Ratings Joining Advice - 25 Year Old Grad

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Me too! Plus, at the time, the financial incentive was I think 50p a day and no pension differential. They actually had to virtually beg people to do it - not this c/s.
I was in one draft where I was doing the Charge jb and was entitled to substitution pay, when asked why I wasn't claiming it the officer in question was amazed it was only 50p per day (before tax).

On one boat the inboard Cdr (E) and the MEO were in manouvering when the lack of CC's came up. The Cdr asked me why I wasn't interested and I said there was no point doing an extra 6 months course (to become an NCOW) then a years training on a boat to qualify in every position, followed by a three day board, just to go outside and get the same pension. The Cdr tried to tell me there was a pension differential and was genuinely stunned when one of the CC's present told him there wasn't.

That also summed up to me the level of some officers knowledge of the lower deck.

Just a thought. Have you considered the RFA, or are you set on the RN?
Thanks Salty, I have considered the RFA, however, at present they aren't recruiting for the roles I'd be interested in.

I am seriously considering the UGAS scheme after the advice I've received from the AFCO and on here, as it certainly looks to be both a challenging scheme and not becoming too distant from hands on engineering.

The only last reservation I have in the back of my mind is, I feel I could be potentially missing out on some of the experiences of the surface counter parts, which is why initially I would have preferred to have at least a couple years experience on the surface fleet prior to transferring to the boats.

Thanks for the advice.

slim

War Hero
As a ex Wafu who after leaving the RN was cast into the wilderness of no aircraft related work (my choice) I fell amongst the great unwashed, yes submariners. I worked for some time on Sins and to be honest thoroughly enjoyed it.
Submariners were some of the finest people I ever worked with, twisted sense of humour but fantastic men.
If I had my time again I would still be a Wafu if I could, however submariner would be my next choice.

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
I was in one draft where I was doing the Charge jb and was entitled to substitution pay, when asked why I wasn't claiming it the officer in question was amazed it was only 50p per day (before tax).

On one boat the inboard Cdr (E) and the MEO were in manouvering when the lack of CC's came up. The Cdr asked me why I wasn't interested and I said there was no point doing an extra 6 months course (to become an NCOW) then a years training on a boat to qualify in every position, followed by a three day board, just to go outside and get the same pension. The Cdr tried to tell me there was a pension differential and was genuinely stunned when one of the CC's present told him there wasn't.

That also summed up to me the level of some officers knowledge of the lower deck.
......so far, with due deference to Wrecker, as a generally not very well known aspect of pension administration was concerned.

Jack

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
As a ex Wafu who after leaving the RN was cast into the wilderness of no aircraft related work (my choice) I fell amongst the great unwashed, yes submariners. I worked for some time on Sins and to be honest thoroughly enjoyed it.
Submariners were some of the finest people I ever worked with, twisted sense of humour but fantastic men.
If I had my time again I would still be a Wafu if I could, however submariner would be my next choice.
Pity you were too late for M2!

Zoidberg

War Hero
Wafu win win situation
Submariners pay and Flying pay.
Pity it wasn't viable :(
The Japanese in WW2 planned and trained for various attacks with submarine aircraft carriers. Long story short was that they surrendered before the attacks took place.