Rating pilots. Time to bring them back?

Honestly don’t see why not in the rotary wing side of things. The army air corps just dropped their minimum rank to private from sergeant. It’s only because the RAF used to have the nuclear deterrent that it became an officer thing.

slim

War Hero
It will never happen.
Pussers Helos are all nuclear capable and will always require two occifers in cockpit when in this configuration.
The Army Air Corp many years ago discovered that the scout helo (army version of RN Wasp) cost less to buy than a fully equipped Landrover and associated trailer full of gear.
So they introduced Sgt Pilots. These trained for two years and were then returned to unit.
Idea being that in the event of hostilities there would be a pool of fully trained pilots who just needed refresher courses.
However I did not realise that now they had Privates flying helos

D

Deleted 113170

Honestly don’t see why not in the rotary wing side of things. The army air corps just dropped their minimum rank to private from sergeant. It’s only because the RAF used to have the nuclear deterrent that it became an officer thing.
RAF Master Pilots disappeared around 1980 I think. Those I spoke to (We had a number training the new Zambian pilots). They were first rate individuals I remember. It was the time of Rhodesia' UDI and Zambias air space was controlled from Salisbury Southern Rhodesia. Putative enemies but amusing to hear the RAF pilots joking with their old mates who were in charge of their flying in Salisbury. What a farce dear Harold Wilson.

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
It's all covered in great detail across on PPRuNe for those inclined to have a look and, without wishing to be sidetracked into a convoluted trip down Memory Lane, I'll simply like to mention that the Army Air Corps (aka Teeny Weeny Airways :eek:) have not dropped their minimum rank for *pilots* to the equivalent of private. What has changed is simply that those of that rank may now *apply* for flying training, followed by subsequent promotion on successful completion.

Jack

Ballistic

War Hero
I left in 85 so am really out of touch.
I cannot believe that the SHUSHHHHHH. thing has been removed from service.
Information about it freely available on Wikipedia.

On my last 2 ships, (mid 90's), I was the Air Weapons bloke - my handling and prep courses for the torpedoes, DCs and missiles did not include the nuclear depth bomb as it was no longer in service.
In fact, one of my first jobs was to remove the fittings for the monitoring equipment for "the bomb" from the Air Weapons magazine as it was no longer required.

I'm guessing there must be another reason for 2 officers in helicopters...

D

Deleted 113170

Information about it freely available on Wikipedia.

On my last 2 ships, (mid 90's), I was the Air Weapons bloke - my handling and prep courses for the torpedoes, DCs and missiles did not include the nuclear depth bomb as it was no longer in service.
In fact, one of my first jobs was to remove the fittings for the monitoring equipment for "the bomb" from the Air Weapons magazine as it was no longer required.

I'm guessing there must be another reason for 2 officers in helicopters...
One to steer it.
The other to stop bits falling off.
These skills are at officer level. Are you suggesting otherwise?

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
In 91 I was still helping to reassemble and test the wiring circuits on SeaKing for the special weapon.

All very well and good until we had finished one of the larger plugs on the Observers console and realised that we hadn't fitted the backshell to the plug assembly.

Latest Threads