Raleigh update...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by smircula44, Dec 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Just about to start week three tomorrow, it's flown by so far. I am enjoying (most of) it. Got Pier Cellars on Thursday then I'm home for two weeks for xmas leave so looking forward to that. The lack of sleep is starting to get to me though, finding it very hard to stay awake in the power point presentations. My class are generally nice people, have a good laugh most of the time.

We have our Drill exam on tuesday with only one lesson between now and then, so hopefully will pass taht first time. Ive passed the 2.4km run and the Miltary Swimming Test already aswell.

Anyway, just thought I'd keep you updated as promised...

:thumright:

2. well done.
    Keep it up buddy

3. You'll love Pier Cellars mate, i'm just starting week four, we had it last week and its quality. Best advice is to definitely take ur civvy trainers with you as your HLC boots are gonna get proper wet, also the harbour that you go swimming in isn't as bad as it looks, trust me. The sods opera is a laugh and its a just a really good couple of days away.

4. Sorry if I sound daft
    But what is Pier Cellars?

5. It is a weekend break from the training and is a right laff.

6. Ah i see.
    Cheers.
    What do you do on it?

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. Extract from a trainees diary.....

Also this week we went to Pier Cellars for a couple of days of teamwork and adventure. Our first task was to trek around Rame Head with our Bergens packed with all our kit. Many of us suffered with blisters, but overall it was great fun.

The highlight of the day was the BBQ and the ‘Sod’s Opera’. There was some amazing talent on display with the impressions of our Divisional staff being my favourite, all while we were drinking our much welcomed three cans of beer!

On Friday our class, Starboard, took on the Port class on the assault course. This was teamwork at its ultimate. You don’t realise how wet, soggy and smelly you are until you finish when you then get such a feel good factor rushing through your veins because you have done it with the help of your team.

9. hey thanks.
    :thumright: :thumright:

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello smircula,

That has gone fast hasn't it?

Best of luck with the rest of it & remember when you come home on Christmas Leave absolutely no-one feels like going back afterwards, so you're not alone.

The thing to remember is that it's fine once you actually get back, it's the journey that's a wrench (we ALL feel that way). Enjoy your final week before leave, have a brilliant leave & don't lose sight of the fact that you've achieved so much already, don't wimp out (as some invariably will at least consider) after leave.

Good luck to you. :thumright:

11. Onto week 7 when I get back..

I'm pretty much shattered all the time, don't expect it to become easier either. PT gets harder, kit becomes harder with the No. 3's having to be washed and ironed every night/morning.

I hated Pier Cellars to be honest. I had awful blisters throughout which took 2 weeks to properly heal. Couldn't participate in the assault course due to it either!

Dartmoore is good fun, tiring and hard on the feet but so rewarding when you get to the pub at the end. The last 2km is horrible though, very windy, all up hill and seems like forever.

Good luck.

12. ....the place has probably gone downhill since they let all the other tribes loose on the place...used to be for the Purple Empires exclusive usage :rendeer: :rendeer:

13. i drive by pier celllars and Raliegh most days ,being tired is part of the Job but be positive keep smiling and have a super Christmas and New year it gets easier honest

14. I had no choice but to go back it was the only way i was fed,i had to get married to have a similar experience

15. Pier Cellars was the first time our class really started to bond, it's a good break from Raleigh where you really see the instructors let their hair down a little.

The SODS Opera is probably one of my favourite memories from my time at Raleigh.

Keep it up Shppers!

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You've only got two weeks left Ben- once you finish it, you don't have to do it again.

The thing to steel yourself against is the trip back- rest assured no-one feels like going back, but you'll be glad you did & feeling rather pleased with yourself come the passing in/out/whatisname parade.

Beware the"Lemming Syndrome" when you get back - there'll be a few that want to submit PVR- rest assured they regret it if they do. Most, if not all that submit PVR tend to roll-up back at the AFCO after a few weeks & are rather taken aback to learn then may not re-apply for 12 months or more.

Stick with it Ben & Good Luck, not far to go :thumright:

17. Pompey Matelots are much stronger, much fitter than there west country equivalents,a pompey matelot is a man of steel,i think im actually pissed or talking shit

Mod Edit: Both perhaps?

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is that a rhetorical question? 8O

19. Pure shit.

20. Good luck lads, stick with it, it's worth it in the long run.