Random questions regarding joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Bondo95, Nov 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have gone from 80 to 84kg since I was weighed at my medical, will this affect me in anyway? (I know I'm getting fat) But I am fitter now than I was when I did my PJFT.

Are the kit musters really as bad as what I've read on here? Can you be discharged for failing them? From what I can make out you can fail for a spec of dust.

Cheers!

2. Yes, being fat will make you sweat more and be a source of ridicule to your classmates ;)

Yes, you can be binned for failing kit musters (plural), you get more than one chance to sort your personal admin out.

3. Haha! I'm far from fat, the fitness side of things doesn't concern me too much, I just wondered if there were rules against such things?

Okay, thanks. Is there anything I can do to prepare for them? I already wash and Iron my own clothes...

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Wash by hand? Vacuum your pockets? Shave your socks and jumpers?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I wash my rugby kit by hand when it's really muddy! No, I use the washing machine. I have never vacuumed my pockets, I'll start doing that. What do you mean by shave them? The only shaving I'm accustomed to is my face.

6. ExJ is taking the mick and fluff in the pockets is a common pick up point.

7. Oh! Its not nice to take the mick out of an unsuspecting young lad! ;)

8. exJenny

You obviously didn't have an excess fluff and bobbling issue with your kit Wrecks. The late 90s issue kit was a pig for it.

9. exJenny

I'm playing nicely. Been helpful at least twice today

10. Also, I've never climbed a rope before, could one be kicked out for not being able to climb them?

11. No, but the PT staff will give you "encouragement". They will also show you how to do it. "In two movements....claim your...ROPE!" You pick up the rope on on foot, stand on it with the other, thereby gripping it with your pussers plimmys (or see modern kit issue) Reach up, grab, pull, allowing rope to slide between feet until you are sort of L shaped. Then stand up using your oh so grippy feet to facilitate while your hands shoot up the rope. Repeat until shackle is reached. Touch shackle. Descent is fun. Eventually they will have you turn upside down, slide down face first, hands out to your sides, under control using your grippy feet...grabbing rope as you are close to deck and sliding gracefully back onto your feet at the position of attention. I weighed a lot more than you do, so you will be fine. You might get a little rope burn if you get too close but nothing too serious. Enjoy it, its actually pretty good fun, esp compared to doubling or pressups.

12. Learn to iron your shirts , creases in sleeves with no tramlines (multiple creases). Use a pressing cloth to avoid making your trousers shiny. Go easy on the steam. Get a good squirty bottle. Non stick Tefals are great, but someone will borrow it and melt shit all over it. Then they will fill it with tap water, which will go scaly n brown and leave an immovable rust stain on something white.
    Get familiar with your polishing brushes. Keep some old toothbrushes handy. And standby for incoming. The old salts hate the mention of irons, even in noob threads. Isn't there some sort of sticky/FAQ about this kind of thing yet??

13. ExJ, the 90's kit was a piece of wee wee to maintain. I was issued all cotton stuff and I'm resisting the temptation to wax lyrical about how hard the kit musters were at Ganges, but as I've mentioned it we had to..........

14. Try, try and be seen to try.
    Give it 110% - you will be told on many occassions - do it. The staff will note effort and with mark you up for trying - flop out - I can't do that, it's too tough, I'll get rope burn/ I feel sick/ my feet hurt/ my tits will explode are all good ways to get a single from Plymouth North Road station.

Oh and if you can't take a joke.... You should'nt have joined. (you'll hear that a lot).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You'll be saying next you've never carried a cutlass in your teeth when swinging aboard a man o'war. :pirate:

• Like Like x 4
  16. exJenny

One may get kicked out medically if one lets go and hits the deck.

17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Submariners are still pretty hot on rope climbing, they still do the old climb up the rigging etc when at sea. Do a bit of upper body PT everyday if you're joining the submarine service.

18. My advice is to ignore people who say 'give it 110%'.

You know what they mean, while realising they're talking absolute bollocks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cheers Ships! I will take what you said on board. Blobby, I'm not joining the Submarine service, quite the opposite in fact :) Hopefully letting go of the rope and hitting the deck wont be the case! A friend of mine dislocated his shoulder during a ropes session and was medically discharged...

20. Sign up for fog watch ASAP, probably the easiest duty at Raleigh.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1