Rape - Verdict in.

delpower

Badgeman
Re: Rape

He will go to Colchester for a spell I guess. I was told the longest you can get sent there is 2 years, then you get transferred to a civvy prison. Is this right?

kingoftwigs

War Hero

Not sure about the longest time you can stay in colchester but yeah transfer to civvy prison will happen. I'm pretty sure he will be discharged shore and then sent directly to civvie jail. Not for long enough though, apperently forcing yourself on a woman isn't worthy of a lengthy term, even if you do it over and over again. Still crime is going down....

kingoftwigs said:
He'll get fcuked, then again, if he did he deserves all he gets.
Agreed, there must've been more to this than meets the eye (in my humble opinion) though :neutral:

PartTimePongo

War Hero

Thread edited.

Guys, it's about as serious a breach as you can get, please don't make light of it.

Thanks

PTP

PartTimePongo

War Hero

The deleted post included the line "assault with a friendly weapon"

Not really a suitable post in light of the gravity of the offence, nor something I would wish to see repeated in the media.

aussiepint

War Hero

I'm sorry gonna get some incoming for this but.....Why did this woman all of the sudden remember? Did she seek lawyers before her therapy? I'm sorry but rape is about power and rage not about sex. IT IS WRONG!! Rape on woman is very hard to prove but this is...??

andym

War Hero

Lamri said:
Agreed, there must've been more to this than meets the eye (in my humble opinion) though :neutral:

I think you may be right,its all a bit too convenient.

PartTimePongo

War Hero
No dramas King, nor any castigation of the original poster.

It's just that one unfortunate comment normally begats another and so on, and with the blasted journo's circling as on Arrse , it could lead to less than favourable selective quoting, as has happened before.

Whilst not commenting on this particular case may I remind you all of a few things

1. The standard of proof in criminal matters is beyond reasonable doubt.
2. The Court in Court Martials/jury in civvy trials is unlikely to convict unless they are very sure. You can see that this is an issue because the govt are trying to reduce the ability to have a trial by jury. The govt does not like juries precisely because they do not convict.
3. Leave it at that, because you have not heard the proceedings, and therefore your only information is from the media which delights in distorting matters.

rosinacarley said:
Whilst not commenting on this particular case may I remind you all of a few things

1. The standard of proof in criminal matters is beyond reasonable doubt.
2. The Court in Court Martials/jury in civvy trials is unlikely to convict unless they are very sure. You can see that this is an issue because the govt are trying to reduce the ability to have a trial by jury. The govt does not like juries precisely because they do not convict.
3. Leave it at that, because you have not heard the proceedings, and therefore your only information is from the media which delights in distorting matters.
A problem with this is that juries also have a tendency to convict based upon emotional responses (eg "gut" feelings) about a defendant, etc which can very much count against a defendant. Too many miscarriages of justice has arisen because of failure to properly follow the rules on (secondary) disclosure or because juries for some reason were prejudiced against a class of defendant. There has been a lot of publicity recently about there being insufficient convictions in rape trials which could have subconsciously influenced the jury. There is also substantial evidence that recovered memories are problematic in this situation. No conviction should ever be made solely upon such evidence, nor indeed solely upon forensic evidence. In this case I should be interested to learn the facts of the case in some depth before drawing any definitive conclusions about the veracity of the jury's verdict. The information supplied by the BBC however suggests a serious miscarriage of justice may have arisen.

If it goes to Appeal, as I expect it will, an Appeal is no indicator of guilt or innocence as an Appeal is only successful if substantial new evidence comes to light. The judiciary are notoriously resistant to rejecting original jury verdicts, however problematic these may subsequently turn out to be.

i WAS at the court martial for the entire time and can assure you that the board was extremely professional. this case is subject to reporting restrictions of the highest order about certain things but i can tell all that it was not a clear cut case by any means. what one peron said was consent another says wasnt. drink played a major factor here and who can say that we havent done something we later regret when we sober up.

i DO NOT for one minute condone or excuse, what a jury of my superiors have deemed, a major crime but he wasnot the JR stalking sex preying rapist that the media has made out.

welcome any ill-informed comments back please.

PS after 5 days of EDMR im still not any the wiser so i pity the poor officers on the board that made this decision

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Rape victims in Wales to benefit from UK Government funding boost  MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rape victims to benefit from government funding boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £5m increase for rape and sexual abuse victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Funding boost for victims of rape and sexual abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ex-West Yorkshire police officer has rape sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government increases funding for rape and sexual abuse victims MoD News 0
O Former Royal Navy man jailed for Helensburgh child rape Submariners 6
dapperdunn Indian police chief's remarks on rape. Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS News story: Foreign Secretary announces funds for survivors of rape in war MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for Africa comments on rape case in Somalia MoD News 0
supermario RAPE (Retire Aged People Early). Miscellaneous 0
Passed-over_Loggie Rape or Consent Current Affairs 26
Murph Facebook Rape Taken To A New Level!! The Internet - Best and Worst 8
Ja5on Pc arrested over 'rape on duty' Current Affairs 23
5dits Jail for Wren who cried rape Current Affairs 49
L Australian rape case Diamond Lil's 20
copenhagencup Chiefs Rape conviction quashed Current Affairs 45
slim Lovesick lesbian cried rape to frame an innocent man Diamond Lil's 9
slim Woman jailed for false rape claim Diamond Lil's 4
slim A failed asylum seeker jailed for child rape recieves £50,00 Diamond Lil's 21
slim Two months for girl whose rape lie ruined cabbie's life The Quarterdeck 17
slim Pilot denies 'rape by deception' Diamond Lil's 6
Gutaway Self rape The Gash Barge 41
RNMA 18yr old cleared of Rape charges. Current Affairs 4
Shakey Rape and sexual offences laws Current Affairs 7
S Warship petty officer charged with alleged rape Current Affairs 0
Father_Famine New Rape Law Diamond Lil's 11
dapperdunn Verdict in Lee Rigby trial Current Affairs 61
MoD_RSS Minister “dismayed” at verdict in Bahraini activists’ appeal MoD News 0
diesel HMS Astute Shooting; Trial Verdict Current Affairs 76
finknottle Ian Tomlinson (Inquest Jury Verdict) Current Affairs 102
soleil Inquest into RM deaths in Afghan: Verdict "Unlawful Killing" The Corps 1