Rating selection interview help

From what ive seen on these forums, all i would roughly need to know for the interview is about my role and me a s a person and the average questions that come up in the interview

Do i need to know about the history of the Royal navy or how big raleigh is ??
Or what all the acronyms are such as PLI,PLT,BRNC AND MARL?
First sea ord?
Ect

From what ive seen on these forums, all i would roughly need to know for the interview is about my role and me a s a person and the average questions that come up in the interview

Do i need to know about the history of the Royal navy or how big raleigh is ??
Or what all the acronyms are such as PLI,PLT,BRNC AND MARL?
First sea ord?
Ect
Ord?

SpannerRat

Lantern Swinger
For my interview, I did exactly the same as you; memorised all the important dates and names and ships etc etc.

Got to my interview feeling confident.

I was then asked a tonne of questions about when I was at school and what physical activities I did when I was at school. It felt like I was being asked questions from the school leavers folder.. very bizarre. Safe to say it’s been a fair while since I left school!!

It can’t hurt to know a few little facts about the organisation you’re joining though, like any job interview.

For my interview, I did exactly the same as you; memorised all the important dates and names and ships etc etc.

Got to my interview feeling confident.

I was then asked a tonne of questions about when I was at school and what physical activities I did when I was at school. It felt like I was being asked questions from the school leavers folder.. very bizarre. Safe to say it’s been a fair while since I left school!!

It can’t hurt to know a few little facts about the organisation you’re joining though, like any job interview.
Thanks for your reply. I'm kind of hoping they do the same with me as I will have a lot of understanding as to what they're saying. After the interview, will i get told what the outcome is?

SpannerRat

Lantern Swinger
Usually straight away yep. They then take your height and weight and I believe your papers get sent off to arrange a medical.

Make sure you have all paperwork and documents you should have. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people who turned up same time as me without the right papers, it just pisses the recruiters off.

Silly things like the tattoo proforma. Even if you have no tattoos... you still need to bring it!! That’s what it was when I did it anyway. Check what the forms tell you to bring.

Also, get yourself a little folder with all your docs in, then when the recruiter comes out and asks you for them, you can just get them all out and hand them to him, not fumbling around looking like a nervous wreck. It’s all part of the interview process. Impressions count.

Normally they just ask you about yourself, hobbies, what your family think of you joining, your trade and where Phase 2 is but generally it’s just about you.

Good Luck with your interviews. I just sat mine in the last week. The interviewer, asked me a lot about my family life, did I get along with them, and what do they think of me joining. He went on to ask about what my hobbies are, what my favourite subjects were at school, do I partake in any team sports, what positions of responsibility have I held. In terms of what he asked me about the Navy, I was asked why we have a Navy and what they do. I talked a bit about surveying and dropped a few names of survey ships, that impressed the interviewer. He asked me about why I chose the role, what I know about the training, both at HMS Raleigh and beyond. He then stumped me a little when he asked what traits made a good person in my chosen role. He finally ended the interview with two questions; What was your proudest moment and what was your least proud moment?

It is also important to dress smartly, make a good visual impression. Do not go in jeans and a t-shirt, wear smart clothes and polished shoes. Speak clearly, do not mutter. Look the interview in the eye but don't stare them down.

Just be confident, and Good Luck