Raleigh basic training

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by Sara850, Oct 9, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if I can send stuff to my son while he's at Raleigh , IE birthday card / small gift?
    Didn't want him to go with it to Raleigh incase he gets into trouble for taking stuff not on the list.
    Also are they allowed to call home and how often etc.
    He goes very soon so keen to find out
    Yeh I'm such a mum I know
    Many thanks X

2. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

I only had one phone call from my son in ten weeks! They can call at a certain time of night once everything is done but they are so busy you may not hear much. Sunday was quite a good day for contact after they'd been at church. Phone bans are very common so don't worry too much if you hear nothing. I'm not sure about sending birthday gifts but maybe a card would be ok?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Parcels and cards can be sent. They are held in the mail office and your son will have to go and sign for them.

You'll probably get a phone call when he's homesick/got a downer on/needs money*

*delete as applicable :)

No phone calls means it's going fine and he's enjoying himself!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That 100% echoes my intended response. Spot on :)

The other bit to remember is when the little darlings do ring home, the 'hardships' endured are usually somewhat embellished. We don't even flog them nowadays.

The other thing to remember is that as soon as they've finished the call in which they've ladled their woes upon their rels, they forget all about it and crack-on. Meanwhile, their loved ones are in bits with worry. I did it to my parents, my predecessors did it and your son's kids will too,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks peeps. That helps . I'll send him something God knows what. It's his 19th while he's away. Suggestions welcome X

6. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

At least with him being over 18 you won't get the phone calls saying they've been naughty :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Hi it's me again neurotic mum
    Stupid questions.
    He joins Sunday and on his kit list it says laundry powder etc.. I've got him a box of laundry tablets a months worth. I take it there's a shop where they can purchase more at Raleigh only I can't send him with 10 weeks worth surely.
    Also some people have mentioned a family day mid training? I thought they were 10 wk solid with no family input. Just want to see if that's true or not.
    Finally, do they (instructors) keep you up to date on how your kid is doing?
    This is going to be tough. For him and me lol. He's never been away from home for more than a week.
    Cheers
    Sarah X

8. Hi - I would cautiously suggest that powder might be preferential over tablets (unless others know better of course) just in case he has to do any washing by hand. Most is by machine nowadays, but there might still be the odd occasion when the old fashioned manual method is required. I'm sure someone else will come along and advise shortly...

Instructors will update you if there are problems...so no news is generally good news.

And there is a shop on the base.

• Like Like x 1
  9. [​IMG]
    Sounds like this might be a good read for him, as it's a book it will not be a big parcel and therefore not upset the mail room lady,he doesn't want to get on the wrong side of her,trust me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi last thing. He's off tomorrow to Raleigh. His checklist says "3 sets of shoe brushes". Now I think that means 3 x2 lots IE 6 brushes, hubbie says it means 3 actual brushes . Can anyone confirm which it is before we kill each other.
    Thanks xxxx

11. Re the powder reply. Thank you I will swap the tablets for powder or get him some powder too xxxx

12. The question you should really be asking is: "How many shoe brushes are in a set?"
    Once you know how many are in a set, just multiply by 3.
    Hope that helps :D

13. Exactly! Lol
    3 sets (6brushes that says to me, seems a lot )!

14. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

It seems a lot but I'd send 6 brushes lol. I know my lad bought another set there to keep for show as I'm sure his kit list last year only said one or two sets.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Look, he'll need two sets of kit - one for using and one for inspections. If you need any inspiration just watch the film 'An Officer and a gentleman'. But only because there is not a film called 'A Matelot and a Scrote'. (Mum, I'm teasing, no he won't)

On the Brushes thing, Mum, everyone works their own way out of doing their footwear. I personally keep two sets of polish and brushes for boots and shoes, as I would not want the one set contaminated from the other (little bits of grit and stones from boots ruin your bull). I actually bull with Cotton Wool Balls (100% cotton, not the ones with Viscose in). Cherry Blossom Parade Gloss = accept not substitutes. All available from the NAAFI in the 8 minutes freetime a day that he will have.

If he does call because he wants to wrap his tits in, tell him to man up and crack on. He'll thank you for it later. He gives up, he'll always wonder 'what if'??? As @Ninja_Stoker will tell you, loads of young people who jib then try to get back in and then go to bottom of pile'

TOUGH LOVE!!!!!!! Zeb has done all this and we took the mick out of her as well. The Naval family always looks after its own.

If he ends up with too many brushes he can always end up as Brush Baron of Fisher Block.

I've worked with Cdr T and the Captain of Raleigh over the years - I'll warn them off he's coming. He'll be the lad with loads of brushes...:D

• Like Like x 3
  16. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Yes they all took the mick out of me but I didn't mind :) my lad survived and has just finished training. Any stupid questions pm me :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. He'll need a nickname if he wants to be a proper matlot. I'd like to suggest 'Basil' :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One can never have too many shoe brushes. Or free socks.

Always remember: There's no such thing as a daft question, but plenty of near-misses :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lol thanks guys xx
    Fear not. If he phones wingeing I will indeed tell him to man up.
    Im keeping my distance and not messaging unless he messages me.
    Keep focused and all that.

• Like Like x 1