Rating/Officers

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Captain_Jacks said:
Things have changed.

When you join full time you may find life a bit different from the lower decks and a few inter-relations have come about after a mess dinner or two.

A JR and officer relationship is still not fully recommended, but is now tolerated unlike the old days, but RN and RNR that should not be allowed. :twisted:

Dont what the navy to know what we get up to!! :wink:
...and we don't know where you've been so don't want to catch anything! 8O :wink:

Deckhead_Inspector

Lantern Swinger
The RNR is full of married couples. Leave it all at home and you will be fine.

Of course a lot of RNR senior officers still think they are major players in "The Cruel Sea". S/Lts are alowed to invite Commisioned Lovlies to RPCs and thats it. Infact the rules in those days were that Officers were allowed to invite WRNS ratings into the wardroom providing they were in civvy rig. This continued right up to the time I joined. (It was felt, and was possible true, that all WRNS were from a good background (if they were not they would be in the ATS, Sorry Ma'am, or heaven forbid the WAAFs).

You may have to put up with a bit of miss guided prejudice but do not worry. As you are going for the RN it may even be a bonus.

(If you are same sex ABs it may even be an advantage, LOL!)

Seadog

War Hero
Deakhead inspector wrote

Of course a lot of RNR senior officers still think they are major players in "The Cruel Sea". S/Lts are alowed to invite Commisioned Lovlies to RPCs
Well observed and subtle!

I understand RNR units sometimes have 'a bar' as opposed to separate messes so this is a Regular perspective.

Suggested rules for 'special' guests of mess members; guest in plain clothes, if senior, leave your rank at the door, what you hear and see in the mess stays in the mess-goes for members too. If any mess member has reasonable objections (the guest is the rating/officer of his private hell) the visit doesn't happen/ends.

If everyone is mature, doesn't take advantage, get on anyone's tits no problem. Unfortunately advantage is often sought and often given, usually when the coupling is a 20 year old JR Jenny and late thirties/forties male Senior Rate. I've had a hard time from an Officer for including a his special Wren in an impromptu 'all hands in' work party. He was told to take his 'complaint' to the XO but I advised him not to let his cock do the talking.