Ranks and thelike

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by snorko, Dec 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have just noticed that I have been promoted(?) from Midhsipman to Badgeman??? How did that happen, who/what dictates when it happens?

Have had a look around the forum and the FAQ and have no idea...

Please help
    :?:
    TVM

2. The more posts that you post your rank will increase.

3. Works on the number of posts you submit , :roll: & congatulations mate on your promotion , :?

4. I'm hoping to be an admiral one day!

5. I know the ranking system on here goes on the number of posts made, but why after 500 posts does it jump from 3 medals to 5 medals?

And why are there members with only a handful of posts that have a chest full of medals? 'Cash for medals' enquiry anyone?

I understand the need to raise a bit of revenue but I think the rank/medal system should be left purely as an indicator of the number of posts a member has contributed, with the first medal going gold after say 5000 posts.

6. Fangita suggested the ranks back in February in this post, but only named 5 levels. As Midshipman has no medal, this means that there was never a missing rank, it was just an (unconscious?) decision of the COs that the top RR level should equate to the ARRSE symbol for top rank. I understand Bad_CO is looking at the system.

As for symbols, I agree with the donation being marked by a chest full of gongs, as it means that the poster has paid towards the upkeep of the site (currently subsidised by the users and owners of ARRSE). However, maybe that symbol should expire after a few months (3 months?) and revert to the number of posts-based ranking.

7. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I don't think it would work as it would be an absolute nightmare for the bosses to administer. As you're probably aware, on Arrse, the more money you donate, your medal colours/symbol change.