Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ratings Uniform Question

Did both Bosuns Mate and QM in half blues, ie white front , bells and cap, Bosuns call was looped thru trouser loop and then stuffed in pocket bit like a Prison Officer and his keys. In hot climes wore white shorts and white front and cap. never hung call chain around my neck cos drunks could grab it and strangle you so a silly place to put it. All circ 1963/4.

Trot sentry on boats, No 8ts. and foulweather jacket Mk1. blue plastic thing with hood. Bosuns call some place but only used it on official occassions. i.e. we had been warned we would have to pipe some VIP or similar.

Still have my call issued at Ganges to them that qualified.

Nutty

PS have just looked at Photo of me in white shorts etc at GAN 1963 as Bos'Mate call hangs from belt loop into pocket.
 
What about flight deck jerseys? At Prestwick it was OK to wear them on the line but at Yeovil I got bollocked for wearing it on the line during the summer & that was by a ATC softie
 
Nutty said:
Did both Bosuns Mate and QM in half blues, ie white front , bells and cap, Bosuns call was looped thru trouser loop and then stuffed in pocket bit like a Prison Officer and his keys. In hot climes wore white shorts and white front and cap. never hung call chain around my neck cos drunks could grab it and strangle you so a silly place to put it. All circ 1963/4.

Trot sentry on boats, No 8ts. and foulweather jacket Mk1. blue plastic thing with hood. Bosuns call some place but only used it on official occassions. i.e. we had been warned we would have to pipe some VIP or similar.

Still have my call issued at Ganges to them that qualified.

Nutty

PS have just looked at Photo of me in white shorts etc at GAN 1963 as Bos'Mate call hangs from belt loop into pocket.
Much obliged for that info. Our sea cadets still wear them that way sometimes, although there are those who claim that it isn't proper. I was looking for some good old precedent from the Andrew. I still have my call from when I was a sea cadet boatswain in '78. A cherished heirloom.
 
chockhead819 said:
What about flight deck jerseys? At Prestwick it was OK to wear them on the line but at Yeovil I got bollocked for wearing it on the line during the summer & that was by a ATC softie

Thats ATC/HC for ya...... dabbers who lost their way and couldnt make killick in their source branch (sorry Taff, but you can't tie knots either dude) :eek: I always heard VL got funny the closer you were to FONAs office.

Seriously though, in small ships the flights wore em with 8's trousers, beret ashore, even when store ship etc, after being dhobeyed theyre as soft as a baby tiffs bumfluff, and as the stores bashers wrote em off once or twice a trip, being permanent items they would give us back the used ones (after they were ahem...destroyed), minus a couple, as they were the most sought after uniform gizzit on the ship. Great under your OVs, and technically as they are "rig" the MEs and WEs would be nice to WAFUs for literally minutes at a time in the hope of scoring one. They like to wear em in shore estabs to PT to show how they were totally "in" with the flight and used to do door gunning and rapid roping assault and everything.... :lol:

Anyway, I s'pose being a chockhead you stood out a bit in yeller. But not as bad as the firefighters who LOVED going to scran in the rangerover wearing their green fearnought tied round their waist with the green string "Thunderbirds" tops on, showing nips and all. Then to the Naafi to impress the warthogs.
 
PartTimer said:
For those who want to get up to date with the current numbering system, the RN website has it all. Not quite up to date though - it has the IAWD for No 4s, which jesse noted has been withdrawn (returning to the old No 4 shirt) as the norgy top was a complete load of poor quality shit. Too put it bluntly.

Blue Uniforms - http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3762
White Uniforms - http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3766

I just had a look at that Norgy top thing, and HOLY CRAP that guy dressed as a CPO (knowing "standeasy productions" he's prolly a real CPO) is an absolute scranbag. He looks like Peter Griffin (see Family Guy) in naval rig. No wonder they binned it. We used to be allowed to wear Norgys with combats in the field with Royal or Pongos (do Junglies still do this Daz?) so the locals didnt know who to shoot at first, but with no epaulettes you had to wear a rank on your DPM/lightweights belt loop, easily covered by the norge top. This way we could sneak our JRs into the SR mess on crab/pongo bases so we could all scran together, it saved time and the food was better, except for Gib (crab/208 flt) where we all went to the JR (airmans) mess, and bar, but then you could wander in there with flip flops and banyan rig and no-one seemed to mind.
 
