters currently afforded under the old/original CIS branch. Happy to stand corrected if the ET(WE) CIS branch is not going to split back onto it's component parts.

Thinking about it, the WE branch manager is a long standing oppo/acquaintance of mine, going back to Oxford URNU circa the millennium- time to make a phonecall, I guess;)

@Ninja_Stoker So, I spoke to WB today. They recognise the issues with recruiting for CIS/ETWE and later this month will look at various options, realistically looking at common ET recruitment then streaming for CIS after phase 1 (or possibly Phase 2). Unlikely that there will be a CIS branch per se, more a formal career stream for ETWE in the same manner as sensors and weapons. Makes sense to me.

@Ninja_Stoker So, I spoke to WB today. They recognise the issues with recruiting for CIS/ETWE and later this month will look at various options, realistically looking at common ET recruitment then streaming for CIS after phase 1 (or possibly Phase 2). Unlikely that there will be a CIS branch per se, more a formal career stream for ETWE in the same manner as sensors and weapons. Makes sense to me.
Top job, many thanks for that!

Latest Threads