Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ratings Uniform Question

Personally, I think today's ratings uniform ( 'Square Rig') is verging on the comical and more in keeping with Gilbert and Sullivan. Now in my day (!) you had real 32" bellbottoms, a big 'U' front and a cap with a bit of shape - up at the front and down at the sides and the bow over the left eye ( after training, of course ).
But seriously, I think the uniform is in urgent need of redesign - and it should be more masculine (sorry girls). The modern beret is a step in the right direction

whitemouse said:
Gino,

We Shotley boys used to have to crease our collars that way also, but that was for display of ink stamped names for kit musters etc. I gave that up when I joined the fleet at the tender age of 16 and a few months and became a real sailor :wink: :) !!

Whitemouse,

So you didn't have to sew your name in red silk on every item of kit then? I assume socks were stamped and not laboriously sewn? I had been wondering how you sewed your name into your boots! :wink:

Always.

Tansy said:
Personally, I think today's ratings uniform ( 'Square Rig') is verging on the comical and more in keeping with Gilbert and Sullivan. Now in my day (!) you had real 32" bellbottoms, a big 'U' front and a cap with a bit of shape - up at the front and down at the sides and the bow over the left eye ( after training, of course ).
But seriously, I think the uniform is in urgent need of redesign - and it should be more masculine (sorry girls). The modern beret is a step in the right direction

So no more pink jumpers then? :wink:

Always_a_Civvy said:
whitemouse said:
Gino,

So you didn't have to sew your name in red silk on every item of kit then? I assume socks were stamped and not laboriously sewn? I had been wondering how you sewed your name into your boots! :wink:

Always.

We were issued with "proper" boots, ie leather, and had to stamp our name with metal dies and a hammer, into the instep. Don't know what they do with these imitation composite rubber things nowadays!!

2BM

It sounds as if you folks are having the same problems with uniforms as our young sailors are having over here. Every time you turn around, they are coming up with some new lame shit to try out. The latest scam is some sort of "urban camo" rig that looks like an explosion in the fecking paint locker. Looks like shit. In my day (50s - 80s) it was dress wool blues, undress blues, whites for summer and dugarees for work. White hat and black boots for everything. Sailors should look like sailors. And don't get me started on females on combat ships.

In my time 1963-1972 no 4 was night rig ,bluetrousers& blue seamans jersey or white front. If I remember correctly the white front replaced the jersey under the jumper during the summer months (UK).
When I was a JEM at St Vincent we used to wear the jersey under the no 8 shirt.As previously mentioned they were like wearing a brillo pad. ( A good pennance for the Opus-Dei) At Collingwood they were worn over the no8 shirt.The jack tars of the day would cut the sleeves of the jersey and wear a T shirt underneath to make it less itchy.( I still have my doctored jersey ,red silk embroidered name etc, in my kit bag,it still fits me ,I must have been a fat bastard at 15)
No9s were Blue overalls which most EMs and stokers wore constantly on board even changing into clean ones after a bath and dhobey for unofficial night rig

Always_a_Civvy said:
whitemouse said:
Gino,

We Shotley boys used to have to crease our collars that way also, but that was for display of ink stamped names for kit musters etc. I gave that up when I joined the fleet at the tender age of 16 and a few months and became a real sailor :wink: :) !!

Whitemouse,

Always.

Hi,

Yep, Red silk stitching on all uniform items (including sox) except:
Collars, they were stamped in black paint (large wooden type). Handerchiefs were printed in one corner in black paint with a small metal
type
Black silks stamped on the inside of the loop at the bottom, after folding it for god knows how many times..!!
Caps - stamped in black paint, large wood type
Boots, Shoes (Deck slippers - anyone get issued with those cos I didn't ?) stamped undernetah the instep. Also had to buff these to shine like the toecaps/heel - I still do a polish in that place to this day, but have given up on spit/polish
Grip/Kitbag large black painted name - still got the kitbag with old junk in it somewhere!

Can't recall how the blue uniforms were marked though

Then into the Fleet, and had to unpick all the stitching :x on the Nos8 shirts and sew white tapes with black paint printed name, I did leave the stitching on the shirt tail though.

:)

When did wearing "Royal Navy" flashes on the shoulders enter the service?Is it because nobody recognises the Navy anymore, I know its only my opinion but this new uniform sucks, white shirtS? FFS who comes up with these ideas?

I think our class was the first to be issued with the new style No1s in 1977 with the velcro collar, (don't know if its changed since)

The abuse I got at Culdrose when duty "PT runner" for the first time, I was bollocked & threatened with being trooped as well as a kit muster by PTO & CPOPTI For being in a "circus rig" told to come back in proper uniform.

As a young 17 yo, fresh out the box, I'll admit i wasn't far from blubing as I had never been chewed out like that before, told the OOW what had happened, straight away said thats the new rig isn't it.

At least the CPO had the decency to say sorry.

I remember getting issued with Timberland Boat shoes instead of pussers sandals for a WIGS deployment in the early 90's. Can anyone remember if this was a trial or whether it was fleet wide/became regular issue?

I do remember all the Chief's Mess wearing them ashore though, the tight ar$es!!

chockhead819 said:
I think our class was the first to be issued with the new style No1s in 1977 with the velcro collar, (don't know if its changed since) .....................................

Lord Louie Mountbatten inspected the new uniforms in Chatham when I was there in the 70s - I believe he turned down one because the guy 'looked like a bloody German' :?
The parade consisted of baby sailors and jennies.

My DO at the time, had to write a report regarding the cost savings (to Pusser and obviously the lesser amount of a uniform grant needed) that could be made on one style being adopted that meant less of a change when the jack was promoted to SR.

He couldn't see that the style he was considering the report for, had only 4 stabright buttons (not the normal 6 gilt), no buttons on the sleeve backs, the lapels actually pointed down, and the trousers were flared.
This style was a much favoured one amongst the lads I knew because the jacket could be opened for ease of movement (or when ashore partaking of a tipple or two - or to get into action speedily ..!! :wink: ) instead of unzipping jacket / loosening the lanyard, collar tapes & silk etc.

:)

whitemouse said:
Lord Louie Mountbatten inspected the new uniforms in Chatham when I was there in the 70s - I believe he turned down one because the guy 'looked like a bloody German' :?

Not a bad comment coming from someone whose family name was Battenburg (i.e. Bloody German) prior to WW1.

phil1972 said:
whitemouse said:

Not a bad comment coming from someone whose family name was Battenburg (i.e. Bloody German) prior to WW1.

Hence the :? smiley..... :D

Latest Threads