RAN a good go?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Greenie_877, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got any good info with regard to becoming an overseas candidate for the RAN.

I am thinking of taking it on in early 2010 after my service contract in Canada is finished. I would like to head straight into the submarine service and get back to doing the business again.

My wife is interested in the school system there are is looking for information on the music program specifically. Trying to find information or someone to talk with here is difficult and as the RAN doesn't post recruiting information here as they do in the UK.

Cheers for any info passed this way

Greenie

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Go onto the Australian Submariners site, Norm Williams who runs it can be very helpful, for a Stoker

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site Greenie_877, you could start by looking at this thread: RAN it may help a little.

4. Funny enough I have been in contact with Norm Williams as he is involved with the association site and slops van. I had not however thought to ask him about the transfer. I know of only one person who did make the switch back in the mid 90s. Perry G, who was a stoker. This had happened at about this point in the programs life where the whole thing was in the air as to the way ahead. My wife thinks that it would be a good opportunity for the kids and as I am not a officer but petty officer, as such I have no chance at a over seas posting. From what I have seen in the RAN it looks like they have there problems but are trying to improve. I have the Collins dvd movie from the slops van and it looks like a most interesting platform. I have worked with several officers who have had a posting in Perth for time on the Collins class and they have said little however. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas i suppose if you catch my meaning.

Greenie out

5. janner

Greenie, there is quite a tradition of ex RN Submariners transferring to the RAN, from the present day right back to when the 4th Flotilla was stationed in Sydney before the RAN had their own boats.
    Like the 6th in Halifax during the same period. This was the reason that a lot of Canadians and Australians served in British boats in the UK mainly during the late '50's and ''60's

6. There are people here in HFX that would go over to the RAN to sail as our program is in an uncertain state. Like i mentioned the officers who come down generally for a short time on boats have the chance to sail with other navy's like the RAN. But the men do not. I think personally it would be a retention boost if there were the opportunity to have postings like that. But as I was reminded things move slow.

7. janner

Great times, as I'm sure Nutty will agree, Boats were like a small section of the commonwealth, I was on the Alaric in '64 and we had Canadians, Australians, a Rhodesian (who disappeared overnight when they went for UDI) thinking back we even had Jockaneese aboard.
    I'm sure we all learnt a lot from each other, I still exchange the odd email with some of them

8. For a time during the 1980s some RAN MT and ET ratings did their part 3 on Canadian boats due to a large backlog of trainees waitng for a sea posting. (How times change) Also the UCs did SSSA in Canada while some Canadian techos did sonar courses in Australia.

There was no actual exchange of postings though, except for Officers. For many years Commander Sea Training was a Aussie in Canada and a Canadian in Aust. Unfortunately as we move further apart in our equipment and training these opportunities will become less.

9. Found those links a while back. Seems to me that interest here is building. I find it most interesting reading the Navy News and seeing the recruiting ads and also the New Zealand ad with information sessions. Recruiting does not generally happen in Halifax but we hear stories about people being recruited at the dock yard gates in Esquimalt. Truth or fiction it still is a good dit.

10. greenie Please PM me. I am going in to do reserve time at HMAS Stirling next week and the HR cell in the Submarine headquarters is run by a mate.