Raleigh - Suitcase or Holdall?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Pilgrim_Laners, Jul 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just a kwik question on what everyone turns up to raleigh with, is it better to have a large sports holdall? or a suitcase?

cheers

2. I would personally take a holdall rather than a case, at least with the limit space you have a holdall can fold up, and pack down.

However could be wrong and I'm sure someone who has been to Raleigh will say from experience.

3. Holdall would be best I think mate

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's simply a matter of personal choice.

I've always used a rucksack simply because it's the easiest thing to carry across the underground.

A suitcase with wheels is preferred by some, but do bear in mind that you should be taking the minimum of items when you join, as outlined in the kit-list from the AFCO.

All bulky stuff- coat-hangers, washing powder etc., you're better off buying in Raleigh. rather than lugging it all the way there.The only thing I'd say buy at home is a steam iron as it's bound to be cheaper than at Raleigh.

5. Will they not think if we did that as us being unprepared, in case we don't have time to go out and buy them? If not that any idea how much these cost at Raleigh?

6. Don't worry about not being prepared. If you aint got it, some other bugger will have.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Generally you have at least 4 weeks from your entry brief before you actually start a Raleigh, so you've plenty of time to get the kit beforehand, but as you join on a Sunday anyway, there's time to get the bulkier items from the shop in Raleigh rather than have to lug it the length of the country.

Best bet is to go by what your AFCO advise at the entry brief.

All the kit needed, not including your iron, amounts to around £25 roughly. You shouldn't pay any more than £20-£25 (absolute max) for your iron incidently.

8. Got a few things of the list, and got till October to get the rest was just wondering about what NS said about getting it there if they would like put it against you for not taking it.

9. I wouldn't worry too much, anything you really need should be available in the shop and you'll have plenty of opportunities to grab anything you've forgotten.

The right way to spell it is quick, it's only got one more letter.

Yes, I am being pedantic but I hate the deliberate bastardisation of the English language.

10. Christ, seems to me that nowadays you take more stuff with you than i got issued with.

11. Yeah, but Hig, when you joined up all you got was a bump on the head and you woke up at sea.

12. I keep seeing people mention this but for some reason I imagine that it's just an exaggeration. Is it really advisable to bring an iron to training? I'm very interested in looking at the kit list which tells you what you have to bring. Hopefully I'll get mine soon.

13. So what about it Hig ... we're you press-ganged?

SF

14. Almost forgot. Pilgrim mate - definintely a grip for all the reasons stated above. Something not right about blokes with suitcases which have wheels. Bit girly if you ask me.

SF

15. I fully expect (as a civvy) to be nuked for this - who cares I'm grown up(ish) - there's something about this thread which sickens me - you great soft fanny - millions of children are dying for lack of clean water - think about all the other deprivation that people suffer and you are wittering on about a suitcase - get a life you sad git!

perhaps this is a wind-up - surely someone couldn't REALLY be this feeble :threaten:

16. Just to let you know, bring your own iron ( a good one). Doesn't matter about what you put the stuff in but you'll be lumbering around for a while, and at raleigh you'll put it in a storage room so apart from coming down to Raleigh and coming back you shouldn't use it, apart from keeping extra kit in like civvies (bring trackies, casual and smart casual). You can only wear civvies on a few occasions

17. I should imagine that a hold all would be preferable to a clutch bag with an off the shoulder number and red slingbacks but then who am I to judge? :thumright:

18. Ninja_Stoker

Oh dear, I'm beginning to like this thread!

Think we saw several pages on "do I get a haircut before I join?" too.

It may seem like an innocent question, but there's a lot of veterans out there with no hair, sob....

The thoughtless swines....

Standby to be nuked Strawberry Mivvy....[​IMG]

19. Save that little number for your first run ashore to Charlie's.

20. Take a large holdall with you, you will be told to take out the stuff you need for basic, then the rest will be locked away until you pass out/in.