RAN to offer Submariners up to $50,000 incentives

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
I can see it now.

OOW - "Chief Electrician, Motor Room at the rush, full earth on Fwd Battery"

Me - "On my way...be there in 20 minutes"

fishhead

War Hero
There is a good reason why the Aussies are prepared to offer big bucks to their submariners. The submarine base is in Western Australia and most of the population live thousands of miles away on the east and south east coast. Also the Aussie navy has nothing to learn when it comes to pissing off their sailors.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
There is a good reason why the Aussies are prepared to offer big bucks to their submariners. The submarine base is in Western Australia and most of the population live thousands of miles away on the east and south east coast. Also the Aussie navy has nothing to learn when it comes to pissing off their sailors.
At least Faslamabad is only 500 odd miles from civilisation :)

BillyNoMates

War Hero
At least Faslamabad is only 500 odd miles from civilisation :)
But look at the view. No rain, sleet, snow. No freezing your arse off at harbour stations
and they've replaced the police boat with Flipper the bush kangaroo.

Besides that - my brother in law and his wife live a few miles outside of Perth. Oh a bloke can
dream........anyway it's back to reality and nights and coffee and cheap quid microwave meals
and staying awake and driving home in a coma and going to bed and getting up and driving
to work and doing it all over again.

repoman

War Hero
It is roughly $2aus to the pound. I don't think the cost of living is much different but I am happy to be corrected.
Not nearly as expensive to live as it is in England...apart from a packet of smokes. Petrol is around 55p a litre at the moment. Milk is 1pound for 2 litres. Beer is around 2 pound for a schooner.

Sumo

War Hero
Not nearly as expensive to live as it is in England...apart from a packet of smokes. Petrol is around 55p a litre at the moment. Milk is 1pound for 2 litres. Beer is around 2 pound for a schooner.
How big is a schooner?

RabC

MIA
It is roughly $2aus to the pound. I don't think the cost of living is much different but I am happy to be corrected.
W.A. Particularly Perth is V V expensive due to all the mining and offshore stuff run from the State. To give you an example when working in Norway recently it was only the 2 guys from Perth who didn't have a major moan about the cost of living in Norway.

fishhead

War Hero
How big is a schooner?
It is a long time since I was in Australia and they may have standardised the measures across all the states now but in NSWs it was about two thirds of a pint. It was different in Queensland where they tend to drink beer in small glasses because the warmer weather makes the cold beer get warm to quickly.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was in Sydney in 1966 and they were serving it in a Schooner which was like a jug, it held about 2 pints and you were given small glasses (about a third of a pint) to actually drink from. We formed the habit of ordering a round of Schooners and drinking from them like a pint pot. We were asked to leave several places!

repoman

War Hero
was not questioning the content just the volume it holds? always fill it with Auzzy wine?
Sumo a schooner is around 375mils. Then there are middies, which are smaller, and 'pony's', which are for wimps or airy fairies....hardly worth the effort of picking up the glass

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Charity that ran a bar turns around following statutory inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Russian carrier ship which ran aground off Cornwall is refloated MoD News 0
S Transfer to RAN Submariners 12
PedlarP Missileer who ran 'violent street gang' gets 25 years The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Australian: "RAN Sick Of Tony Abbott's Use Of Phrase 'Drunken Sailors'" International 0
9 RAN culture puts sailors lives first International 1
The_Jimmy WW1 RAN Submarine History 0
The_Jimmy RAN JS Training Est History 4
The_Jimmy UPDATE On RAN Clearance Diver International 1
The_Jimmy RAN Christmas Phone Message International 3
G RAN a good go? Submariners 10
westwinds31 RAN ? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 10
N RAN PO Challenges Court Martial System Current Affairs 9
N Bullying of Female Officer RAN Current Affairs 40
MoD_RSS Government to offer antibody tests to health and social care staff and patients in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to offer testing for “everyone who needs one” in social care settings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor strengthens support on offer for business as first government-backed loans reach firms in need MoD News 0
E Defer entry after offer receive Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Up to £50 million on offer in first stage of criminal legal aid review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost for UK science with unlimited visa offer to world's brightest and best MoD News 0
C Offer of employment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS World's largest genetics research project to fight deadly diseases and offer new offer for international students MoD News 0
MoD_RSS All new rapid chargepoints should offer card payment by 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need national debate on rare diseases to offer the best possible care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More support to help employers offer T Level industry placements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister shares primary school confidence on offer day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Top Employers to help all primary schools offer careers education to pupils MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: National Nature Reserves offer £36 million of benefits to society MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary extends housing offer to veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Youngsters learn about careers on offer in growing Earth Observation sector MoD News 0
U Just got prov offer to start training at Raleigh in January RFA 10
vauxhall Offer an extension? Finance & Pensions 0
Richbomber Transfer offer received The Fleet 34
SuperNexus Got my Provisional Offer! RFA 10
MoD_RSS News story: Insurers offer better deal for Armed Forces personnel MoD News 0
fishhead A good offer? Blue Jokes 1
MoD_RSS News story: Banks offer better deal on mortgages for Armed Forces personnel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK makes counter explosives training offer to Pakistan MoD News 0
jacko_rn Provisional offer RFA 5
MoD_RSS News story: Apprenticeships offer the way MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Special Offer from Pen & Sword The Book Club 0
P How do we better the 'Army Reserve Offer'? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 132
Ageing_Gracefully Theatre Offer: The Two Worlds of Charlie F Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
G AETS's AIP reinstated but no back pay on offer? Finance & Pensions 8
soleil Four Weeks In May - The Loss Of HMS Coventry - David Hart Dyke - Special Offer History 1
soleil Airfix "100th Anniversary Of Naval Aviation Collection" On Special Offer The Fleet Air Arm 5
W Labour Party Offer To HMAF & Veterans (Merged Threads) Current Affairs 20
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Overhead Power Line Electrician - Full Training and Job offer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Overhead Line Electrician - Training and Job offer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Power Line Electrician - Training and Job Offer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0