Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

RBS 6 Nations Rugby Championship

soleil

War Hero
Quite a few Rum Rationers like rugby, so I thought I would list the fixtures for the 6 Nations Championship, so that you can make a note of the 'must see' matches (that's a personal choice, of course).

Note that the opening match is Wales v England on the evening of Friday 4th February 2011.

Fri 4th Feb 11 19:45 Wales v England

Sat 5th Feb 11 14:30 Italy v Ireland
Sat 5th Feb 11 17:00 France v Scotland

Sat 12th Feb 11 14:30 England v Italy
Sat 12th Feb 11 17:00 Scotland v Wales

Sun 13th Feb 11 15:00 Ireland v France

Sat 26th Feb 11 14:30 Italy v Wales
Sat 26th Feb 11 17:00 England v France

Sun 27th Feb 11 15:00 Scotland v Ireland

Sat 12th Mar 11 14:30 Italy v France
Sat 12th Mar 11 17:00 Wales v Ireland

Sun 13th Mar 11 15:00 England v Scotland

Sat 19th Mar 11 14:30 Scotland v Italy
Sat 19th Mar 11 17:00 Ireland v England
Sat 19th Mar 11 19:45 France v Wales

Which of the teams is the in form one at the moment and perhaps a good tip for winning the Championship?

My heart will always say England, but this year my head agrees!Ireland are on the wane, France are terrible under Marc Lievremont, the sweaties may pull off a surprise or two though. I can't see a grand slam by any of the teams, but England should triumph overall.

My heart will always say England, but this year my head agrees!Ireland are on the wane, France are terrible under Marc Lievremont, the sweaties may pull off a surprise or two though. I can't see a grand slam by any of the teams, but England should triumph overall.

Got to agree with you there. The French are too inconsistent, never know which French side is going to turn up and Livremont is liable to change the team every game. I can't see them doing England at Twickers, 3 home games on the bounce is a big advantage for England.

England have a shout at the grand slam, Ireland failed to turn up against Italy, and are wavering, the French turned it on against Scotland, but it won't last, I think the Scots will beat Wales tomorrow - they have lost their way a little bit under Gatland now, don't really think they have a chance.

Once Tom Croft is fit again, Johnno is going to have some selection headaches - Wood performed against Wales, he was everywhere, would still pick Croft though, that bloke has got some pace for a back rower. Got plenty of big ball carriers and pace in the back row.

Out of touch with the rugby these days. Apart from the Army v Navy game each year I aint really paid much attention. Used to follow the rugby avidly so maybe this is a good time to get back to watching. England game tomorrow will hopefully be more entertaining than last weekend

Has to be said, compared to the rather dull performance against Wales, England are doing very well. Italians are getting rather upset and Wonky Wilkinson has just made an appearance

watched that last 30 mins of the taffs v jocks........boy were they bad...jocks that is

Jocks were appalling yesterday. Based on their performance in Paris last week and having the home advantage I thought they'd beat the Welsh yesterday, but they just couldn't finish. And not being able to score a point when the Welsh were down to 13 men - just not good enough!

England vs France will be the deciding game in this years championship IMO. Just need to make sure we take all the chances we get against the froggies.

Agreed JW.

I'm 'mixed race' - Scots, Irish, English, and Finnish, but I've lived in Scotland for almost 50 years so .......
It was awful to watch, but John Beattie has a few interesting things to say on his BBC Scotland blog if you're interested. Unfortunately BBC Scotland is anti all sports except girlyball - on the website you get 50 pages of girlyball for every one of all other sports, and you'll get more coverage of the Highland league than you do for Glasgow and Edinburgh rugby. The club game is ignored completely, yet clubs like Hawick, Melrose, Ayr and others get bigger crowds than many of Scottish football's 1st Div games (and some of the 'Premiership' !). Take away Rangers and Celtic (please), and the total attendance for ALL Scottish football's clubs is usually less than Man U or Arsenal's average home gate.
Yet BBC Scotland devotes individual web pages to football clubs who think 500 is a big crowd.
The radio's worse - a two hour girlyball programme EVERY night, plus live games and 'specials', with an average of 8 hours solid on Saturday.
All other sport gets 50 minutes at 9am on Saturday (co-hosted by Beattie), and rugby is (unless there's a football match on) allowed 50 minutes on Friday evening.
So the game's dying because the Beeb refuses to cover it.
With only 100 pro players (according to the Pro-Rugby Players Association, England has 2,000), we should never win, but occasionally we sneak one.
England's big problem is believing the London media. They've already won the Grand Slam apparently, and that tends to annoy everyone else. It's still a game where passion and guts plays a big part, and one way of making England lose is to tell them they're bound to win (like Jermy Gussett has a habit of saying).
I think England v France will decide the Championship, and my money's on England.
But if the media do their usual, then someone will beat England - Remember Wales in '99 ? Scotland in 2000/2006/2008 ? last season's draw ? England were told they couldn't lose ........

Last edited:
Concur with Delrick on all your points viz a viz this years tournament.

Being a proud Englishman who is somewhat new to rugby and now no longer live in the UK (ahh, the irony), I have to think of the demoralising effect upon an opposing team to see Toby Flood walking off the pitch (hurrah, they say) only to be replaced by Jonny Wilkinson (oh sh1t)

flymo,

Wilko's still got it, and I think his defence is even better than it was (and it was always good).
I've got a problem with teams winning without scoring a try though, and every team's done it at one time or another.
The 'best team' doesn't always win, and I think differential penalties would help. Teams today often try to force a scoring penalty, and I personally know at least one top ref who admits he's either been conned, or has made the wrong decision and gifted the game to the weaker, but more 'streetwise' team.
Having played in the front row against Maclauchlan and Carmichael (it still bloody hurts !), I think we need to go back a few years to get the scrums working properly again. Straight put-ins and none of this 'pause .... shake hands....... smile' stuff.
I don't often agree with Brian Moore, but he's spot-on when it comes to the scrums, and he should know (unlike the refs).
I've watched the France/Scotland/penalty try sequence about a dozen times now, and the ref was conned. Not his fault, but I think refs should all attend a week-long course in scrummaging, with BM and a few others showing them what really goes on, and how to spot it. At the moment, refs seem to do a lot of guessing.