Gino said:
Also, do parade GIs in the RN still wear a gunner's chain and "thunder whistle"?

They do indeed
Chain is attached to the waistband and the whistle placed in the pocket, unless in full blues in which case the whistle/chain replaces the lanyard (for leading GIs) or round the neck and in the breast pocket (POs and above).
 
Monty_Stubble said:
Anyone know when the RN stopped wearing the WW2 style blue cap.

I wastold 1956 is this correct?

Yes, after 1956 it went to "all white". Also at this time non-seaman officers lost the coloured band between the rings on their cuffs/epaullettes (except doctors/medics, dentists and shipwrights who still have them today).
Also at this time the white front started being worn at all times of year.

I think it was also then that everyone (except tiffs?) became "dressed as seamen".
 
dunkers said:
Monty_Stubble said:
Anyone know when the RN stopped wearing the WW2 style blue cap.

I wastold 1956 is this correct?

Yes, after 1956 it went to "all white". Also at this time non-seaman officers lost the coloured band between the rings on their cuffs/epaullettes (except doctors/medics, dentists and shipwrights who still have them today).
Also at this time the white front started being worn at all times of year.

I think it was also then that everyone (except tiffs?) became "dressed as seamen".

MAA Dunkers

I have pictures on me at the G_Spot 1962 in No1's. with blue jumper not white front. I vaguely rember wearing them on the Tenby 1964 as well. Horrible scratchy things

Nutty
 
Nutty said:
dunkers said:
Monty_Stubble said:
Anyone know when the RN stopped wearing the WW2 style blue cap.

I wastold 1956 is this correct?

Yes, after 1956 it went to "all white". Also at this time non-seaman officers lost the coloured band between the rings on their cuffs/epaullettes (except doctors/medics, dentists and shipwrights who still have them today).
Also at this time the white front started being worn at all times of year.

I think it was also then that everyone (except tiffs?) became "dressed as seamen".

MAA Dunkers

I have pictures on me at the G_Spot 1962 in No1's. with blue jumper not white front. I vaguely rember wearing them on the Tenby 1964 as well. Horrible scratchy things

Nutty

I am sure I was still wearing a blue fron in 64, although I can't be sure, but I was certainly wearing one in 62. I agree they were not the most pleasant thing to have next to ones skin.

Peter
 
Nutty said:
dunkers said:
Monty_Stubble said:
Anyone know when the RN stopped wearing the WW2 style blue cap.

I wastold 1956 is this correct?

Yes, after 1956 it went to "all white". Also at this time non-seaman officers lost the coloured band between the rings on their cuffs/epaullettes (except doctors/medics, dentists and shipwrights who still have them today).
Also at this time the white front started being worn at all times of year.

I think it was also then that everyone (except tiffs?) became "dressed as seamen".

MAA Dunkers

I have pictures on me at the G_Spot 1962 in No1's. with blue jumper not white front. I vaguely rember wearing them on the Tenby 1964 as well. Horrible scratchy things

Nutty

Then I have been grossly misinformed by one of your fellow ex-GSpotters 8O

There were some changes made in 1977 as well weren't they? maybe they went out then.
 
I remember wearing the blue wool Sea Jersey during the months of October to March while in training, and I also wore them when I was on duty in blues with red badges (with silk but no collar/lanyard) during the winter months prior to being rated SR - can't say I missed them - I considered them similar to scotchbrite pads!!.
I also recall wearing the sea jersey when travelling from one place to another in uniform, when classified as 'duty' but with the collar & silk worn but no lanyard.
I can't recall if we still wore them on duty after they issued the woolie pullie in the 70s.

Do you remember having to sew the rate badge on, which promptly shrunk when you washed the pullie ? You couldn't wear themunder a jacket either - so I took a leaf out the old(er) navy's book, and wore a blue sleeveless pullover during the winter months.

Incidentally, when did SRs start wearing jackets with back vents, and soft hats 'a la officer' :?:
 
dunkers said:
Can't imagine how horrible it must have been to wear that jersey if it got wet :(
We had them in the CCF and they were horrible!!!!Just like a huge soggy Scotch pad! :cry: :cry:
 
Black caps went out in May 56 ,the wooly front lasted quite a few years but was only worn as winter rig,I believe the Zipped front and bells came in around 1960,not certain ,it was a joy to wear ,you didnt need your oppo to help get you out of it.We used to cut the sleeves of the blue jumper,to save getting armpit rash.
 

Latest Threads

Top