re-aircraft handlers

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by higthepig, Mar 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been reading all those anti chockhead remarks and i find it most unsettling and sad,as an ex CPO(A)(AHI)(ATC) ifeel i must go and lie down and hope that i may feel better in the morning but before doing so ,was it not DRAKE that said the gentlemen will work with the mariner and the mariner will work with the gentlemen we are all of one company?And as for pay well it used to be the same for all those on the lower deck apart for tiffs who got trade pay.Lloyds register said, and i quote, the flight deck of an Aircarft Carrier is the most dangerous real estate on earth.But that would have been with real carriers the ones with catapults and arrester wires and yes we had stokers there too, called badgers,as for ringbolts the poor wee souls, half of you wouldnt know the importance of one if it jumped up and bit you on the arseidoubt if any of you serving today were ever on a real carrier not the liberty boats they have today,I really must go and lie down,forgive them lord for they know not what they say,and fisheads remember,Jesus loves you,everyone else thinks your an ********.It really is time for my nap.
  2. yep
    nearly all the cpo ah were idiots unfortunately there are some still in the fleet. you can slag off the stokers but at the end of the day we all need one another and everyone is there to do a job.

the flight deck nowadays is still a very dangerous place, what with jets carrying more and more diferent weapons, refuelling, operational turn rounds and helicopters taking off all the time.
    And yes i am very aware of what ringbolts are for it gives the chockheads something to hoover out when we are shore side!
  3. No one slagged off the stokers, is it you dont know what a badger is in naval terms and ringbolts are not just for stokers to secure their safety lines to when scrubbing the funnel.
  4. Badger - (white sircoat with black centre line) flight deck fuelling we shake them at 3 in the morning to get the avcat pumps switched on then get a load of abuse from the cpo stokers in the scc can't you wait until the morning? well yes chief if the war against terror can wait until the morning!!! jets have to be fuelled and ready to go not when its convienent for you!
    because we are working 8 about the rest of the ship works days! everyone thinks wafu's have it easy but on the ship we are the ones digging out. when the ship is having its sports days etc its us lot still doing engine changes etc
  5. If you want to talk about REAL carriers, you should be thinking about the likes of the Indefatigable & Indominable. Spent sometime as a boy seaman on the Indefat. You can have your big ships - very inpersonal. Make good targets though. Gimme the boats anytime
  6. Well I did a 2 year commish on the Albion as a badger all through the Borneo confrontation and you won`t find me slagging off the wafus as we all worked bloody hard together.
    Dangerous to as we had a squadron of whirlwinds as well as the wessex, so we had to store and supply avgas.
  7. Just out of curiosity Fly Navy, are you Navy or a Crab?
  8. What I want to know is why when we were ashore the squadron handlers never took charge of aircraft moves. While embarked all moves were done by the chockheads, ashore they seemed to do more important jobs like run the coffee boat & practice for the uckers championship.
  9. Well,its like this.whilst on board there is limited space to move aircraft around,hanger and flight deck.Therefore highly trained experts were created to carry out the delicate task of manoeuvring these expensive flying machines in a space hostile enviroment.These experts being the Aircraft Handler. 8)

Ashore with all the large hangers and wide open spaces the grubbers coped very well without our superior skills needing to be used,hence the uckers and coffee to relax before the next session of shipboard precision moving. :roll: :lol: