Re-Entry Dilema

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by aerialspeedboatcore, Nov 12, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all I recently re applied to join the Navy for the second time (after being discharged the first) and had to resit my Psychometric test. First time I scored 79 and 2nd 49 (pass mark if im correct is 50, is there no 1 mark leniency?!) The first test was sat over three years ago so due to Navy legislation I cant reuse it.

I was awaiting to retake for a 3rd time once my medical documents arrived at my AFCO's however im told that the test can only be taken a 3rd time should it be of an exceptional circumstance or if I were to increase my English GCSE by a grade, from a C - B. I am willing to do so however my location, costs and a lengthy wait for an exam I have already passed are somewhat ... meh. This also combined with the fact I went on to further education after my GCSE's and hold 240 UCAS points through a Btec Lv3 and spent 2 years at university completing 9 modules of a forensic computing degree, in my opinion rendering the GCSE's useless.

This having been said I still am sure a career in the military is for me and am will to do whatever it takes to obtain a place in the Royal Navy. I have also considered the RAF. Is this classified as a separate organisation that I would be eligible to apply for? And would my previous correspondence with the Navy possible hinder my chances of entry? (Navy preferred)

Also this may sound bad but I also served with the Parachute regiment for a little under a year, after completing the CiC due to an injury sustained I was MD'ed from there hence the reapplication to enter service. This was the most saddening time of my life, as I cant express how much I enjoyed the paras and was gutted by the boards decision.

Looking at this from a certain prospective... Would the Royal Navy or possibly the RAF turn a blind eye to someone who in my eyes f*^$ed up 2 sterling opportunities to serve in HM forces.

Sent from my house under a mountain in wales.....
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

This is a bite, innit?
    • Previously joined Paras, medically discharged
    • Previously joined RN - discharged, reason not stated
    • Failed to complete a degree
    • Re-applied for RN - failed Recruiting Test
    Dropping four or five of points is not uncommon, dropping 30 points usually indicates a severe blow to the head (During training perhaps?) or lack of revision & poor preparation. If you can't pass an exam equivalent to the 11+....perhaps GCSEs are not such a bad idea after-all.

The rough rule of thumb is after a medical discharge, if the original service will accept you back, then you are usually OK for other services.

The RAF will gagging for your call. I'm sure. They're on 0333 202 7770. Call now!
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Sorry Mr stoker I don't know what you mean by bite?!

Yes I know it looks bad a list of.. well.. non achievement.

I do have an excuse for the 2nd psychometric however it is an excuse and im sure your not interested in Mr stoker.
    I am willing to redo my GCSE's however my location makes it awkward to study moving house is the only option and I am in no position to do so. I do understand I failed the test but have spent long enough feeling bad about it is there no par on 1 point? Or possibly being allowed to resit as I failed it by such a small amount?
  4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why were you kicked out first time around?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

A bite is the service equivalent of "havin' a giraffe"

If you scored just 49 overall, you'll need more than one point discretion for entry into the regular service & if you scored less than 10 in maths or English, it's hasta la vista I'm afraid. At risk of heaping-on the 'feel-good factor', it's not even a case of being one point short, it's more about managing to incorrectly answer 71 out of the available 120 questions, unfortunately - even if it's a bloody brilliant excuse and the Pope is writing it for you.

As a matter of interest, as asked by ex-J, why did you leave the RN first time around?
  6. I do remember hastily going through English and spent more time on maths (will have to check that score as that was something I DID, massively revise for) and underestimated the English equivalent.

Wasn't kicked out was MD'ed again and it was RM training.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

If the second MD was related to the first, then I'd guess the service would be pretty sceptical a third time around, even if joining a less physically demanding branch of the service.

It looks like your AFCO tested you during the interim, whilst awaiting formal approval to further process the application. It could well be, even if the test was passed, that approval could still be knocked back on medical grounds at a later date.

In all seriousness an RN recruit test fail would not affect eligibility for the RAF, but a repeat history of MDs, even if unrelated, could make any of the three services risk averse.
  8. No both of them were separate body parts, one in legs and one in upper. Im am training on a frequent basis as this neck of the woods is pretty quiet and all body parts have been rebuilt to a good standard. Its just the psychometric test that poised a problem opposed to fitness.

As far as I was aware both my physical and psychometric abilities are capable of serving in the RN although the English section of the test would prove different.
  9. You may have to clarify what you mean by "body parts rebuilt", do you mean healed or have you undergone surgery.