Raynauds..

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rolling-stone, May 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have done a search on this disease, but there are not many posts which are really relevant to what i need to know, so..

About 5-6 years ago, i noticed i was starting to suffer from cold hands (noticeably colder then the rest of my body) and sometimes in very cold weather the condition would worsen and my fingers could go all white for a short amount of time. I self diagnosed it as Raynauds disease, and upon visiting the doctor for another reason, brought this up with him and he agreed that it could likely be raynauds, though i dont know if he ever noted down on my history, as no tests were made and no medication or anything prescribed..

I recently noticed that raynauds disease was an instant NO to any of the armed forces with no exception, the thing is my case isn't that bad anymore, and although my hands can be colder then normal, i rarely get the all white finger attacks, and i really dont think it would stop me from doing my job or slowing anyone else down...

So what i need to know is, as this was mentioned when i went to the docs, do you think he would instantly note down on my history that i have raynauds? Would it be possible for me to ring up the docs and check what is written on my medicl history? And if it is on there, is there any chance of me being able to get it taken off, as it has calmed down massively.

I know it would not interfere with my training and job, but if a PT instructor or anyone higher noticed on one instance that i had a bad attack of it (very very rare) could i be discharged?

Any help on this matter whatso ever would be really appreciated, as i know its not that common.. Whats weird is that noone in my family or family history has it, and its mostly heriditary?

Thnks in advance

2. You see, this is why people like me have degrees in medicine. Believe it or not, it takes more than a Google search to learn how to be a doctor. You have seen a couple of symptoms, typed them into a search engine and come up with what you think is an answer - and one which may have a lasting effect on any proposed career in the Forces.

The incidence of Raynaud's phenomenon is about 10% by the way (bit more in females than males) - not that rare really.

A diagnosis of this makes you permanently unsuitable for entry. If it is in your notes then it cannot be removed (without a court order), but if you make an appointment with your GP you can see if it is there. The condition raises the risk of you losing fingers if you are exposed to extremes of climate (which is possible in any deployed circumstance) - hence the bar.

If you had gone to your doctor in the first place then you probably would not be in this mess. A warning for the future.

Angrydoc
    (A proper doctor, not a search engine or www.me-is-a-doctor-honest.com)

3. Raynauds is not hereditary It is like VWF .IT is a relation of the repetitive strain injure caused by doing the same thing all of the time typists get it they call it raynauds.Miner road diggers grinder a lot of engineering workers got it in one way or the other.In the muning industry it was called vibration white fingr self explanatory!.I have it severe stge 4 in one hand and three in the other believe you dont want it !. .I recieved 45000 thousand plus in compensation for it and an industrial pension .I also have carpal tunnell syndrome and had to have an operation oneach wrist to relieve the pressure on the carpel median nerve (i think thats its name )and was compensated for that too.It starts in the tips of your fingers and works up usualy to the top knuckle it goes no further and does not go into your thumb .I wish it on no one i was on holiday last year in malta it was redders bot my fingers were cold it dod not help holding the cold glasses either (ha ha).The carpel tunnel is caused by vibration making the grisle around the nerve calcifying and compressing and turning to bone crushing the nerve .They cut your wrist open and cut all the bone away to relieve the median nerve .But i suppose thats why the forces take a such a view as there is no cure painkillers or other wise for it

4. Angry doc,

Thanks for your info, i was young at the time (14-15), and god damn do i regret bringing it up now, i know if i do have it, then it is a mild form of it, going by lesbryans experiences, i mean in warm weather it is no way noticeable (especially Malta lesbryan, ive been there before and it was boiling) And as i said before, dont feel it would interfere with any jobs (i can deal with it!)

I guess theres not much else i can do other then find out if it is on my record now, which i'll do tomorrow.
    If it is, i know for certain i was not given any tests or anything to fully diagnose it (if thats even possible?) so could i query it at my medical? Or will my dream be over?..

Cheers

5. It is a bad thing At work once we had it we could no longer use the vibrating tools we were put on a list to say we could not use them .those that could could only use for half hour at a time and a register had to be signed course that was done to clear the company of any blame .by tools i mean things like jack hammers air picks air drills etc but they even say things like black and deckers as well can aggrevate the situation.Can i give you an examplei am sat in a nice warm house my forehaed is damp with sweat(honestly)But my fingers are cold thats what it is like i would not wish it on anyone i hope you do not get it any worse and i sincerely hope it does not stop you douing what you want to do :)

6. Timbo, just a thought but why not join the bit of the RN that doesn't go to the Falklands, Afghan in winter, Norway etc, the bit where a note from mum to say you are OK most of the time suffices, the bit that only goes to Malta?

