Raising the drinking age to 21

Will raising the age limit stop the mindless violence

• Total voters
I find it interesting that this is the same Government that is seriously considering lowering the voting age to 16 and allowing 16 year olds to work within the Police (Prefects, chav Monitors).

As ever, the ones who are sensible have their way of life sodded up for the sake of the nobbers who have never been taught or never learned how to behave. We have at least 2 generations on our streets with large elements that are out of control. The cause is not alcohol.

As Cheshire is my county of birth, it grieves me that Warrington is now part of it and that yer man Fahy is its Chief Constable.

Governments of any kind should not be blamed for the state of the nation, true it is governments that runs the nation, but (at the moment at least and ostensibly) it is the nation that makes the government (much the same as the statement that a people get the police they deserve, after al the police are of the people are they not/ we don't bring aliens in to act as police yet do we? 16 year olds maybe but ET?)

The nation wants to be run that way and thus allows the government to make the rules that it does! and people follow them because they want to!

But basically if, in this question, we are able to fight, vote etc for the country surely we should be allowed to enjoy(?) the benefits of that society?

Bring back the family? certainly but in the first instance make it worthwhile for the family to function - Tax breaks for married couples, only one male and one female to be able to constitute a marriage, etc etc and when the obvious advantages of marriage are actually advantages and the only way to gain them is to be married (if you divorce or become a single person family you loose out - big time!) then and only then will we begin to sort out this sick society we live in!

safewalrus said:
Bring back the family? certainly but in the first instance make it worthwhile for the family to function - Tax breaks for married couples, only one male and one female to be able to constitute a marriage, etc etc and when the obvious advantages of marriage are actually advantages and the only way to gain them is to be married (if you divorce or become a single person family you loose out - big time!) then and only then will we begin to sort out this sick society we live in!
I fear it is not the lack of family that is the problem though, many single parents do a damn good job of bringing up their kids, and many families don't. Where I used to live, described as 'Little Bosnia' by the local press most of the trouble was traceable to three families living in one block, who basically did what they did because they thought they could get away with it. When the council evicted them things changed for the better for quite a period because the council had actually done something and troublemakers were no longer invulnerable.

peter your missing the point, yes there are exceptions, but generally as I said one must ensure that the 'family' is an all powerful unit with the correct composition and rewards such that those who are not part of such a unit do not receive these rewards! give them several years of this and then over time the culture will change slowly. Same way as it has changed to date, slowly - bit like tradition really!

Hawkeye said:
sussex2 said:
Raising the drinking age will not change things one atom.
Excessive binge drinking has been a symptom of northern european culture for years. In Shakespears Hamlet, the lead character murders his father whilst drunk. 'There is something rotten in the state of Denmark' is talking of the drunkeness normal at the time.
Drunkeness nowadays is probably less problematic than it has ever been. In the early years of the last century drunken pupils of Eton school regularly rampaged through the town; thus it is not a class thing(Chavs to me have never been distinguised by so called social class).
As for a drunken matelots doing no hurt or damage in days of yore, well I think that is not the case; it is just that because we were young and daft ourselves we didn't see the hurt caused.
Sorry Sussex but I don't agree with your post are you saying that because I was young and daft and was drunk I committed acts of violence and damage but could not see what I was doing ? don't think so matey .
Can't remember murdering my father or to that matter anybody else.
When I was drunk I still knew right from wrong and the value of a human life.
Yep! I Agree that even when totally sloshed I also knew right from wrong, but did wrong nevertheless.
The difference now is that what is wrong is blurred, sometimes for the better and often for the worse.
Bottom line for me is that things now are probably, for most people, a darn sight better than they have ever been.
I've been reading the following and it makes for instant sobering stuff:
'The Good Old Days' by Gilda O'Neill isbn 978 0 141 01938 3
Imagine 800 child murders in just one district of London per year, few if any investigated by the police! More bombs on London Tube trains than now and more fatalities, and this was in the 1880's.
Perhaps we are just old farts and can't see we did any wrong, but I reckon we did. It wasn't intended as viscious or nasty but it had the same effect.

Raising the age limit will not stop the current culture of binge drinking and neither will raising the age limit. Let's face it, the ones with the most disposable income are the ones that are going out and getting shiters then kicking off.

Obtaining drink whilst underage is easy. It was easy enough for me and is so much easier nowadays. The difference is, when I were a lad I didn't want to draw any attention to myself and spoil my chances of going back for more ale. Now they don't care.

I don't think it's just the alcohol, it's the mindset of those that are doing this. And it's not just the teenagers. There are plenty of twentysomethings that totally lose control when they've had a few sherberts, so raising the limit to 21 will make sod all difference.

It's been said before that the changing layout to pubs has made a difference. By opening pubs up into one big room with fewer tables it means people have to stand which apparently encourages them to drink quicker and hence more.

AAC - the rot certainly seems to have set in when Mrs T held the reigns.
The old bat shattered this country and as you say emasculated the workers.