RAN PO Challenges Court Martial System

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A lady RAN PO is challenging the Court Martial system in Oz where she has been charged with indecency whilst off duty, not in uniform and away from Military Property.

RAN

Nutty

2. Wonder what she looks like?

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Flat shoes, short hair by the sounds of it!

No but seriously, not a lot of detail there Nutty, why was she charged by the Military? I'm fairly sure in this Country she would have been charged for indecent assault ashore by the Civilian authorities, is this something peculiar to the new Courts Martial rules in Oz?

4. Agree there isn't much detail but: ........two women who were junior navy personnel

Might depend on whether they were in her chain of command or not?

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Damn my eyes! I never even noticed that Karma, that will teach me to speed read at this time in the evening.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

She sounds like a cracking run ashore! Perhaps if Rosie performed like that on the RR piss up, I wouldn't complain of harassment... :wink:

7. A cracking run ashore maybe
    BUT
    Have we not always had this, ie: Drunk driving charged ashore in civvies lost licence fined, return to base and bringing the "uniform" into disrepect
    charged and weighed off again

Which is correct IMHO irrespective of the charge

Jack McHammocklashing

8. It does not matter if the accused CPO was ashore, or in civvies or off duty, she has allegedly touched up her subordinates. She can be charged with assault under the DFDA. In her case this is a court martial offence. If the women she allegedly touched up in the pub the next day were civilians then the civvy police can lay charges, and if found guilty there would be 'admistrative consequences' from the Navy.

Gotta love the press though. The accused is an Officer in the headline, a Petty Officer in the first paragraph and a Chief Petty Officer in the second. :roll:

Unfortunately there are a lot of lefty-trendy, blouse tearing, bed wetting civvy lawyers who do not like the DFDA or the fact that the ADF has its own legal system. They are salivating for a chance to test its validity in the Supreme Court and have it done away with. What would replace it is open to question.

Sounds like the Chief has hooked up with some of those.

9. Lingyai wrote

Whilst I actually do agree with yor comment (that make a change doesn't it) the question is not whether the offence can be considered by the court but whether the Ausie court martial system itself is legal, the nature of the case seems to be irrelevat apart from making it more juicy for the press.

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Lingyai's posts deleted and unfortunately the quotation part of Maxi's altered too.

Lingyai, you probably have no lives left. You know very well you lost posts aplenty to the Mod's delete button before I turned my hand to moderating. You are mentioned in despatches and it isn't a compliment.