random memories

Taztiff

War Hero
' Ull you say , which pub as it might be Taztiffs local . :)
Earl de Grey? used to park up near there when loading from Hull Docks. Some right rough female specimens frequenting that pub.
Earl de Grey is no longer there.
Dismantled brick by brick to make way for the new A63 underpass (allegedly). They say it was going to be moved about 2/3m but it is not there anymore!!
But yes, it had a rep, not normally for the female specimens though!!

Stirlin

War Hero
The Forth pulled into Sattahip cos of bad weather , we had one boat with us but it was that rough she couldn't tie up so she went back out to sea.
A yank base invited us to visit their base and even sent trucks to ferry us there and back , all our blokes got on the trucks in pristine trop uniform but later returned covered in blood and beer/vom. Apparently Jack did his usual job of winding up the yanks and at one stage some curtains were set alight and it all kicked off. I never went as we were running auxilary and I had the first on the blr front.

taffscrivs

War Hero
Earl de Grey is no longer there.
Dismantled brick by brick to make way for the new A63 underpass (allegedly). They say it was going to be moved about 2/3m but it is not there anymore!!
But yes, it had a rep, not normally for the female specimens though!!
You're right there Taz. When I drove for Carline Transport (Newport) back in the '90's about six of us were parked up one night and went down the Earl to watch the strip show. One of the lads who hailed from Builth Wells, pulled this 'bird' and after buying a few drinks disappeared with this thing for a knee trembler. Ten minutes later he's back, knuckles all bleeding. 'What happened mate?' He replies, 'Got me paw down her knicks and grabbed a big handful of nuts and bolts so I went to belt the queer bastard one and missed and thumped the wall!' Rest of us just fell about laughing, how the hell he couldn't see it was a kite was beyond us.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Was that Sattahip the naval base or Sattahip the village?
Did some day running on RTN ships out of Sattahip the RTN offered the use of the Officers accommodation. It was extremely spartan so we declined. First time sea running stayed at Ambassador City Jontiem very nice. On later trips stayed in Pattaya.
Probably both! We did a couple of times alongside Sattahip and one time up the river actually in Bangkok. Antrim 73.

slim

War Hero
Probably both! We did a couple of times alongside Sattahip and one time up the river actually in Bangkok. Antrim 73.
RTN have a navy base in Bangkok but it is rather a way out.
It's in Samutprakan .
Unfortunately Samutprakan lies on both sides of the river and the RTN base is on the wrong side. :(
On the other side is the Crocodile farm and other attractions.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
Antrim 73, all circ pumps, fire pumps etc full of plastic bags. Worked from fwd to aft round the clock cleaning the bloody strainers.

slim

War Hero
Antrim 73, all circ pumps, fire pumps etc full of plastic bags. Worked from fwd to aft round the clock cleaning the bloody strainers.
Do you realise that you are slagging off

BANGKOK’S CHAO PHRAYA RIVER​

This translates as KING of RIVERS :)

It is fkn minging :)

Stirlin

War Hero
Hence the long prop shafts on the locals boats with the prop just under the water , usually coupled to a former car engine.

skimmer114/124

Lantern Swinger
Regret never made it to Thailand, Back to the Windies on Zulu we had a generator break down, As time passed and we drifted the Jimmy had a brilliant idea to stop us getting too bored. Made us rig the Fo'c'stle awning as a sail, I think we achieved 2 knots, possibly backwards. Were we the last RN frigate under sail?