Rating pilots. Time to bring them back?

Waspie

War Hero
Information about it freely available on Wikipedia.

On my last 2 ships, (mid 90's), I was the Air Weapons bloke - my handling and prep courses for the torpedoes, DCs and missiles did not include the nuclear depth bomb as it was no longer in service.
In fact, one of my first jobs was to remove the fittings for the monitoring equipment for "the bomb" from the Air Weapons magazine as it was no longer required.

I'm guessing there must be another reason for 2 officers in helicopters...
This'll be the wee beastie!! WE177 Nuc Depth Bomb

There is a great deal of rubbish spoken of the thing. 'Suicide mission for Wasp pilots' - blah blah!! Nonsense. The only reason it was a single pilot mission was range. One extra crew meant 200Lbs of fuel - 12 minutes of flight time! That was range.

It was a PITA. Two man rule. Make an error loading and it was back to the start!!!

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Bit lonely in there when he is carrying the bucket of sunshine. It didn't fit straight due to size and had to he fitted at an angle across the aircraft. 3cfdef1dbb6845f5deeaaf2233718a44.jpg

Waspie

War Hero
Going back to the WE177. I remember when a 'live one' was flown into Portland. 2 Para was brought down the day of the arrival and formed a 50 m and 100m cordon of fully armed soldiers around R3Hard. No-one and I mean no-one was permitted through the cordon other than the folk actually dealing with the Helicopter.
MDP were in boats patrolling close inshore as were some very special people, (Shhhhhh).
It may never have been tested or used but it was always treated with the utmost respect and caution.

D

Deleted 113170

Going back to the WE177. I remember when a 'live one' was flown into Portland. 2 Para was brought down the day of the arrival and formed a 50 m and 100m cordon of fully armed soldiers around R3Hard. No-one and I mean no-one was permitted through the cordon other than the folk actually dealing with the Helicopter.
MDP were in boats patrolling close inshore as were some very special people, (Shhhhhh).
It may never have been tested or used but it was always treated with the utmost respect and caution.
No need to worry as it didn't go bang

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Sad he's gone, (not) but he'll probably see this anyway. Copied from Jackspeak:

40 years ago today :
On this day in 1982 British forces began landing at San Carlos and Port San Carlos in the first major land actions to recover the Falkland Islands.
Two Gazelle helicopters from 3 CBAS were shot down by small arms fire near Port San Carlos. Sgt Pilot Evans RM, Lt Francis RM and L/Cpl Griffin RM were killed.
A Harrier GR3 from 1 (F) Sqd was shot down over Port Howard. FltLt Gover ejected, injured, and was taken prisoner.

Latest Threads