raw nerves

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by norman, May 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since I first happened upon Rum Ration I appear to have touched many raw nerves.

Is Rum Ration free speech (as it proclaims to be) or censored
    Two of my threads have been discontinued by the Administrators. Why?
    Tendentious Provocative Too close to the bone ? Why?
    Upsetting 2SL?

Please advise. A debate along these lines avoiding fuck bollux crap and other childish invective.--much appreciated

2. Could it be that you are posting stupid subjects.
    And what has this to do with current affairs.
    Please let us all know a little about yourself so that we can form an honest opinion of what you actually are.
    At the moment you could be.
    1. A journalist fishing for comments
    2. A genuine ex serving member of HM forces.
    3. A Walt
    4. A dickhead
    5. A shit stirrer
    6. A juvenile
    7. A combination of all the above.

As a start
    I am an ex Wafu PO served 22 years. Served on Eagle and Ark Royal with Buccaneers and then Manchester on Lynx
    Been out almost 22 years
    Worked for BAe in naval weapons for 7 years
    then tobacco industry working world wide for 12 years.

Over to you.

3. Give up mate whilst you're behind; things aren't going to get better for you based on the general reaction to your posts!

4. Norman,

RR is a useful forum for those of us with some knowledge of the RN, we are however restricted in what we say to a degree to protect both ourselves and others, those of us who have been around a while would also not accept attacks or inunendo against Naval officers of the sort you have tried to initiate in previous posts, hence your posts being blocked.

The only reason you provoke people is because you are ill informed and patently not experienced in alot of the things you pontificate about.

You appear to have no experience about anything to do with Naval life other than what you have read in the Papers, if you are more experienced then by all means let us know, your opinions would be slightly more respected if you did.

Mods....can we not just block this irritating little man ?

5. I'd be interested in hearing if Norman is indeed Naval.

Norman, your method of approach has a distinct whiff of Journo here, I'd even hazard a tabloid one.

I recognise the style . Constant derogatory topic starters, confrontational when questioned closely.

Are you a tabloid Defence editor Norman?

At least most of the journos on Arrse join in the discussions, or at least have the good grace to ping themselves if they're after something.

6. That I can write in joined -up writing without every other word being an expletive does not make me a journalist.

7. Why waste words - you're a twat.

Asking sailors and ex-sailors not to swear? Strange RN you were in. Cutn.

8. Are or were you in the Andrew Norman?

9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Yes Norm, you are "faking it" fairly well, however your one sentence posts don't add to your credibility :wink: They whiff of Journo! Lets see some of your opinions on the subjects you raise, I don't mean a point brief of the subjects you wish to talk around with vague "facts" or tabloid headlines supported by anonymous and fictitious informants in that oh so predictable and yet inflammatory journalist way!

10. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I was wondering, I posted last night (on a thread I can't recall) but was irked by Norman so felt compelled to write and had made the comment that I thought he was a walt/journalist or indeed just a tool. Do I take it that the MODs decided to remove the thread, did he nibble?

As for "tendentious", interesting word that I've not seen since staff course. Its use alone suggests someone familiar with word play, after all it literally means trying to influence opinion, written or spoken by somebody who obviously wants to promote a particular cause or who supports a particular viewpoint. To what end I wonder?

And as for upsetting 2SL, I think he has far better things to do, don't you?

11. I can assure everyone here that Norman is most definitely not a journalist. He's a retired Army major who also served in the RN many moons ago. His letter writing/e-mail style to NN is equally brusque.

I, on the other hand, am a journalist, but not one of those journalists who scour RR and other fora for nuggets to fill the Currant Bun et al.

12. Bollocks, he has been asked time and time again about his RN service, he has had ample opportunity to clarify himself but refuses to do so, how are you so certain that he`s a retired Army Major?

Yours

Burlington Bertie

The Strand

13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

My god, if that is the case then he is either suffering early onset of dementia or is just a tool.

Sorry, I know I can be quite opinionated in some of my responses to people but Norman is just plain rude to the point of stupidity and worse yet his posts seem to be constructed in such a way as to just incite the sort of responses that will drag RR down and down.

I may well be on my own in this but I suspect not.

14. AFAIK he served in the RN in the 40s running the photographic unit and later served as an Army officer in Africa.

In the latest issue of Soldier, they use one of his pictures from the atomic bomb tests from the 1950s.

15. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

You suspect correctly, I think the feeling is pretty much shared by all here (except Norm) Normans aim in life appears to be courting controversy without actually committing his own views or justification, for the attention of whom I have no idea, perhaps it is merely for his own satisfaction.

Ex Army Major sounds about right, fits in with both the superiority complex and attempts to belittle the Senior Service, probably ex Guards :lol:

16. Probably coughs on game shows....

17. Ouch, that had to hurt.

:lol:

18. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Ex Army Major? So he was a captain and got made up to major when he retired on a Captains pension because it looks better in the phone book?...I reckon he's a cnut, but then again, so am I, but I dont intentionaly annoy people...well ok I do...but not like "norm the cnut" does.

He's probably an ex donkey walloper if you ask me.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Norm, are you listening?

Good!

You're a knob.

20. Sounds and reads like a profile is coming about our Norman.

For Pilot --read Photographer !!! [aircrew ????]
    He did mention a term in the old Rhodesia Armed forces in the how long
    you served thread.

Norman you sound interesting------ however you also sound like a
    fanny in your posts .