Ranks

Bad CO

Admin
As you may know, sites like this operate a rank system based on the number of posts you have made.
Crow - 0
Swinger - 10
Clanker - 50
Old Salt - 100
War Hero - 500
LE - 1000

I have no idea whether these would work ok with this site but would be grateful for any matelot advice .....
 

le_jaq

Midshipman
You might want to be a bit more conventional at the beginning: Ordinary Seaman or OD (10); Able Seaman or AB (50) then move on to Three badge Killick (50); Old Salt (100) Salty Old Sea Dog (250) finishing with Rollicking, frolicking son of Neptune (whatever).

Well that's one under my belt anyway!
 

PartTimer

War Hero
le_jaq said:
You might want to be a bit more conventional at the beginning: Ordinary Seaman or OD (10); Able Seaman or AB (50) then move on to Three badge Killick (50); Old Salt (100) Salty Old Sea Dog (250) finishing with Rollicking, frolicking son of Neptune (whatever).

Well that's one under my belt anyway!

OD of course no longer exists - AB2 then AB1 these days. Oh, hang on, we're not being too accurate here are we! I like 'Sprog' anyway.

Reservist-Monkey said:
LE should be SD as a starter for 10

In the same way SD is now Senior UY.
 
PartTimer said:
le_jaq said:
You might want to be a bit more conventional at the beginning: Ordinary Seaman or OD (10); Able Seaman or AB (50) then move on to Three badge Killick (50); Old Salt (100) Salty Old Sea Dog (250) finishing with Rollicking, frolicking son of Neptune (whatever).

Well that's one under my belt anyway!

OD of course no longer exists - AB2 then AB1 these days. Oh, hang on, we're not being too accurate here are we! I like 'Sprog' anyway.

Reservist-Monkey said:
LE should be SD as a starter for 10

In the same way SD is now Senior UY.

Still prefer SD (oops my age is showing ;) )

We could have Midshipman for the first 10 then up to AB2 after that
 

le_jaq

Midshipman
Very happy to start with Sprog and finish up with SD, although it does rather position the site on the lower deck.

An alternative might be to start off as a OD and gain GCBs for the number of posts made. Although this would only give three possible promotions, it is a system that everyone would understand from someone who served in WW2 through to someone who has just joined the sea cadets, and although it would still be a lower deck system rather than a wardroom one - it does get round the problem of finding a system which accommodates the Royals as well as Jack without giving too much weight to either side.

Bad CO, you probably know this, but the RN gives out GCB (good conduct badges) for four years of undetected crime up to a maximum of three. Hence a three badge AB is someone who has never been promoted (or did not want to) whilst at the same time has managed to stay out of trouble just enough to keep getting his badges.
 

PartTimer

War Hero
le_jaq said:
An alternative might be to start off as a OD and gain GCBs for the number of posts made. Although this would only give three possible promotions, it is a system that everyone would understand from someone who served in WW2 through to someone who has just joined the sea cadets, and although it would still be a lower deck system rather than a wardroom one - it does get round the problem of finding a system which accommodates the Royals as well as Jack without giving too much weight to either side.

We could add 'stars' (in the same manner that ABs get them when qualified for LH etc), or 3 badges then the LS&GC - giving us 4 levels.
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
I think the AB system will work better seeing as the trades are split to OM2/1, SA* ect
 

plant-pilot

Midshipman
Awww, I was hoping they would appear when I or someone else had reached them and surprise me. There's nothing to look forward to now :roll:
 

Floppyjocky

Badgeman
It'll have to be a system that holds appeal to all (IMHO) so it'll have to cater for the RM.. not sure how the title AB will go down, just a thought.
 

andym

War Hero
PMSl,on another site(navyoppos.com)i have been,an OD,AB,Killick,Admiral of The Fleet,Ships Parrot,Dhoby Wallah and Chogey Tailor,in that order!Oh yeah whats with the medals then???
 
Top