Re-applying

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matt277, Jan 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I applied for the navy in 2009 but couldn't join due to my eyesight I have since had laser eye surgery to fix this. I currently work as a plumber, so was thinking of joining as a marine engineer surface fleet. When I originally did the recruitment test I scored high and the careers officer advised I applied for air engineer technician which I did however I failed the eyetest. Could any one tell me the current waiting list for these two jobs, marine engineer and air engineer technician? Also do you still sign up on an 18 years contract?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming your pre-operative precription was within accepted parameters (and you checked all this prior to electing to have surgery), the type of surgery is approved & accepted by the service (ie no implants), there is evidence pre surgery/post surgery & 12 months after surgery to prove the eyesight is stable, twelve months have elapsed & you are over age 22 and still under age 30 upon first day of training....

ET(ME) is about 4-6 months, AET around 10-12 months (I think - off the top of my head).

Good luck

3. Thanks yes I checked all the perimeters for laser eye surgery. The age limit confused me a bit it says 29 on the navy website for these jobs. I though was up to 30? I have just gone 27.

4. Can I also ask when does the waiting list start? Is it from after you have passed the recruitment test?

5. Waiting list is from RT as far as I have been told from my AFCO

6. Thanks for the help. Can I ask what the waiting list is for marine engineer in the submarines? Only problem I can see with joining at me age is the drop in wage to join. But I want a different challenge and a structured career.

7. I have dropped salary massively but it's what I want to do with my life. I applied in April and join in March so around 11 months mate

8. Muskovardo what are you joining as?

9. Marine engineer submariner mate

10. Seems strange that marine engineer on surface fleet is a shorter wait then marine engineer on subs. It was the other way around by a fair bit last time I applied.

11. Yeah was the last time I joined. I think lots of people have left recently though

12. Thanks how old are you on this time of joining?

13. 25 the day before I go haha

14. Can I ask if the online chat on the royal navy website ever works? Have tried a few times to speak to an advisor but never get through to anyone.

15. Iv never spoken to anyone on there to be honest with ya mate!

16. I've heard its not much using the live chat.

I can imagine it's a shorter period for surface fleet given the fact their is two new carriers being surfaced soon? I have my fitness test on Monday and I am joining at ETME surface fleet.

17. Underwater carriers :eek:, thought they'd given that up since the M class ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I hadn't realised that they were Submarine Carriers, hope they are an improvement on the M2.

• Like Like x 1
  19. <Sounds of fingers frantically typing "M class" and "M2" into Google">

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I hit the wrong button at 2230 last night and it didn't post until I hit the post reply button this morning