Raleigh dates over Christmas?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by hello_there, Aug 26, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would anyone on here happen to know the exact dates that Raleigh breaks up for over Christmas ?

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Should be 23rd December and return 8th Jan to start training again on 9th.
    @WreckerL will confirm when he's back from his hols I'm sure.

3. Why not stay on board - You'll get both dates and figs...;)

4. Those are indeed the dates for Raleigh Xmas leave this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. cheers. can't decide if it will be a good or bad thing to have a 2 week break during basic training...

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Difficult shout.

It's not easy transitioning between early starts, long hours, separation, limited communications, discipline, physically & mentally demanding days to restful lie-ins, relaxing drinks in the pub with friends & loved-ones, eating as much as you like and virtually no phys, no-one shouting anything beyond 'dinner's ready', and then, click. Back in the room: early starts, long hours, separation, limited communications, discipline, physically & mentally demanding days...

After every leave period there's a sharp rise in voluntary withdrawals from the service. For those maybe with a partner, or children or limited previous experience of separation from their loved ones, particularly those under age 20, it's all too much and they quit. The mental strain upon return to the 'rigours' of training is simply too much.

Generally, about a month after the end of a leave period, AFCOs are toppers with people saying 'I made a mistake'. To which the reply is usually 'You did. Come back in a year or two'.

7. I'm glad I didn't have a break when I went through, but then it could be worse; the current batch are coming to the end of 4 weeks off! Some of them will have spent more of their career on leave than at work.