Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Rank on entry to BRNC

xdamr

Midshipman
Hello all,

I passed the AIB in Sept 06 and pretty soon afterwards was offered Logs entry to BRNC for Jan 07. So far so good. Unfortunately in late October a medical issue arose and I was informed that my entry to Dartmouth would have to be deferred for a year. Now, a year or so later, with medical issues resolved, I am set for entry in Oct 07.

Now here comes my question - what will be my rank on entry? In Sept 06 when I took the AIB the answer was pretty much that given by 'geoffrey' in this discussion - http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=212.html . I'm now 24, so I would have entered as a Sub Lt with seniority. I've heard that from Apr 07 this system changed - to what?

(As a bit of background, I'm 24 and technically a non-graduate; I studied Law for 3 years, but left in the third year with the degree incomplete - that means NCE rather than DGE entry)

Finally, while I'm here, a word of thanks to all those who have contributed so much to this forum - I'm finding it all great background reading as I prepare for October (forewarned is forearmed, as they say!).

Best wishes.

Are you sure about this? The Lt Cdr in charge of Logs admissions seemed to think that from Apr 07 onwards my failure to complete my degree would affect rank/seniority on entry. Now this conversation did take place a year ago, so my recollection might be faulty, but have there been no changes to the admission process since September 06?.

Hello & welcome to RR.

Rather than give you potentially inaccurate advice, the best bet would be to talk with your OCLO to clarify your entry status. It's rather surprising you haven't, given your imminent entry date & the fact that you would normally have an entry brief before you join.

My only observation would be that as you are not a graduate entry Officer, then it would be surprising, regardless of age, that you would be awarded any seniority upon entry. Happy to stand corrected by those more qualified in this particular field.

Either way, congratulations & good luck to you!

Officer Cadet....

Sorry, only joking! You will be a Sub Lt with one years seniority, which will mean that you start your first job as a brand new Lt (assuming you're not delayed along the way). The only people who break this rule are E(TM)/E(IS) for one reason or another. Reference is BR8373 art 0224 and table 2.3 (and if you really want I can send you a soft copy!)

Hope this helps,

Al

alfred_the_great said:
Reference is BR8373 art 0224 and table 2.3 (and if you really want I can send you a soft copy!)

Hope this helps,

It certainly does Al.

A cracking post for this time of a saturday night- my best wishes (condolences) to all your mates in the pub with you. You must be all having a marvelous evening.

Job's a good un' :thumright:

Ninja_Stoker said:
Hello & welcome to RR.

Rather than give you potentially inaccurate advice, the best bet would be to talk with your OCLO to clarify your entry status. It's rather surprising you haven't, given your imminent entry date & the fact that you would normally have an entry brief before you join. ...

Well no word of any entry brief so far, it was only this afternoon that I received my joining instructions. Contacting the OCLO was certainly going to be high on my list of priorities, so I'll confirm it with him, but given that I can't reach him over the weekend I thought I'd see if RR had a quick-n-dirty answer. Anyway, thanks a lot to you all for your input.

Ninja_Stoker said:
alfred_the_great said:
Reference is BR8373 art 0224 and table 2.3 (and if you really want I can send you a soft copy!)

Hope this helps,

It certainly does Al.

A cracking post for this time of a saturday night- my best wishes (condolences) to all your mates in the pub with you. You must be all having a marvelous evening.

Job's a good un' :thumright:

I'll say - thanks a lot for digging that up!

Sorry for my useless advice, i checked since and i was very wrong.

Interesting pay issue here tgh, the upper yardies with 11 years in the mob are being paid slightly less than new entries with degrees. Mental.

letthecatoutofthebag said:
With the risk of giving unsoliciting and, perhps, uninformed advice, I have it on relatively good authority that the policy on seniority on joining BRNC has reverted to what it was about 10 years ago - i.e. if you joing with a degree you join as SLt with one years seniority if you join with no degree you join as Middie with no seniority - regardless of your age. as far as I know this only applies to Direct Entrants and not SUYs.

Just in case this might turn out to be of interest to anyone else in a similar position I can now confirm that the above seems to be correct. After discussing it with my OCLO it seems that I will enter as a Midshipman with no seniority. It all seems vaguely ridiculous given that if I had started in January (which is when I ought to have gone in, all things being equal) I would have ended up as a S/Lt with 3 years seniority, but there we go, such is life.

xdamr said:
It all seems vaguely ridiculous given that if I had started in January (which is when I ought to have gone in, all things being equal) I would have ended up as a S/Lt with 3 years seniority, but there we go, such is life.

Thanks for clarifying for those that follow.

I think, had you scored higher at AIB, you would've previously only have entered with one year's seniority unless you were a graduate entry.