Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

random memories

skimmer114/124

Lantern Swinger
Left in '76, some memories still stick. No wars just the mundane,
Stern lookout 2 am, totally clear sky millions of stars pitch black sea and the wake climbing up level with the toe rail then vanishing into the distance, nothing else anywhere, fcuk we are all truly irrelevant.

Different night, different ocean (Indian) Sleeping on the fo'c'sle with head under the guard rail watching the phosphoresce in the bow wave.

Taking a taxi into the jungle outside Singapore after offer of really good movies! Ended up God knows where in a bamboo hut watching 18++. There were insurgents who could have topped the lot of us and no one would have had a clue.

Lying nearly prone against the port side of the bridge looking up past the oow clinging to the binnacle on to the signalman suspended from the guard rail inside the starboard door and simultaneously listening to everything go to ratshit down the cabin flat access, wondering how much further before the forward mounting sheer bolts give up and how long it would take to release the handwheel nuts on the 'quick release' forward window.

On a banyan, barbeque and booze, in the Virgin Isles taking turns to blatt the Gemini up and down the beach, someone calls 'Shark' about 10 of us pile in (we are all p....ed) and find the shark in the shallows placing the boat right beside it. Killick stoker grabs a paddle and stabs down into oggin crying 'have at you you 'ba....d. Immediate thought-'we are in a fcucking rubber boat' followed by can i swim quicker than every other b'sterd?

Why was it always cold and raining leaving Portland ?

Reading that reminded me of several of mine! I'm not going to write them, as it could be seen like back-catting, but I do wonder how I (literally) survived a couple of them, usually, but not exclusively, involving wimmin and foreign ports!

It doesn't help that I'm 'game for a laugh' and 'it will be OK' and 'what's the worst that could happen?'

Happy days.....

Reading that reminded me of several of mine! I'm not going to write them, as it could be seen like back-catting, but I do wonder how I (literally) survived a couple of them, usually, but not exclusively, involving wimmin and foreign ports!

It doesn't help that I'm 'game for a laugh' and 'it will be OK' and 'what's the worst that could happen?'

Happy days.....
Boogie street

Hi Sonar, I hoped to just skim things that I recall that might chime with others. Nothing anyone writes is a black cat just a moment in time that puts us back there.

Standing in Dido's forward flat in heavy weather, jumping up just as she crests the swell and suddenly being really high. 17 year old didn't know about edible highs.
Reading that reminded me of several of mine! I'm not going to write them, as it could be seen like back-catting,

Hi Sonar, I hoped to just skim things that I recall that might chime with others. Nothing anyone writes is a black cat just a moment in time that puts us back there.

Standing in Dido's forward flat in heavy weather, jumping up just as she crests the swell and suddenly being really high. 17 year old didn't know about edible highs.
Yep, been there, done that too! Amazing how high you could get then how heavy you became! Just before you vommed........!

No! But one in Sattahip (Bangkok)!!

She said she loved me........

It was a she.

I think.
Was that Sattahip the naval base or Sattahip the village?
Did some day running on RTN ships out of Sattahip the RTN offered the use of the Officers accommodation. It was extremely spartan so we declined. First time sea running stayed at Ambassador City Jontiem very nice. On later trips stayed in Pattaya.

' Ull you say , which pub as it might be Taztiffs local . :)
Earl de Grey? used to park up near there when loading from Hull Docks. Some right rough female specimens frequenting that pub.
Earl de Grey is no longer there.
Dismantled brick by brick to make way for the new A63 underpass (allegedly). They say it was going to be moved about 2/3m but it is not there anymore!!
But yes, it had a rep, not normally for the female specimens though!!

The Forth pulled into Sattahip cos of bad weather , we had one boat with us but it was that rough she couldn't tie up so she went back out to sea.
A yank base invited us to visit their base and even sent trucks to ferry us there and back , all our blokes got on the trucks in pristine trop uniform but later returned covered in blood and beer/vom. Apparently Jack did his usual job of winding up the yanks and at one stage some curtains were set alight and it all kicked off. I never went as we were running auxilary and I had the first on the blr front.

Earl de Grey is no longer there.
Dismantled brick by brick to make way for the new A63 underpass (allegedly). They say it was going to be moved about 2/3m but it is not there anymore!!
But yes, it had a rep, not normally for the female specimens though!!
You're right there Taz. When I drove for Carline Transport (Newport) back in the '90's about six of us were parked up one night and went down the Earl to watch the strip show. One of the lads who hailed from Builth Wells, pulled this 'bird' and after buying a few drinks disappeared with this thing for a knee trembler. Ten minutes later he's back, knuckles all bleeding. 'What happened mate?' He replies, 'Got me paw down her knicks and grabbed a big handful of nuts and bolts so I went to belt the queer bastard one and missed and thumped the wall!' Rest of us just fell about laughing, how the hell he couldn't see it was a kite was beyond us.

Latest Threads