Rating pilots. Time to bring them back?

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
I think you are all just rising to the bait lanky throws out, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot he actually is knowledgeable about. He's not stated why he feels the need for rating pilots to come back, or, indeed, the point of this thread.

In fact he contradicts himself (surprise, surprise) by stating that only officers have the intelligence to operate aircraft. he's obviously not met some of the officers I have, some of whom the operation of a pencil sharpener is the height of their mechanical ability, and that without risk to themselves.
"2B, or not 2B? That is the question" as Hamlet may not have said.....o_O

And in case anyone is sufficiently interested, here is a link to a reasonably relevant PPRuNe thread https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/566282-commissioned-vs-nco-pilots.html?highlight=Lieutenant

Additionally, drawing on what NM and Wasp are saying, the key wording regarding the AAC appears to be "have the opportunity to *apply*". Teeny Weeny Airways, Waspie - is there an echo in here?:D

Jack

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
"2B, or not 2B? That is the question" as Hamlet may not have said.....o_O

And in case anyone is sufficiently interested, here is a link to a reasonably relevant PPRueNe thread https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/566282-commissioned-vs-nco-pilots.html?highlight=Lieutenant

Additionally, drawing on what NM and Wasp are saying, the key wording regarding the AAC appears to be "have the opportunity to *apply*". Teeny Weeny Airways, Waspie - is there an echo in here?:D

Jack
Sorry UJ. I missed your original post re TWA. I have the OP on ignore so fast tracked through the thread.

Waspie

War Hero
Hazarding a guess I imagine those Army wannabees who fail their pilot course all end up reciting:

'Oy, You there - PURRIT BACK! Just ONE sausage! ya bazz!'
I worked alongside a Pongo Sgt a few years after I left the mob. He was going AAC Pilot. Passed all the interviews and such. He was doing some course prep they sent him and was not understanding much of the navigation. I helped him through that until he was comfortable with the maths and methods of DR. Went to Middle Wallop passed the course with flying colours. (I know - sh1t pun). I next see him back at Lulworth as orderly Sgt.

Me '????" What you doing here? I heard you passed?
Him. I did, then an hour before the wings presentation, (family present to see him awarded his wings). The OC tells him he's too old!!!! RTU'd - WTF!

And you think life can be sh1t in the pusser!!!!

Didn't see him much but heard trough the grapevine he left the Army and managed to get a job with Bristows.

Waspie

War Hero
I'm sure I remember a Booty Cpl flying a Scout or similar, possibly Belize or Andros (I know, name/place dropping sundodger!).
Something the back of my mind is saying JNCO's could fly but in a non armed role. i.e. recce and taxi flights!! May be wrong!!! But hey!! only human!!

D

Deleted 113170

Something the back of my mind is saying JNCO's could fly but in a non armed role. i.e. recce and taxi flights!! May be wrong!!! But hey!! only human!!
You are quite right. WW2 and beyond rating/nco pilots were curtailed in their aggressive roles. Perhaps the powers that be imagined, should they be taken prisoner,they would lack that stiff upper lip that is provided at birth to the upper classes-- and spill the beans

Stirlin

War Hero
You are quite right. WW2 and beyond rating/nco pilots were curtailed in their aggressive roles. Perhaps the powers that be imagined, should they be taken prisoner,they would lack that stiff upper lip that is provided at birth to the upper classes-- and spill the beans

They get the stiff upper lip after being twatted by non upper classes , obviously you were never twatted hard enough for making statements like that.

Waspie

War Hero
I have Lanky blocked but read his post re 'stiff upper lip'.
Again another post from someone with no idea of how the aircrew training pipeline works.
ALL Aircrew, (rating/officer), do the same survival and resistance to interrogation training. Some even go a stretch further and do the SAS survival and interrogation faze. (CSI - aka Combat Survival Instructor) A very good friend of mine, Bob!! Started as a rating, went officer, did the CSI bit and although now retired from the mob is a interrogator for ? (Whoever wants answers!!!!) I'll leave it there.
Stiff upper lip as he calls it has absolutely FA to do with being an officer. It's what is inside us all. Me - I'm a tell all for a bacon butty sort of chap!! In fact I dare say they'd have to gag me to shut the **** up!!!

Latest Threads