Rating to Officer...?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by djawye, May 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Once joined as a rating how ease is the transfer to officer?

I am pretty much committed to joining the RNR after much contemplation, but don't have the 180 UCAS points to apply to join as Officer. Currently doing my BEng part time with 3 yrs remaining, is it worth me joining now and making a move once achieved the magic 180..?

Still pondering the rating/officer question in my head so any thoughts or views would be helpful..

2. The vast majority of officers in the RNR who are no ex-RN joined as ratings first. Those going through officer training in the RNR tend to be older anyway so you certainly won't be falling behind by going in as a rating first. It will also reduce the learning curve for both AIB and officer training - your unit can help with AIB preparation and you'll already have covered the noddy stuff you need to know for officer training so can focus on the stuff you actually need to learn.
  3. Thanks for the response. I'm beginning to think that is the more sensible approach..!!

Say older...I am 31 now..!! ;-)
  4. I went through with a 35 year old who beat us all in the runs. Age doesn't have to be an issue - if anything it'll help you feel at home in the wardroom...