Raleigh PVR policy

Cal144

Hi all, after being at Raleigh for 3 weeks I became quite sick and was in med bay for a week, I have been sent home for 1 week on sick leave and should be returning afterwards. However, due to personal issues and many other things going on in my life I have decided I no longer want to continue my training. Therefore, I have my heart set on leaving but was wondering how it would work as I am already home.
Does this week and the week spent in Med bay count as “serving” as I’m aware you can only PVR after four weeks of service?
If this is the case, must I still go back to Raleigh or can I leave without doing so?
I am only 16 and I know it sounds stupid but Raleigh has caused me a lot of issues mentally and things going on at home haven’t helped.

I hope you can understand my decision and I would appreciate any knowledge on this topic, thank you.

klgreload

Badgeman
You must return back to Raleigh (you will be in deep shit otherwise) and submit your PVR. If you submit it on the Monday you will have the table and be gone by the wednesday. However I assure you after week 3 it’s all up hill. I wanted to leave in week 2 and I just turned 17 but sticked with it. Very grateful I did stick with it as now I have a amazing career for life.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Taken from BR3(1) - "All new recruits enlisting in the Naval Service, who have not previously so enlisted, have a statutory right to claim discharge within their first 6 months of service, provided that they have completed a minimum 4 weeks’ service (excluding leave periods and any forfeited service) from their date of entry, or until the day before their 18th birthday, if this comes after the end of the 6 month period."

I would suggest your sick leave still counts as service. However klgreload is absolutely correct, you have to return to Raleigh before you can PVR. Only you can make the decision as to whether to PVR and I don't know what the personal pressures are, but I'd consider it very carefully. The second half of INT is much better than the first half, and life outside of Raleigh is completely different. You still have the right to PVR up to the 6 month point, maybe you should consider giving it a chance.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The "clock" starts from the day you join, whether fit, or unwell.

In my experience, most people that submit PVR (admittedly not all) regret it with hindsight. Reason? There's usually a one to two year rejoin caveat applied. Also, for those who do rejoin after submitting pvr, upon re-entry the opt out is no longer available which means a minimum of 4+ years service.

As stated above, don't even consider not bothering to return as it will bite you in the arse. Example? A guy rocked up at my AFCO aged 60+. "I've come to hand myself in" he said. "Eh?" I enquired.

"I went on the run in the 1970's" he said, "Never paid tax, national insurance, etc. Just learned I won't get my state pension"

"Mind the door doesn't hit the back of your head on the way out, mate"

What I would recommend, however is you give Raleigh a ring, state you wish to quit upon return and ask what actions you must take. They may possibly decide there's an alternative to rejoining Raleigh....then again, they may not.

Cal144

Thank you very much ninja, I will give it a long think and will chat with my parents and will give Raleigh a ring, thank you.

Sumo

War Hero
My advice if you can finish Raleigh and pass out, the you still have 4 months to think about whether the Navy is for you. Regrets after quiting Raleigh with a possibility of a 2 year wait, is nuts for the sake of giving it a chance first time around, don't worry about being back classed you will soon make new mates, I am still in contact with some of the guys I joined up with in 1974. Give it some real serious thought. Good luck.

Ballistic

War Hero
My advice if you can finish Raleigh and pass out, the you still have 4 months to think about whether the Navy is for you. Regrets after quiting Raleigh with a possibility of a 2 year wait, is nuts for the sake of giving it a chance first time around, don't worry about being back classed you will soon make new mates, I am still in contact with some of the guys I joined up with in 1974. Give it some real serious thought. Good luck.
@Cal144

Wise words from Sumo.

Take note and good luck.

@Cal144

Hi again,

Just to add that, whilst the prospect of completing Raleigh might still appear daunting, if you can hack it before PVR-ing that achievement would be a distinct Plus on your currently blank CV for whatever you decide to do in the future.

Crunch time approaches & I have every sympathy for your current turmoil - Noting that, with your previous ambition & determination, you'd already leapt all those hurdles to arrive at HMS RALEIGH last month (and probably cracked those blessed bed blocks which concerned you previously?) You'd be surprised at the No. of other poor applicants who never even get that far!

BTW - If your parent(s)/guardians have concerns they could seek assurance by contacting the Training Staff direct on your behalf and/or by reading through/contributing at this thread opened up by @janner [Both he & I joined up separately at the tender age of 16 too - Way, way back when this was all fields empty ether :WINK: ]

https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/parents-page.167474/

"For all of those whose offspring are in the joining up or just joined the Royal Navy stage. It will keep all queries together and make for an easier reference point for those seeking information."

Best of Luck, and do let us know how it all pans out for you please!

Grandaddy Bob L :)