Rating 10 week initial training

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Rattlehead, Jul 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone.

I'm 32 looking to join as a deck rating.

I have a couple of questions regarding the initial training at HMS Raleigh. Do the RFA attend classes with RN trainees or are we all separated during the 10 weeks?

I understand that the RFA may not be involved with all the fitness that the RN go through but surly the RFA guys are put through some sort of PT while they are there. For instance when we all get up at 0530 and the RN guys are having a fitness session, are the RFA just watching or joining in?

Thanks in advance
  2. The Wafus won't be turning out at 0530 hrs:hello2:
  3. RFA training is separate from RN.
  4. The only time you will be up at 0530 is when your making your way back from ashore after having grabbed a gronk in Tor Point mate! Thats the only required Phys !!!!
  5. I start my training in September. What is the average age of trainee ratings, I'm 22 btw.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

One of the few-okay loads of -things that grip my shit is sailors and marines using army 'hours ' in the 24 hour clock. Stop it.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. wal

wal Badgeman

What he said.
  8. Seadog

Usually; 'wot e sed' posts would be as annoying as '2430 hours' posts. I'll make an exception for wal's understanding and support.

If you claim to be 'Navy' understand this not so subtle difference or fcuk off.
  9. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The RN recruits are at Raleigh doing their Initial Naval Training for 10 weeks prior to moving onto phase 2 when they do their branch training. RFA ratings join up to do 10 weeks branch training straight off, no initial training. Different accom, different galley, different routine.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  10. Seadog

Heading east, 'clocks' pipes at 2300 from Navs. 'Don't forget to advance clocks at 0200'

Cheers cnut, everyone was already asleep until your pipe woke us as we're missing an hour's kip. How hard can it be?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for the reply guys it's much appreciated.

12. Well I just got my application in the post this morning. They told me the closing date is 31st july. They also said that they want people on ships by jan 2014 so I have to be quick. I would imagine if I get accepted then yes I would be joining by September.

Im only guessing of course I may not even get accepted.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  13. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The earliest you'll be in training is January then a ship in April if successful.

14. That's actually goods news Darren/exJenny. Gives me more time to get everything in place before I go to training. IF I go to training that is.
  15. Just a quick one, if I'm unsuccessful at AIB am I able to transfer my application to a rating or do I have to start all over again?
  16. I will ring them next week when I know the outcome of my AIB. I would be hopeful that I could just 'switch' given the very tight deadline of 31st July. Am I correct in thinking that the RT score is valid for a few years so I wouldn't have to do that again?