Raleigh reading...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sandy71, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon folks, cheers for all your advice and banter on here, got Raleigh on the horizon on the 15th July and really can't wait... Fitness is going well, as in i'm regularly doing a wide variety but just wondering is there any reading up i should be doing before entry? I've read up on my role and what i'll be doing etc but is there any further general reading/specifics i should be using my spare time wisely with???

Cheers!

2. This may sound silly but learn how to bull shoes, wash and iron kit and then just for good measure do some more phys - kit is a big part of life at Raleigh so if you know how to do it properly it will pay off in dividends when you get there

3. an yes I know there was absolutly no reading in my reply lol - no cushie option here of sitting down an reading a book lol

4. DON'T read Uncle Albert's forthcoming Blog entry on his basic training.... or you'll suffer from severe Cold Feet Syndrome and homesickness before you even set foot in a naval training ship!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Sandy, well done mate, good luck & all the other platitudes.

You may well have already read this on the RN website, if you have, my apologies, but if you don't know where it is- it ain't obvious!

Have a mooch around this lot, there's loads of helpful info:

Raleigh Training Diary

Again, enjoy it, it'll change your life beyond recognition. Truly.

6. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Sandy,

Try not to flap too much over it. You'll have a scream in basic training-trust me! Just relax for the next 3 weeks or so and if you can, get someone to show you how to iron properly-it'll make your life so much more easier and keep up your levels of fitness as well!

It's almost 10 years to the day since I joined Raleigh. I still have fond memories of it. :)

Anyone on here 26-30 entry from 1997????

7. Ninja_Stoker

Only your instructors probably!

8. Cheers folks, i'm so looking forward to it now, got the usual occasional case of butterflies and that but the rest of the time its the whole kid before christmas syndrome... Been mainly concentrating on swimming/running/push ups/pull ups and sit ups... oh and eating like the proverbial horse... Will let you know how i get on. Again - cheers!

9. Sandy, try and get hold of a copy of 'Lost Voices of the Royal Navy' by Max Arthur (2005) a great read with eyewitness accounts of life in the RN from 1914 to 1945.
    Although it won't be like the tales told for you it will give you some idea of why you should be so proud to be joining the RN.
    Good luck at Raleigh.
    NZB

10. Learn to wash and iron clothes. and polish shoes, boots. This will leave a lot of time to help others and yourself.
    Don't spend long periods on t'internet. You do have to be up early.
    Oh yes and smile, instructors find it hard to shout at you, except CPO K***********

11. BR-67, is a barrel of laughs, especially the jokes about the Frenchmen.

12. Sorry to hi-jack your post. But I just wanted to say I too am going to Raleigh on the 15th! So I'll see you down there.

You'll know me, I'm the 3ft, Pre-pubescent looking manchild!

Well done Oppo, and best of luck down at Raleigh!

13. Ninja_Stoker

Will you be wearing something distinguishing so as to make yourself identifiable?

14. Unlike the Matelot who left training in Raleigh 10 years ago, I left Training at RNAS Bramcote, HMS gamecock, Nr Nuneaton 51 years ago, hope this helps.

15. Yeah, I'll be the one with blue trousers, blue shirt, black boots and a flat white titfer with HMS Raleigh written on it ! :thumright:

16. Ninja_Stoker

Not half, Hig.

Can't beat a spot of cutting-edge advice over on this forum mate.

Ta.

17. LMAO!

18. Sorry, just had to be said !

19. just thought I`d follow the trend.

20. Ninja_Stoker

How childish.