Re-applying

matt277

Badgeman
Can I ask if the online chat on the royal navy website ever works? Have tried a few times to speak to an advisor but never get through to anyone.

IlikeB33r

Lantern Swinger
Can I ask if the online chat on the royal navy website ever works? Have tried a few times to speak to an advisor but never get through to anyone.

I've heard its not much using the live chat.

I can imagine it's a shorter period for surface fleet given the fact their is two new carriers being surfaced soon? I have my fitness test on Monday and I am joining at ETME surface fleet.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

I can imagine it's a shorter period for surface fleet given the fact their is two new carriers being surfaced soon? I have my fitness test on Monday and I am joining at ETME surface fleet.

Underwater carriers :eek:, thought they'd given that up since the M class ;)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

I hadn't realised that they were Submarine Carriers, hope they are an improvement on the M2.

Assuming your pre-operative precription was within accepted parameters (and you checked all this prior to electing to have surgery), the type of surgery is approved & accepted by the service (ie no implants), there is evidence pre surgery/post surgery & 12 months after surgery to prove the eyesight is stable, twelve months have elapsed & you are over age 22 and still under age 30 upon first day of training....

ET(ME) is about 4-6 months, AET around 10-12 months (I think - off the top of my head).

Good luck

Echoing Ninja's advice there.

There is a process in place for those who have had Laser surgery, but be prepared for a lot of writing of letters, etc. etc.
This was my experience in getting in:
  • Initial application in 2001 as an officer (didn't have A-Levels, so advised to join as a Rating, despite holding enough UCAS points in any case)
  • Accepted to join as a Writer in 2002.
  • Have my 2003 class date, then receive a letter that the eyesight parameters have changed and I was no longer required (literally the week I was going)
  • 2004, had Ultra-LASIK WAVE corrective surgery (it improves the night vision by reducing glare).
  • 2005, applied to the RN to join, refused as I had laser surgery. Father interjects and pointed out that there are/were serving RAF pilots currently flying, who have had corrective surgery. If it was unsafe for me to join as a Writer, then all those pilots needed grounding.
  • 2006, took several eye examinations at the behest of the RN, passing with ease, and then some new exam would crop up that I would have to do - meeting all of them with no problems.
  • 2007, after many more letters, an arrangement was made to be assessed by the City of London University, with a test conducted by Professor John Barbur. The test is essentially a pilot's exam to ensure that your eyes can perform properly. The biggest image I took away was the rather disturbing floating eyeball (If you do it, you'll know exactly what I mean). This was also done at personal cost (as I wanted to join), despite this being at the request of the RN. At the time, it was about £250 so it'll likely be a bit higher now.
  • 2008, I have my join date on 13 July. Ultimately, because of the experience and causing the JSP to be changed, it's very highly likely that I was the first successful applicant to have joined having had the corrective surgery. I don't actually know if anyone else has joined with the same "issue" since.
Ultimately, if the crap does hit the fan over eye examinations, you need to insist on doing the pilots' eye examination to prove that you have no inherent defect that will preclude you from joining.