7. Cobblers

8. I think you missed my point, you smart twat.

I meant in no way is my condition comparable to someones such as bryan, who gets it still even in warm conditions, obviously meaning i have a very mild form of it, christ i have been on skiing holidays in freezing temps, i still have all my fingers and all was okay.

Besides my mum wouldnt give me a note she doesnt want me to join :( :roll:

Thanks

9. I went to the see the scab lifters regarding my cold hands after returning from a holiday in Corfu, where it was 36 C in the evening and my hands were like blocks of ice.

The 2 1/2 ringer kept waffling on about that I was just "a variant of normal" (I kid you not) and how he joined the navy 10 days after I was born (yawn).

Wasn't threatened with being thrown out - just shown a lack of interest from the medical staff at HMS Drake.

I've always suffered when the weather turns cold, fingers refuse to work, I also find it difficult to talk too as my jaw just says "pi55 off" when I try to talk ... hey, isn't that Tourettes? :) But having cold feet in bed can be funny .. but not for the other half, whoever she may be at the time, though.

Am just waiting for arthritis or rheumatism to set in now ... nice.

10. I think you have missed the point too.

The medical regulations are their for your safety. We do not send people into situations that might damage them. If you have a pre-existing condition that increases your risks then having your health in a civvie job is preferable than being in pain and unable to do your job

Smart Twat
    Medical Professional

11. P_F - I'm starting to like you!

There's no diagnostic test for Raynaud's Phenomenon - it is mainly on history and from clinical examination. The concerning bit is that it is usually associated with other conditions which would need to be tested for (ie lots of blood tests, most of which will probably be normal).

Best bet is to see what is in your notes and go from there. If it is there then you are obliged to disclose this in your medical form and examination - to do otherwise would be fraudulent and, when discovered (note: not "if"), you would be booted.

12. Does this mean I can be sarcastic to idiots (present thread excluded obviously) without you grassing me up to my colleagues?

P-F

13. I got the letter back from the doctors, but im not sure if its cleared anything up..

'I entered a diagnosis of Raynauds phenomenon on April 2005 affecting the fingers, but there are no subsequent entries and it does not appear on the summary page of your computer records.'

So have i got no chance now of getting in now? Is there anyway i can contest this or do anything, this is going to shatter my dream job!!:(

Edit add:

And psycho fluffy thanks, i do understand the reason the rule is in place completely, the thing is now, i dont feel like i have it (maybe i didnt have it in the first place? i mean i was in the docs for 20 mins, he didnt do any tests or anything i just named a few symptoms..)

14. Go to the AFCO, do the RT and Medical. If they say no then it's no. Don't rely on an informal website to make a career decision...get a grip ffs.

15. I'd like to brace myself for dissapointment if possible, in no way am i being turned away because of what someone says on this forum, but i still take on board what some of the experienced/knowledgable members of this board have told me, one reason i started the thread is because obviously i didnt want to bring this up in the AFCO without knowing for sure that i had it on my records, as that my cause further confusion, so your dig isnt really relevant. Im now at a stage where yes i need to speak to the AFCO, but i just wanted further clarity on what "does not appear on the summary page of your computer records" meant, as it is no easy task getting through to my doctors i tell you!!

If i'm asking for advice, and a few people have chosen to give it to me, whats the problem, why get involved? It's up to me what i make do with the information.

Cheers

16. Getting involved because you're asking questions that can't be answered on here and it's getting a bit frustrating. Go/don't go..I don't care, just stop asking unanswerable questions.

17. My two penneth as a non medical ex naval wafu type person.

I understand the concern over the condition and implications for your possible entry into the modern RN. I admire you not letting the condition effect your operational ability. (How do you know how it will effect you by the way?)

But!!!

Imagine a good friend relying on you to save his/her skin in a operational environment and your condition prevents you from firing/operating the equipment that could save his/her life!!

The medical professionals don't just think about you but your effect on outcomes to events.

As has already been said, let the guys at AFCO make the decision. Go with a view to failure and anything else is a bonus.

Good luck by the way.

18. What you have shown is that the condition is on your medical records. You are therefore obliged to tell the examining doctor about it, and note it on your application form. To do otherwise would make your application fraudulent. The fact you have not received treatment for it may go in your favour, but it is the decision of the examining doctor.

I bet you wish you had not tried to play doctor now.

A lesson for others.