Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raleigh reading...

sandy71

Midshipman
Afternoon folks, cheers for all your advice and banter on here, got Raleigh on the horizon on the 15th July and really can't wait... Fitness is going well, as in i'm regularly doing a wide variety but just wondering is there any reading up i should be doing before entry? I've read up on my role and what i'll be doing etc but is there any further general reading/specifics i should be using my spare time wisely with???

Cheers!

This may sound silly but learn how to bull shoes, wash and iron kit and then just for good measure do some more phys - kit is a big part of life at Raleigh so if you know how to do it properly it will pay off in dividends when you get there

paddy_scribbles said:
This may sound silly but learn how to bull shoes, wash and iron kit and then just for good measure do some more phys - kit is a big part of life at Raleigh so if you know how to do it properly it will pay off in dividends when you get there
an yes I know there was absolutly no reading in my reply lol - no cushie option here of sitting down an reading a book lol

DON'T read Uncle Albert's forthcoming Blog entry on his basic training.... or you'll suffer from severe Cold Feet Syndrome and homesickness before you even set foot in a naval training ship!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hello Sandy, well done mate, good luck & all the other platitudes.

You may well have already read this on the RN website, if you have, my apologies, but if you don't know where it is- it ain't obvious!

Have a mooch around this lot, there's loads of helpful info:

Raleigh Training Diary

Again, enjoy it, it'll change your life beyond recognition. Truly.

the_matelot

War Hero
Sandy,

Try not to flap too much over it. You'll have a scream in basic training-trust me! Just relax for the next 3 weeks or so and if you can, get someone to show you how to iron properly-it'll make your life so much more easier and keep up your levels of fitness as well!

It's almost 10 years to the day since I joined Raleigh. I still have fond memories of it. :)

Anyone on here 26-30 entry from 1997????

sandy71

Midshipman
Cheers folks, i'm so looking forward to it now, got the usual occasional case of butterflies and that but the rest of the time its the whole kid before christmas syndrome... Been mainly concentrating on swimming/running/push ups/pull ups and sit ups... oh and eating like the proverbial horse... Will let you know how i get on. Again - cheers!

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Sandy, try and get hold of a copy of 'Lost Voices of the Royal Navy' by Max Arthur (2005) a great read with eyewitness accounts of life in the RN from 1914 to 1945.
Although it won't be like the tales told for you it will give you some idea of why you should be so proud to be joining the RN.
Good luck at Raleigh.
NZB

Learn to wash and iron clothes. and polish shoes, boots. This will leave a lot of time to help others and yourself.
Don't spend long periods on t'internet. You do have to be up early.
Oh yes and smile, instructors find it hard to shout at you, except CPO K***********

theymademedoit

Lantern Swinger
Sorry to hi-jack your post. But I just wanted to say I too am going to Raleigh on the 15th! So I'll see you down there.

You'll know me, I'm the 3ft, Pre-pubescent looking manchild!

Well done Oppo, and best of luck down at Raleigh!

Unlike the Matelot who left training in Raleigh 10 years ago, I left Training at RNAS Bramcote, HMS gamecock, Nr Nuneaton 51 years ago, hope this helps.

Ninja_Stoker said:
theymademedoit said:

Will you be wearing something distinguishing so as to make yourself identifiable?

Yeah, I'll be the one with blue trousers, blue shirt, black boots and a flat white titfer with HMS Raleigh written on it ! :thumright:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
higthepig said:
I left Training at RNAS Bramcote, HMS gamecock, Nr Nuneaton 51 years ago, hope this helps.

Not half, Hig.

Can't beat a spot of cutting-edge advice over on this forum mate.

Ta.

theymademedoit

Lantern Swinger
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
theymademedoit said:

Will you be wearing something distinguishing so as to make yourself identifiable?

Yeah, I'll be the one with blue trousers, blue shirt, black boots and a flat white titfer with HMS Raleigh written on it ! :thumright:

LMAO!

theymademedoit said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
theymademedoit said:

LMAO!

just thought I`d follow the trend.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
higthepig said:
theymademedoit said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
theymademedoit said:

LMAO!

just thought I`d follow the trend.

How childish.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
T Raleigh Entry date Joining the Royal Navy 5
P Social media at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B 10 weeks at Raleigh as a reserve Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
T Raleigh Entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
P Raleigh post Joining the Royal Navy 18
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
C Raleigh December 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
O Raleigh Fitness Assessment? Joining the Royal Navy 4
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Gematria Insoles at PRNC and Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
P Break after 10 week at Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 14
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
SnowGoose My advice for starting Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
F Raleigh 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
R HMS Raleigh and guide dogs Joining the Royal Navy 5
F Raleigh Christmas Leave 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
L Fitness for HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Will summer leave alter Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
E Starting my journey at Raleigh 7th October Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Start date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
Ghost29 Raleigh kit questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Ghost29 Raleigh secure locker Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Ghost29 Raleigh Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Ghost29 Naming at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
silentcomms Travel to Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Raleigh start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
U Rnr Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 0
U HMS Raleigh for naval reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
D Raleigh summer leave dates 2019? Bases / Shore Est 1
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Medical Assessment at Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 5
S HMS Raleigh video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
LeedsBornLeedsBred Week Six at Raleigh - Any Questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14